Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Dilated Kidney Rss

Hi Guys.

After my 18 week ultrasound we were told our baby had a kidney which was 0.1mm over 'normal'.

Everything else was completely normal and fine.

The doctor said he was near 100% confident he would be perfectly healthy when born and it is was most likely the ureter hadn't formed properly yet (something that is reasonably common in boys apparently). He said by the time the baby is born it is normally completely formed and the kidney is no longer dilated.

Has anyone else had this come up in their ultrasound or heard of this?

Ryan (2) & Jayden (18mths)

Hi jo79,

I had the same thing at my 19 week ultrasound. Meghan's left kidney was dilated. It was still dilated when I had my 34 weeks ultrasound. My doctor told me the possibilties were a duplex kidney system, reflux, blockage or it would clear up. When Meghan was 4 days old she had an ultrasound and it was still dilated, so she was booked in to have an mcu (test for reflux) when she was six weeks old and was put on antibiotics. Thankfully it wasn't that, but she has had to have ultrasounds at 3 months, 6 months and will be having one at 9 months. The kidney is growing well, but is still dilated (though not increasing). If you want, you can email me at byensch@aol.com and I will try and answer any questions you might have.

Mum to DD 08.08.03 and DS 12.05.05

Hi Phantom,

Thanks for the reply!

The Dr mentioned if the kidney was still dilated after birth they would continue to monitor bub until he is 12 months old. Do you know what happens if the kidney is still dilated at 12 months? Has it affected Meghan at all?

I have been trying to convince myself it will be normal by the 32 week ultrasound, or after birth, to not worry about the 'what ifs'. My Dr just seems so blase about the whole thing as though it is nothing to worry about but don't know if he is just taking that attitude so I don't worry.

Jo

Hi Jo,

I'm not sure what happens after 12 months. I think they may continue to monitor them, but not as frequently. I asked my paediatrician what it meant for her having a dilated kidney and he was telling me that there are quite a few around. Previously they weren't picked up on ultrasound and weren't discovered until teens went out on the town, got drunk, sobered up on coffee and then had kidney pain. Basically he said to me if she was subject to a lot of diuretics (eg alcohol and coffee) she may have some left kidney pain.

As for affecting her, it hasn't currently. The only real thing that my paed said was that if she had an unexplained fever (ie not ear infection, cold etc) then I had to do a msu to check that she didn't have a UTI.

I'm sure your bub will be fine and don't worry about your doc being blase as my GP was the same. I said what does it mean for her and he said probably nothing. My paed isn't that concerned either. Just gives me a form for the ultrasound, I don't even need to visit him. He just get the results and I phone him.

If I find out any new info I will be sure to let you know. Let me know how you get on as I will be thinking of you and most importantly DON"T WORRY - all will be fine.

Cheers, Bron

I just found the pecentages that my paed gave me when I first saw him when Meghan was born:

Reflux 15%

Partial Obstruction 5%

Duplex System - rare

Fizzled out - 80%

So great odds for your bub to be fine smile

Hi Bron,

Just thought I'd let you know I had my Dr checkup last night and asked him more about it.

He pretty much backed up those stats you gave me. In fact he said of all the babies he had seen diagnosed with a dilated kidney while in the womb, he hadn't seen one where surgery or anything major was required later on.

I have another ultrasound at 30 weeks so I will let you know how I go.

Thanks for ALL the advice, you've really helped put my mind at rest.

All the best for you and Meghan
Jo

Hi Jo,

I'm glad that I could help put your mind at rest. I remember the worry I had when I was pregnant. I work in pathology and as soon as I heard the word kidney the first thing that jumped into my mind was "oh my god, she will end up a dialysis patient". Luckily the doctor who did my ultrasound quickly assured me that was not the case smile

That would be great if you let me know how your 30 week ultrasound goes. I'm sure everything will be fine. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you. I'll will let you know how Meghans goes at her 9 month ultrasound and then I will quiz the doctor a bit more for both of us!

Bron

We were told that our baby at the 20 week scan had a dialated kidney by the radiographer. When we went to our Ob he asked if we found out what it was and we had it was a boy (now 3mths) and he said that the dialated kidney is common in boys as the ureatha can develope solwly so the kidney accomidate for that by the dialation. When we went to see our paed for our daughter we asked him as well and he said the same thing that it was very common in boys and that about 70% of the cases are fixed by birth. I can say when Will was born he was completly normal....there is hope that everything will be fine and if he/she still has it at birth the last ladies post was very comforting with the post birth problem. I hope all is well for you and your baby to be.

Cheers

Michelle - Mum to Bridgett (4yrs) & William (7Wks)

Hi there,
We also were told at our 19 week ultrasound that our baby had an enlarged kidney. I was told at that stage that the normal size for then should be about 4mm and our babies rights kidney was 8mm.
I was quite disturbed but decided worrying wasn't goingt to get us anywhere. As hard as that was. we too have to go back at 30 weeks for monitoring.
I found a great website that I got some good info from if your interested. It just helped put my mind at ease.
We were also told bub had a 'something' on its brain, but not to worrying because 99.9% of the time it was gone by 30 weeks. Like that didn't scare the hell out of me!
I too am due on 7/7/04. So I can't wait to see how things pan out for you.
If you would like the website details, you can email me at
shereemas@dodo.com.au
All the best,

Sheree, mum to 2 plus 1 on the way (dd 31-5-06)

Hi Sheree.

Wow what a coincidence ... due on the exact same day and we both had the same diagnosis from the ultrasound. Do you know if you are having a boy or girl?? By the way, my friend also has a little girl called Tanisha (not a common name but I love it!).

It is hard not to worry a little but you are right, worrying about it is only going to stress the baby. I am half excited/half scared about my 30 week ultrasound. I am really hoping everything is 'normal' so my mind can be put at ease once and for all. I also can't wait to see him on the monitor again (I love ultrasounds for that reason smile

I would love to check out that website so it would be appreciated if you could let me know of the site.

All the best with your bub too and your 30wk ultrasound. I look forward to hearing how yours goes too (only 4 weeks to go !!!)

Jo

Hi Jo,
I'm like you... can't wait for the 30wk ultrasound just to see our bub again. But at the same time I'm a bit scared things won't be normal and the future then will be uncertain.
The website is
www.pedsurologic.com/Parker/Pamphlets/Obstructedkidney

A long one I know but it will take you striahgt to the info I was saying about. This 'illness' is called Hydronephrosis. Though my doctor says it isn't necessarily hydronephrosis causing the dilated kidney - it could be a range of things.
The info is interesting though - apparently 1 in 600-800 fetus are affected by this...
All the very best to you and your bub (and hubby). I look forward to hearing how things are going for you.

Sheree, mum to 2 plus 1 on the way (dd 31-5-06)

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I'd let you know I had my 30wk follow-up ultrasound and the baby's kidneys are now within the 'normal' range for the baby's age.

It was a huge relief and a weight now off the back of my mind.

Please make sure you let me know how all your follow-up scans/dr appts go ... wishing you all the best of luck!

Take Care
Jo smile

Sign in to follow this topic