I had an Nuchal Translucency Scan at approx. 12 weeks and was totally shocked when the Doctor told me there was a 1/46 chance of my baby having Down Syndrome. I didn't know what to say, think, or do, I just sat there staring at the Doctor. I was advised that I could have further invasive tests to find out for sure and decided to have a CVS, as I could have this done ASAP rather than waiting until I was 16 weeks for the Amnio. A CVS is very similar to an Amnio but they take a small amount of placenta rather than the fluid, there is a slightly higher risk of miscarriage about 0.5-1% more but I knew I couldn't wait.
I had the CVS a week after the Nuchal Scan and we decided to pay extra to have the results rushed through, so we only had to wait 48 hours for the results, which still felt like a lifetime (it normally takes about 10 days for the results). The good news is that the results came back all clear and we found out we are having a beautiful baby boy, I am now 23 weeks pregnant.
So don't panic, it may very well all turn out to be fine, but I can totally understand what you are going through, it was the hardest week and half my husband and I had ever experienced, I think I went through every possible emotion and felt like no-one could really understand what I was going through, although like you I was very lucky to have a wonderfully supportive husband.
Hang in there and think positive. If you don't think you can wait until 16 weeks maybe talk to your Doctor about the CVS, which you should be able to have done now.
Keep us updated.
Alex (NSW) - DS 20/3/2006