Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Big age gap Rss

Just wandering if theres anyone out there who have kids with a big age gap, either because of choice or getting into a new relationship or anything else. Just interested to hear from people about what its like and how the older one/s were with the new arrival. My son's nine and he's been asking me when I was going to have a little brother or sister for him since he was three. My husband, who I have been with for five years now, and I are due to have his first baby in April, only 4 1/2 weeks from now. I'm so nervous, not that I should tell myself that. I've some pretty good stories so far so I'm just interested in some more.

Kim, son 9yrs, next due April 03

I am expecting my 5th child in late may, this will be my partners first though. MY oldest is 18, then 16, 13 and 7. I am so amazed at how my kids are enjoying this whole pregnancy, thay are estatic!. we got a large week to week chart with a silohuette of a pregnant women that is posted on the fridge, and each week is crossed off by one of the kids. and it tells a little of what is happening too. They have all come to the ultrasounds, and have helped decide the name. each night there are so many hands on my belly to see who gets "kicked" first. I was really worried at first, as this was quite an unexpected event, such a huge age gap!!. but dont worry as I did needlessly at first, get your son to participate, like buying things, names etc and of course, the hands on the belly. enjoy!!
Dom, my son, and Greg, my hubby, are both getting more into the whole thing now that I've got a big belly and they can see more. They both like to poke it or pat it on they're way past. Dom sometimes gives it a pat before he goes to school or to bed. Greg's getting pretty nervous though,cause we only have about 4 weeks to go, so it's pretty much any day now. And Dom moves between nervous and excited. He's been an only child for 9 years now, bugging us and his dad who lives in Sydney for one of us to have a baby, now we're both due to have babies at the same time. Our due dates are about 2 days apart. Bit weird, I told Dom he was dreaming too big, he said the other day that he was just asking for 1 not 2. O'well, so now he's trying to get used to the idea of being a big brother to 2.

Kim, son 9yrs, next due April 03

I have an 11 year old and a 9 year old, and the most recent has just turned 1 and I am due in three weeks with our fourth. The 9 year old just loves the 1 year old, he cant keep his hands off him, and liam loves him too, you can tell by the way he practically jumps at him when Michael puts out his arms to him. The 11 year old is ok with Liam but not really interested, gets very bored with him quickly, but then he gets bored quickly with most things, I am hoping that this next one will be a bit different. I think he would like to have stayed an only child. I was an only child for 12 years and hated it and my husband is one of 5, I think a medium to large family is great, it gets noisy sometimes but we always have fun. I am sure your nine year old will have fun with his new little brother or sister, we tell ours its good to be the oldest and number one because he gets all the new stuff and gets to do things the little ones dont, like go to bed later etc. Hope everythings works out for your family.

Karen, Brisbane mum of 3 1/2

Hi Kim
My son is 17 in may and my daughter is 5 months today.
In the begining he wasn't impressed that I was pregnant with my partner of 3 yrs.
It took my son a few months to get used to the idea and baby. He was totally ignorant so I gave him time and space for him to approach his sister when he was ready.
Now kim he adores her,picks her up when shes crying etc.

mary.NSW 11 month baby

Hi there
How did everything go with your new arrival? My son is 9 too. I split up with his father when I was 4 months pregnant. I have been with my new partner, whom my son adores, for 4 years and we are now 3 weeks away from welcoming my son's long awaited little brother or sister into the world. It is so wonderful to see how excited he is about the whole pregnancy and becoming a big brother, he has come to doctors appointments with me to hear the baby's heartbeat and to the ultrasound - which completely blew him away. The doctors have been great too, explaining to him what's going on and printing out an ultrasound photo for him to keep. I have felt bad many times over the years that he didn't have a sibling to grow up with, but now to see him at this age to be able to take such an interest and feel such excitement is just amazing. It has been such a special time for all of us. We shall have to wait and see what happens when those little silent kicks and hiccups become the crying occupant of the neighbouring bedroom!!

Michelle, NSW - 9 yr old boy and newborn baby girl

Congratulations are most likely in order!

I haven't been in here for a while, so I am catching up on everything, thought I would let you know about our situaion even though your bub is already here. And you could let me know how it is all going with your age gap.

I am due 7th August to my partner of 2 and a half years, but I have a daughter from a previous relationship who is 7 (8th Jan).
She is extremely excited about having a sibling.

She too used to always ask me when I was going to have another baby. I always actually thought I wouldn't because I didn't think I would ever meet the right guy.

But of course I have and he loves my daughter so much and wishes she was actually his.

Also he is so excited about this baby too. I have been doing the reading up and informing him of teh things I think he might need to know, and he is happy to listen or ead stuff too.

We have just remembered to kepp my daughter in the loop of everything that goes on and explain everything that is going to happen. We also have planned and acknowledged that she will not only need bonding time with all of us, but that she will still need her one on one time with each of us.

Well I hope all is going well for you, bub, and rest of your family.

SA, Girl 08/01/97, DD 10/08/04

my 3 boys are very close in age but my sisters & are not at all. my next sister is 7 yrears younger & the youngest one is 12 yrs younger. it hard growing up we were not close my 2 sisters were closer than i & either of them but now as adults its not too bad. i used to get embarresed as a teenager having to do "baby" things like seame st concerts with my sisters.

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Sign in to follow this topic