Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Having an Internal???? Lock Rss

Hey Girls!
Quin here I am 40wk+3 now and have to go 2 the hosp 2morrow 2 c the Dr and have an INTERNAL. I am a little (I lie, not a little a lot) nervous about it and was wonderin what it actually invoves, what it feels like and if it hurts??????? PLZ get back 2 me ASAP. Want 2 know everythin.

Mumma of 3.

I had an internal at 39w5d as I was going to be induced and they wanted to see how my cervix was (I was 2-3cms). For me it was the midwife who just put some fingers up there and felt the cervix. There was pressure but no real pain, but that probably changes if you are feeling uptight or uncomfortable.

The midwife also stretched my cervix which involved her putting her fingers inside the cervix (again more pressure) and manualy stretching opening the cervix. This was a little uncomfortable, but again not really painful. I found the hardest thing was holding onto my bladder (tmi, sorry) with all the pressure.

I guess my advice would be to relax (I know it's hard) and let the Doc that you are nervous. And remember it brings you one step closer to seeing your beautiful baby. GOOD LUCK!!

Hayley, NSW, Liam 07/02, Beth 09/04, Nate 03/06

You poor thing, you are in the wars at the moment. An internal is no more painful or uncomfortable then having a PAP smear. So in other words, yep it can be damn uncomfortable and depending on the skill and (finger size) of the operator, maybe slightly painful aswell. They are checking to see if your cervix is ?dilated, ?thinning out (which is called effacing) Not a definate diagnosis, but hope this helps. cheers

Angie, DE 15/12/05 ,TAS

Sign in to follow this topic