Huggies Forum

PUPPS Lock Rss

Marti,

Where can I get more information about PUPPS? I am 30 weeks pregnant and heave been feeling off colour for a few days and have developed over the last week a very dry, itchy, painful red rash on my lower tummy, hips, outer thighs, bottom and lower legs. My Gp said it was just pregnancy rash, but I would like to try and find out some more information as I have never heard of PUPPS before and am a little worried.

Michelle :~

Well,sort of speaking to your Dr,you can find some info on the net.Just type PUPPPS into a search engine.(It does have 3 P's!)

As far as I was advised,it is very unlikely to happen in a second pregnancy (although I have spoken to someone who had it),and it normally starts a bit later than 30 weeks,so you could be safe.Basically,you will know the difference between a rash,and PUPPPS,because PUPPPS makes your skin all raised up,and you can't stop itching!!! I had my mum in tears when I was laying in the bath during labour,she had never seen anything like it.

Now,I have my little pregnancy battle scars,because PUPPPS was like strech marks on my skin,I have deep stretch mark scarring!

Marti, NSW, Baby Boy born on 17th July 2003

Thanks for your reply,

At this stage I am pretty confident that I don't have PUPPPS... my rash has settled right back down to a level where I am 85% comfortable now, still red, dry and itchy though. I was concerned because the rash raised up like welts for a few days and was painful, but now it has gone back down. I am going back to my doctor this week and will probably get a blood test done to check my liver function... just for peace of mind. I don't think you can ever be too careful at 30+ weeks into your pregnancy.

I appreciate your post and your reply.

Michelle.
Hi Michelle,

I have to agree with Marti, searching the net is the best way to learn about PUPPPs. I got this great reference material from the UK where it is referrred to as something different. It shows pictures of what it looks like which will help determining it. The info is at home so I will let you know tomorrow how to find it.

It isn't the best thing in the world to have but do insist with your doctor to look at it more if you are concerned cause there is PUPPS which is benign and a similar rash called PG which is a liver function problem which can be dangerous to bub. I was prescribed this cream called 'Betnovate Ointment' for PUPPs which I have been assured by 3 different drs and pharmists is perfectly safe for baby and I am calling it the 'miracle cream.' This cream has worked a treat in actually reducing the rash and the itching. I have the rash right down my front half between my chest and upper thighs. As soon as it flares up on with the cream and the redness and itchiness goes away for a few days. Without the relief I would have gone mad over the final weeks of pregancy ... I was ready to leave work at 32 weeks.

Hope the rash continues to get better for you and good luck with your Dr.

Jo

Ryan (2) & Jayden (18mths)

Definitely consult your Dr when you go there this week Michelle,as Jo said,it isnt pleasant,and if there is any doubt in your mind,I am sure it would be better to get rid of it as soon as you can!

Thanks Jo & Marti,

I will be seeing my doctor on Thursday. So I will find out for sure then if I need to be concerned.

Thankyou both for your replies and assistance it really is appreciated more than you know. smile

Michelle.
Add me to your contact list Michelle.

Durstt@hotmail.com

Hi Marti,

I have added you to my contacts and have sent you a brief e-mail, so you will now have my details too.

Thanks again,

Michelle.
Michelle,

If you do a search on the internet and type in 'PEP' and 'Martin Black' you should be able to find this article on PUPPS written by Martin Black which is about 5 pages. It shows photos and has a pretty good description of it if you want to find out more.

As I said earlier PEP is the UK reference to PUPPS. It stands for Polymorphic eruption of pregnancy.

This article says you are double as likely to get PUPPS if carrying a boy which I know you are too.

Jo

Jo,

Thanks so much for the info!!

I do however think I am going slightly mad... :} as I seem to have no rash at all now...?

I went from just being dry and itchy to having a full-on painful raised itchy red rash and after 3 days of that it has disappeared... I now just have dry skin and a bit of an itch again.

I am going to speak to my doctor more about it, but if I was fortunate enough to only have one erruption and then have it subside within a few days then I will count my blessings... wink

I hope your rash has settled right down too... I know how awful I felt for those 3 long itchy sore days.

Michelle smile
No worries Michelle, when the rash was at its worst for me I just tried to find everything I could about it to find some relief.

Please let me know what your Dr says. I too have a check-up this Thursday (my 34 wk one). I haven't seen my regular doctor for a month cause he was in Bali (lucky thing). Before he left he told me I was having a 'textbook' pregnancy and could get away with waiting 4 weeks for my next checkup if I liked. I think he jinxed me because the weekend after my checkup the rash came out and I was off to see another doctor to get some answers. Isn't it always the way!

Luckily my rash seems to have burned itself out a bit too. It only comes out now if I itch my skin which I try not to do. As soon as I feel the itch I put some of the benovate ointment on and it relieves it so the rash doesn't get raised.

Take Care
Jo

Jo...

Glad to hear your rash has kind of burned itself out. I am still happily rash free, so I am wondering if I had a reaction to something instead? I could drive myself mad second guessing, but will still be mentioning it to my GP.

...Text book pregnancy, is there such a thing? Some thing always pops up when you least expect it. Here's hoping the remaining weeks of your pregnancy are trouble free and you have a great labour and easy birth too.

Thankyou so much for your help, advice and kindness,

Michelle.
Sign in to follow this topic