Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Pregnancy
  5. Which is more accurate in determining how many weeks pregnant?

Which is more accurate in determining how many weeks pregnant? Lock Rss

Hi!
I know my date of ovulation, I was using LH strips and going by that I would be 7.5 weeks pregnant.
I had a blood test last week, and the HCG results had me as a week behind that.
I have an obstetrician appointment on Tuesday, and I'm pretty sure they will do an ultrasound then.
But I'm not sure which of the others I should be going by? I got my positive test just short of 2 weeks after the day I ovulated, so I'm hoping it's that I go by ovulation? I'm going to be peeved if I have to take a week off! LOL!

You usually go by the first day of your last period. It's much more accurate as your ovulation date will vary from person to person.

I agree with the person above!
Everyone HCG levels are different.
My HCG levels where so high my doctor thought i was having twins and even sent me for a second dating scan!
Im not having twins by the way!!

You usually go by the first day of your last period. It's much more accurate as your ovulation date will vary from person to person.

My periods are extremely irregular, and my last period was 6 weeks before I ovulated, so can't go by that unfortunately!

Oh that does make it difficult then! You might have to rely on a dating scan.... even then they're not particularly accurate so it might be a bit of a guessing game for you...

Perhaps the best way would be to look at your ovulation date and add 2 weeks because that's how a normal cycle would work... so if you got your bfp a week ago it would make you 6 weeks along

Getting the bfp 2 weeks after ovulation would have made you 4 weeks along at the time if you hadve had a normal menstrual period, is that how you calculated it?

Oh that does make it difficult then! You might have to rely on a dating scan.... even then they're not particularly accurate so it might be a bit of a guessing game for you...

Perhaps the best way would be to look at your ovulation date and add 2 weeks because that's how a normal cycle would work... so if you got your bfp a week ago it would make you 6 weeks along

Getting the bfp 2 weeks after ovulation would have made you 4 weeks along at the time if you hadve had a normal menstrual period, is that how you calculated it?

Yep - I did an online calculator from date of ovulation. It basically added on 2 weeks from that date. Which yep, would have made me 4 weeks when I got my BFP, and 7.5 weeks now. I was pretty confident that would be right until I got my blood test results, and they put me a week behind that, so I'm hoping my dates are more accurate than the HCG levels!

Hrm I don't think anyone will be able to give you a definite answer on this one..... hcg levels also vary from woman to woman but.... that's why some women get a brighter line on their preg test than others... the more hormone the brighter the line!

Either way..... you're utd! Congrats! laugh

remembering too i think from memory that the sperm doesnt meet the egg straight away when it is released from the ovary, it can take days grin

Hrm I don't think anyone will be able to give you a definite answer on this one..... hcg levels also vary from woman to woman but.... that's why some women get a brighter line on their preg test than others... the more hormone the brighter the line!

Either way..... you're utd! Congrats! laugh

Hehe that is the main thing! Thanks smile

remembering too i think from memory that the sperm doesnt meet the egg straight away when it is released from the ovary, it can take days grin

I did think wonder if it was that but I also got the positive test quite early, it wouldn't have quite been 2 weeks since ovulation, so I'm not sure if that means anything?
At least it's only a week either way, but hopefully I'll have a better idea after seeing the obs on tues smile

Sign in to follow this topic