Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Pregnancy
  5. pregnancy and hormones in breast milk?

pregnancy and hormones in breast milk? Lock Rss

Hi, bit of a question that has me a bit perplexed????? My DD has been off her food for the last week, wasn't sure what was making her throw up and not eat. Tried many different things but all she has wanted has been my milk. This has been trying as I was on the path to wean her and had her down to 2 feeds a day and now we are at roughly 8 a day. I originally put this down to seperation anxiety as she has just started daycare, plus a molar is coming through. Soooooo many variable in the mix.

But then I noticed my food wasn't tasting the same and although she didn't have a temp, maybe it was a bug because I started doing the same things.... off my food and the odd bit of nausea.

This morning .... just to rule it out ... did a preg test .... and as you may have guessed it is positive!!!!! Far out!!!!! I am still spinning, excited and nervous, but back to the topic.

Could my hormone changes be affecting my breast milk and giving DD the same symptoms?
(REALLY HOPING whatever she is reacting too passes soon, with soooooo many bf's we are back at the #3's explosions .... ewwwww, haven't missed them!)
Not too sure if it would make her sick but I have heard if you are pregnant and breastfeeding it can change the taste of your milk.
Congrats on the pregnancy smile
I have heard that being pregnant can change the taste of your breast milk but hard to say why bubs is off food. Could be that has a bit of a virus/bug. Could be the teeth. I found our twins went off their food a little whilst teething and also when were having their "growth spurts". Would not hurt to phone your GP and have bubs checked out for piece of mind. Congrats on the pregnancy by the way. Wish you all the best.
Don't think the hormones go through to bub, I never had any dramas with either of my first 2 suffering morning sickness but the taste of the milk does change, from what I understand it usually gets more watery & its not quite as satisfying for them so they tend to drink more - I found it very easy to get DD (bub no 2) to take a bottle as the cow's milk actually tasted better to her lol. As PP said, if bub's getting her back teeth in that could be why she is off her food. Good luck and Congratulations, so jealous smile

Robin

Congrats on your pregnancy!!!!

I'm pretty sure your hormones pass through your breast milk, but not in quantities enough to have that effect on her. So I'd hazard a guess that she has a bug of somesort, even without a temp. Pregnancy hormones can make the milk taste different and some bubs self wean at this time because they dont like it, others just ignore the taste change and keep on at it. Another thing is that pregnancy can decrease your milk supply or run havoc with it. I fell preggers when ds1 was 4 months old. My milk supply was fine at first and the taste change only bothered him for a day or two. But when he was about 7 1/2 moths old my supply was all over the shop. Sometimes hardly anythng and others i could express 220mls no worries. He self weaned at 8months. so maybe try expressing and see if you get much, she may be demanding it more often as she isnt getting a lot???

Not too sure if it would make her sick but I have heard if you are pregnant and breastfeeding it can change the taste of your milk.
Congrats on the pregnancy smile

Cheers smile that would explain some things, just when I think I'm getting a handle on it, it all changes again. Best job in the world smile

I have heard that being pregnant can change the taste of your breast milk but hard to say why bubs is off food. Could be that has a bit of a virus/bug. Could be the teeth. I found our twins went off their food a little whilst teething and also when were having their "growth spurts". Would not hurt to phone your GP and have bubs checked out for piece of mind. Congrats on the pregnancy by the way. Wish you all the best.

Thanks very much, today she does seem more teeth problem related, but finally ate a little bit more smile Ahhh for a crystal ball somedays smile

Don't think the hormones go through to bub, I never had any dramas with either of my first 2 suffering morning sickness but the taste of the milk does change, from what I understand it usually gets more watery & its not quite as satisfying for them so they tend to drink more - I found it very easy to get DD (bub no 2) to take a bottle as the cow's milk actually tasted better to her lol. As PP said, if bub's getting her back teeth in that could be why she is off her food. Good luck and Congratulations, so jealous smile

Thanks so much, we are so rapt, but it hasn't come as easy as the last. I will try more cow milk, it sounds like a good idea as I would still like to encourage some weaning. Also tonight her bug seems to have eased, I didn't force dairy on her earlier in the week as it was not something she could keep down, but it seems she can handle it again ... thank goodness smile
Thanks again

Congrats on your pregnancy!!!!

I'm pretty sure your hormones pass through your breast milk, but not in quantities enough to have that effect on her. So I'd hazard a guess that she has a bug of somesort, even without a temp. Pregnancy hormones can make the milk taste different and some bubs self wean at this time because they dont like it, others just ignore the taste change and keep on at it. Another thing is that pregnancy can decrease your milk supply or run havoc with it. I fell preggers when ds1 was 4 months old. My milk supply was fine at first and the taste change only bothered him for a day or two. But when he was about 7 1/2 moths old my supply was all over the shop. Sometimes hardly anythng and others i could express 220mls no worries. He self weaned at 8months. so maybe try expressing and see if you get much, she may be demanding it more often as she isnt getting a lot???

You must have a sixth sense smile I was actually taking the time to express today and after an hour I could only get 30 mls, and that was by hand, the electic pump just wasn't getting anywhere. Thanks so much for your advice, I have no idea what to expect still bf and pregnant. Its reassuring to know it will change a lot, so I won't think I am so crazy in the future. I hope to have the luck you had with little one self weaning ... fingers crossed smile Thanks again
Lol, just thought I would mention morning sickness must be contagious ..... DH now suspects he has it too, poor bugger smile

Hi, bit of a question that has me a bit perplexed????? My DD has been off her food for the last week, wasn't sure what was making her throw up and not eat. Tried many different things but all she has wanted has been my milk. This has been trying as I was on the path to wean her and had her down to 2 feeds a day and now we are at roughly 8 a day. I originally put this down to seperation anxiety as she has just started daycare, plus a molar is coming through. Soooooo many variable in the mix.

But then I noticed my food wasn't tasting the same and although she didn't have a temp, maybe it was a bug because I started doing the same things.... off my food and the odd bit of nausea.

This morning .... just to rule it out ... did a preg test .... and as you may have guessed it is positive!!!!! Far out!!!!! I am still spinning, excited and nervous, but back to the topic.

Could my hormone changes be affecting my breast milk and giving DD the same symptoms?
(REALLY HOPING whatever she is reacting too passes soon, with soooooo many bf's we are back at the #3's explosions .... ewwwww, haven't missed them!)

Hi, I have not read anyone else's replies but yes, your hormones do get passed into the breastmilk and yes they generally do effect the baby. But the benefits of breastfeeding still outweigh the negatives of the hormones being passed through. I have breastfed during pregnancy 3 times, each time my older children were definitely unsettled and effected. My kids were very young at the time of me falling pregnant, but as they grew to rely more on their food and had regular but small breastfeeds instead of this being their main nutritional source, it improved for us.

The hormones being passed through is what is responsible for the older fashioned belief that you shouldn't breastfeed during pregnancy -- however studies have been done and the hormone levels are considered safe.

The milk also becomes less filling, so feeds will probably increase at least temporarily, as normal supply and demand changes (so milk supply does not necessarily increase when your child feeds more). And, depending on the stage of pregnancy, the milk can also become part-colostrum, thicker and more difficult to drink (and digest?).
My DD was still comfort feeding when I fell pregnant. My 1st clue that I was pregnant came from her. She said "yuck" when she had her boobie that night. So it definately tastes different. My supply also dropped off dramatically, I'm pretty sure there was nothing there a few months into my pregnancy. Good luck with your pregnancy and your toddler smile

Sign in to follow this topic