Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Gestational diabetes Rss

Hi Ladies,

Firstly, I would like to thank you all for taking the time to read my post and for the precious replies but writers have deadlines and I had to find a case study very quickly. I am a freelance writer and the main feature writer for Practical Parenting magazine. The rhesus article will come out in the November issue, I think? I got some great replies and some touching stories. It is great to share life experiences. My daughter is very intellectually gifted but suffers with Autism and that has nearly sent me over the edge on occassion.

Practical Parenting is running a story on gestational diabetes in the December issue, if anyone has an interesting story to share the mag would love it. I would never print something posted on this forum, but usually interview via phone. That protects everyone's privacy.

This is the best parenting forum I have found and I wish I could spend more time here but apart from being a writer and mum, I am also a medical science student.

Anyway back to writing and studies

Cheers

Susan
come on guyz
ur gotta have some stories to tell susan, besides join the club caitlin is going to be in the december issue too!!
sorry susan i never got to the stage where they test you, as i had caitlin at 26 weeks...

karen,NSW, mummy to Caitlin Born 14 weeks early

I'll let you know in about a week!
my last glucose test was 10.4 and that was with a glass of milk for brekky. i don't eat junk food either!! i have my next test on wed (6th) when i know my results, i'll let u know
Hi Karen,

Thanks for your reply and support. It is sometimes hard as a writer getting people to share their experiences, but i think we all benefit from it.

Cheers,

Susan
Hi Jennie,

Sorry I've been late getting back to you but my daughter gave me some sort of nasty viral infection and I slept for the whole week! Being a mum can run you down sometimes.

I appreciate you sharing your experience so far. I hope you don't develop gestational diabetes, but if you do there are treatments so don't panic.

Good luck with your test results this week and I'll keep in touch.

Take care,

Susan
It's good to hear that Practical Parenting will be doing a story on gestational diabetes, as when I was diagnosed with it during my first pregnancy I found it difficult to find much information on it.

I was diagnosed during the routine blood test, had a followup glucose tolerance test which confirmed that I did have diabetes. I was then refered to an edocirnologist and dietician, and managed to control the diabetes though modifications to my diet - though I found it difficult to control the diabetes, but still eat enough to gain weight during the last couple of months of my pregnancy.

During my second pregnancy I was told I had a greatly increased chance of developing diabetes again, so was tested quite early, but with negative results. I was then retested at the usual time, again negative, so I didn't have to worry about it any more. I have been told though that I do have an increased risk of type 2 diabetes, and that I should have my blood sugar levels checked every few years.

Good luck on your article. If you would like any further details, please provide an email address and I would be willing to talk with you.

mum to 2 girls

Hi mum2girls,

I am very interested in your contribution to the article. The piece is already finished and ready to be printed. I just need to interview one more mum. My email is susan.stevens1@bigpond.com
I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Susan
Sign in to follow this topic