Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Pregnancy
  5. Uncomfortable sleeps and sore ribs!

Uncomfortable sleeps and sore ribs! Rss

Hi - is there anyone out there that can give me advice on how to get comfortable at night?

I'm 30 weeks pregnant (my first) and have read in books that you shouldn't sleep on your back in the third trimester (which I find most comfortable) so I've been trying to sleep on my side with a pillow under my belly and between my legs. But after a few hours of lying like this I get really sore hips so have to move - normally on to my back.

What's with the sore hips? My midwife said it's just pressure from the extra weight - but what can I do to get a decent sleep?

Also I've had a continuous pain in my ribs for about the last week - the only time I don't feel it is when I'm standing or walking but as my job is mostly sitting I'm finding it difficult to get comfortable in my chair? Is it just where the baby is lying at the moment and when I'm sitting it's squashing everything up?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Debs, NZ, Mum to Rory born 19/01/04

Hi Debs. Oh are you bring back memories!! I spoke to my obstetrician regarding not sleeping on my back. I too use to try to sleep on my side but would always wake up on my back. He said there is not much you can do about it and a good night sleep is the best thing in the world for you. The only thing that did help me was sleeping on the lounge on my side with my back against the back of the lounge. It was virtually impossible to roll over onto my back. Your hips will be hurting as you are trying to stay in the one position for to long a time. The pain is from that and the extra weight on top of trying to remain in the one position. My advice would be to just try to get as comfortable as you can and get as much rest as possible now as once the baby comes it will be months before you will be proper rest.
I too had the pain in my ribs. I had to see a physio who use to massage and strap my shoulders with tape. This is due to your baby growing and pushing all your inside things up and out. What happens is your rib cage actually stretches 10cm!!! Aparently this never goes back ( I am now pretty broad there and have difficulties getting a bra to fit) and it only happens once so if you are wanting more children you should not have that pain again. On the up side as soon as my baby was out this pain did go away but I did get a lot of problems in my shoulders from the stress of trying to breastfeed. My baby was only 7 days old & I was back at the physio for treatment.
The pain in my ribs was at times excruciating. I too had a job where I sat all day. I took in some pillows and some days it helped and others it didnt. I spent some days standing up. In the end work supplied a special chair for people with back problems. This could be adjusted in just about any angle and I use to move it constantly through out the day. I even had problems sitting in the car and couldnt drive for the last couple of weeks. I also found a heat pack at night did ease the worse of it. I hope its all over for you soon as I know exactly what you are going through and it is NOT fun at all. Good luck!
I'm 28 weeks (first) and experiencing the same problem on both issues. I still haven't found a comfortable solution for sleeping and I have been quite irritable the past week as I'm not sleeping properly, my husband is just surviving.

I read something last week on the ribs that they lift about 5cm as the baby is putting pressure on our body and the rest of our body is running out of room. I guess there isn't much we can do about this. I also sit at work all day, I find getting up every hour and going for a walk relieves the pain.

Mel

Son, Alexander 2, Baby 2 due 6th July

Hi Calebsmum and MelissaX

Thank you both for replying - your comments have been very helpful! I am still experiencing the pain in my ribs and am still having fairly sleepness nights.

I have gotten myself one of those kneeling chairs for work which helps ease the pain a bit and I get up quite often to walk around which helps also. I only have 2 weeks of work left which I am really looking forward to finishing!

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy Melissa. I'll keep an eye on this website to hear about any progress.

I too am having great problems sleeping and am often still awake until the 'am' sitting online or watching TV! It drives me insane and not being able to get comfy at night doesn't help! My fiance can't get anywhere near me to cuddle me due to all the pillows! Is anyone else hot all the time? I always used to be cold but can't have any covers on me at night anymore as I just boil! It'll all be worth it in the end!
Hi
I know exactly what you mean about all the pillows in the bed! It's terrible and I'm sure it makes you even hotter but I can't sleep without them unfortunately ... I guess it's just our bodies way of getting us used to lack of sleep before the baby arrives!

It's probably worse in Aussie but over here in NZ it's been really muggy/sticky heat in the last few weeks so makes for a very uncomfortable last few weeks of pregnancy. I don't think I have had a full night's sleep for about 3 months now - constantly getting up to go to the loo or tossing and turning trying to find comfortable positions ... it just isn't happening! Oh well, only 3 weeks to go for me hopefully!

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy ... just think, the best is yet to come!

Hello. I hate to tell you but when you are pregnant your body temp does increase a couple of degrees so YES you both will be really feeling the heat you poor things. I bought a little babies wadding pool and use to sit in that to cool myself down. Not to mention the heat also causes fluid and swelling so by 8 and half months into the pregnancy I didnt have any ankles and my toes looked like fat little saugages.........not a good look. But on the upside I too had a terrible time when I was pregnant but 17 months later we are talking about baby number 2. So it must be true when they say that you forget it all. I hope things get better for you both. Take care and try as much as you can to rest even if not sleeping but just resting. Dont forget to get those feet up!!
Oh, I remember being so tired and so frustrated in the later stages of my first pregnancy. My daughter loved to shove her feet up into my rib cage and I thought she would break it. I actually got sick with a bad cough around 30+ weeks and ended up in hospital because I thought I had cracked a rib. Luckily I hadn't. I can relate to all those who are unable to get comfortable, that is just part of the pregnancy process. We all just do our best to cope and count down the weeks and days until our precious bundles are due. I was advised not to sleep on my back because it puts too much pressure on the spine and blood vessels. I could only sleep on my left side because my ribs were painful on the right side. My poor left side ached so bad, that some nights I slept in an upright position in a recliner lounge chair. It is true that it will be all long forgotten after the baby is born. Trust me. I said I'd never go through that again and now I am 9 weeks pregnant with my 2nd and am very happy about it. Goodluck with finding whatever it is that gets you through. Whenever I couldn't sleep I would rub my belly and talk to the baby. I found it very soothing. All the best to all those uncomfortable mums... smile Michelle
Sign in to follow this topic