Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Pregnancy
  5. Preparing your body for birth... Any Ideas?

Preparing your body for birth... Any Ideas? Rss

Hi to all the mum's out there,

I am 23 weeks pregnant with my second bub and wondering what other mum's did to prepare their bodies for birth to help the process along.

My first labour was an extremely exhausting 14 hours and I really don't want to go through that again!

All suggestions, thoughts and ideas are welcome.

Michelle smile

This post has been edited by the moderator.
Toni,
You and I are sooooooo on the same wavelength with so many topics!
I also had a short labour with out any pain killers, gas or intervention. I used my mind to stay completely positive and remember what the outcome would be, I'm not saying there weren't times when I could've given up and had some pain relief but i always said, just wait 20 mins and see how you feel and by then i realised if i made it those 20 mins i can make it 20 more and so on!
I also did perinieum masage during my last month in the shower to strengthen the area and didn't tear, even with a 4.2 kg baby!
Im not saying im a miracle worker but if you at least try them, you've given it a good shot at having a natural labour if thats what you want to aim for,
I found that after the actual birth I was back to myself really quickly, I even got up and got dressed 15 minutes after delivering and then walked over to the maternity ward from the labour room, i felt better then when i walked into hospital as i felt so much lighter!! The midwives were all shocked as Neena was so big!
Good Luck with the rest of your pregnancy and beyond!

Sarah,VIC 18mth daughter

Hi Michelle,
I know exactly how you feel, I had a similar experience with my first which ended in a C-section. One thing I am going to try this time is Raspberry Leaf Tablets, my understanding is you start taking them 6 weeks b4 your due date (any earlier can result in early labour), and it helps tone the muscles you will be using, as well as making the labour shorter. I sugest you check with your midwife for any suggestions (including seeing what she says about the Raspberry Leaf).
Try and get a reasonable amount of exercise, such as walking. I am trying this myself as well as I am 28 weeks along, but am finding it hard due to pelvic pain.
Also make sure you are doing your pelvic floor exercises as these muscles get one heck of a workout during birth!

Rachelle, NZ, son George 10.12.02, Ian 15.06.04

Hi Michelle,
I agree with Rachelle, I took raspberry leaf tablets with my first and my labour was six hours, no stitches. They say the raspberry leaf strenghtens the uterus muscles and it's also good for bad period pain.
Also doing your pelvic floor muscle exercises, as much as possible.
Sleep!!!!!!!!
that's the best to prepare you, the more rest you have the more you can handle a long and painful labour.
Hope this helps, all the best

Mandy.

2 cuties 7/5/99 & 8/9/04

Definitely sleep as much as you can I reckon.

Nush,Qld mum to Caitlin(18/8/00)and Ella(24/7/04)

Hi Michelle, smile

I really agree on the Rasberry Leaf tea. I was drinking 4 cups a day the last 4 weeks, and 3 from 30wks preg. The result was a text book birth, no stitches or grazes, and only 5 hrs of true labor.

Make sure you do your pelvic floor exercises, i am sure you know what i mean!

My sister has invested in a yoga/pregnancy book, and is doing lots of leg exercises, to strengthen her thighs,

Just a few ideas,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

I would definately go with the Raspberry Leaf Tea, and also massaging the perineum with almond oil (or the like). I only had about 3 hours of true labour and am sure this helped!

Mummy of 2 little angels. 6/6/03 & 3/8/05 & No 3

i cant really help you but when i was expecting my 1st baby i did yoga and hypnotherpy and aromatherapy it was good to to do some differnt things . i also saw a herbalist who made up a disgusting drink called black or it may hve been blue cohosh to help with the labour but it was all in vain as the bub was stuck and i wnt in for a emergency c section!

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

i recomend u walk walk and do more walking cause it streches the muscles to make them more flexable. plus its ur 2nd baby it might not be as long as ur 1st cause you've already went through all the pushing and stretching and all that.

Salwa, 2 girls, sydney

Hi,
One major thing that I would recommend is a check up at the chiropractor. If you don't already have one, find one you feel comfortable with. It helped me all through the pregnancy, with all day sickness, cramps, back aches and heart burn. After the birth I saw my chiro and immediently I felt so much better. my body just ached, and the relief was so good.
Good luck with everything

Lisa, SA, baby girl (4.5.03)

Hi Michelle

The best thing I did forp reparing for both my birth was in taking Evening Primrose Oil. From around 38 weeks I started taking them orally but also inserting one at night internally. After a week increase the dose to three capsules internally.

What it tends to do is relaxes everything and helps the dilation move faster. My first labout was 6 hours, my second three. Also, I felt nothing at all until I was 6cm dilated.

They do leak a bit after insertion so wear a pad. Sounds a bit yucky but believe me, it really works.

The other hint I have for you is to take arnica throughout the labour. This helps you bounce back quickly and even though I did have some tearing (I had big babies), there was no pain whatsoever afterwards.

Talk to your midwife about these things, it was my midwife who put me on to them.

Jos, mum of two

Sign in to follow this topic