Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Amnio Lock Rss

Hi,

I am currently 13 and half weeks pregnant with my second child and am 35 years old and yesterday I got my nuchal fold test results back from my doctor. My first (who is 14 mths old) was 1/5720 chance of having down syndrome and is a very happy healthy baby boy but the results for my second child was 1/162. I was a bit shocked and my doctor had already arranged for me to see another doctor that morning to discuss having an amnio. Needless to say my head was spinning. After seeing the second Doctor I have decided to have an amnio when I am just over 16 weeks (can't have it any earlier). My husband is being very suportive which is a great help. I was wondering if anyone else have had to have an amnio and how things worked out?

Cheerss

Pauline

Mum of Two lovely children

Hi Pauline, I am a mother of 2. I have a 1 year old girl and a 4 year old boy that has downs syndrome. Yes naturally I had an amnio with my 2nd and whilst it was very frightening it all went very well. I hadn't even had the scan done. Don't read to much into your result from your scan. It is only a percentage after all not conclusive. I did have the scan done with my boy and it came back as an extremely low risk as I was only 23 at the time. I have also known of alot of people that are in the same boat as you and their results came back fine. So I am sure you will be ok,as there is allot of support out there no matter which way you go. I am now in my thirrd pregnancy and have booked in for another amnio, at least you have your husbands support, as my husband doesn't like the idea of it at all. The way I look at it is. Even if you are not going to do anything about result, I can prepare myself, enjoy my pregnancy without worry and like I explain to my husband I don't want my first question after birth to be IS THE BABY ALRIGHT? It is a joyous occasion and should be left as precisely that. Good luck with everything.
Melanie

Mel,WA,4yr,1yr, expecting

Hi Pauline

I had an Nuchal Translucency Scan at approx. 12 weeks and was totally shocked when the Doctor told me there was a 1/46 chance of my baby having Down Syndrome. I didn't know what to say, think, or do, I just sat there staring at the Doctor. I was advised that I could have further invasive tests to find out for sure and decided to have a CVS, as I could have this done ASAP rather than waiting until I was 16 weeks for the Amnio. A CVS is very similar to an Amnio but they take a small amount of placenta rather than the fluid, there is a slightly higher risk of miscarriage about 0.5-1% more but I knew I couldn't wait.

I had the CVS a week after the Nuchal Scan and we decided to pay extra to have the results rushed through, so we only had to wait 48 hours for the results, which still felt like a lifetime (it normally takes about 10 days for the results). The good news is that the results came back all clear and we found out we are having a beautiful baby boy, I am now 23 weeks pregnant.

So don't panic, it may very well all turn out to be fine, but I can totally understand what you are going through, it was the hardest week and half my husband and I had ever experienced, I think I went through every possible emotion and felt like no-one could really understand what I was going through, although like you I was very lucky to have a wonderfully supportive husband.

Hang in there and think positive. If you don't think you can wait until 16 weeks maybe talk to your Doctor about the CVS, which you should be able to have done now.

Keep us updated.

Alex (NSW) - DS 20/3/2006

Hey all,

I had an amino - I am only 23 with my first and my doctor told me not even bother having the optional triple blood test but I insisted. The results come back 1/200 chance of downs where for my age it should have been something like 1600 or much more. So I went and did the amino - which was a little scary coz bubs kept moving around and then after 2 weeks of waiting for the results everything come back perfect - I am now 23/24 weeks and everything seems to be going well... but it was so scary, I feel for anyone who has to go thru the same torture of waiting for the results - its the longest 2 weeks ever!

Hope everyone is well

samantha, perth, 1st time mum-2b

Sign in to follow this topic