Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Feeling Fat! Rss

I am 4 months pregant and I already feel FAT. What can i do to control my nasty cravings and make sure i dont look like a balloon even after the baby is born?
Make the most of it! I loved being pregnant & showing off the belly! Just remember that you are eating for 2 but one of you is the size of a golf ball smile !!
I put on a fair bit of weight especially with the first one but it soon comes off if you want it to! Breast feeding is good, although I actually bottle fed & could also diet so either way you get your body back !

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Grace, here is a web link that might make you feel a bit better about nasty cravings, I myself find it hard to eat right alot of the time.

http://www.unassistedchildbirth.com/eating.htm

Kelly, VIC, 5yr Girl, Due July 2003

There are alot of myths out there about, if you breast feed you'll lose alot!
I'm in a parent group that have nearly all women on Jenny Craig, Sure-Slim, etc and I find going for a walk around the Lake here in Canberra once a week makes me feel better!
But if you need more motivation like me, I took up pamphlet delivering once a week to keep the weight down during pregnancy and had a break so you can walk again (Heh heh, not) then started again, so food was still being eaten in disgusting amounts but Body did not gain!
And your stamina excels, and now I'm pregnant again and have only 3 to 4 weeks to go and only gained 5 to 10 kilos this time around again!
Just eat littler meals every 2 to 3 hours of carbohydrates and fruit and sweet tooth cannot, absolutely not be forgotten! And walk ayou'll maintain at least a reasonable size from start to finish. Oh yeah with 1st baby, I was lucky enough to still go out at the age of 29 and dance at clubs, so don't get anti social, keep up with fun while you can as no sleep later!! smile
Grace,

Swimming is really good. I was swimming 3 times a week, taking it slowing. I know swim and then take my baby swimming also, she loves it big smiles and has also started to laugh while in the water.

Show that belly off and enjoy being pregant.

Good Look

Lee,QLD,18/12/02 baby girl 26/09/05 baby boy

This is my second pregnancy. First time I put on 20kg. Not good. I have lost all but 6kg, and this time I am determined not to do the same. Don't believe the myths about losing weight whilst breastfeeding. Weightwatchers was a great motivator for me.

mum of 4

Hi Grace,

Please don't believe the story you can eat for 2. That may work for some, but for others loosing the weight is extremely difficult afterwards.

I gained 23 kg with my 1st (88kgs at birth), prior to him i was 65kg and never gained weight no matter what i ate. I spent my pregnancy sitting around eating everything thinking - i'm eating for 2, i have never had a weight problem, it'll come off after i have the baby.
WRONG!!!
When my son was 12 months old, i had managed to get down to 80kgs with the assistance of medication from my Dr (loosing nothing prior to that - and to tired to excercise because i was so overweight - vicious circle).

I was still 80 kgs when i fell pregnant with my 2nd, gained another 20 kgs (100kgs just before birth). I lost all of about 4 kgs after the birth, and after another year in life of depression, dieting and some excercise i managed to get back to 90kgs.
When she was 4 i started playing netball 3 times a week, and was following a weight watchers diet, i managed to loose 10 kgs in 10 weeks. I was back to 80kgs. I felt great, but still had a bit to go.

I fell pregnant again last year, i had just gotton down to 76kgs. I only gained 15 kgs this time (thanks to a VERY sensible diet - sensible not starvation that is, plenty of fresh fruit and veg, limit junk food) 91kgs just before birth.
My baby is now 5 months old, i am playing netball twice a week, and going to the gym about 2-3 times a week with my cousin - desperately trying to get rid of this weight.
I am down to 89kgs. My goal is 70-75kgs.

Here are some of the things i've discovered over the years.

Weight watchers have a program for pregnant and breastfeeding mums. I think Weight watchers have the best program because they teach you to eat properly, not give you their food so you have to wean off it later and go back to cooking for yourself.

Try aqua aerobics - some places have special classes for pregnant ladies. Check with your hospital if they have ante natal fitness classes. Take up yoga or see a pilates instructor (both of these are great for D-Day). And of course walking is great (as long as you don't have aching legs).

Depending on what your craving, try to find a low fat substitute, e.g if you crave chocolate milk like i did, use skim milk, if its ice cream, use low fat ice cream with a fresh fruit puree topping (fresh strawberries are yummy) or try sorbet, find low fat biscuits instead of the usual types, etc. There are a lot of low fat options available for most foods now - even Mars Bars. It takes a bit of getting used to the low fat taste, but after a while, you won't notice it.

Keep busy, i find when i'm busy i don't think about food unless my belly starts to rumble.

Most important, drink lots of water, sometimes you might think your craving something, but its actually your bodies way of telling you it needs a drink.

Good luck

Mel, mum of Joshua 8, Maddison 5, Hailey 5 mths

go for a walk don;t try not to eat fatly thing

Johanne_Chambers@yahoo.com.au plainland qld

grace you will lose it .

Johanne_Chambers@yahoo.com.au plainland qld

Hi,

Just wondering if baby does not take to breast for some unfortunate reason can you use a breast pump and stimulate weight loss or is the body not going to be fooled??

Ana, NSW expecting..alot

hello girls
with my 1st pregnancy i put on 20 kgs and it took around 4 months to lose it all.
with my second tho i put on around 12 kgs
and i breastfed and still am and its is no myth that if you breastfeed you do lose weight.
unfortunately i have lost too much no matter what i eat or how much i can't put on weight.
I've read that your body needs a whole yr to recover and get back to normal.
either way walking,swimming are very good but don't diet if you're going to breastfeed.
take care
mary

mary.NSW 11 month baby

Hello : )

I see this is a really old post, but I figure other people will read it anyway for tips...I am pregnant or the first time and thought I could eat for two, so I asked my doctor about it. He laughed and told me I only need an extra 200 calories a day (and that's from the healthly intake guidelines, NOT what I was already intaking) to keep the baby happy.

I found the best way to stop eating all the time was to download the healthy food pyramid (you can get it specifically for pregnant/ breastfeeding mums) and eat from that. By the time you have eaten all the foods you 'need', such as the fruit, veg, carbs and meat requirements, you don't have much room left for junk. Plus you feel great for eating so well, your baby gets what it needs and it helps with constipation. And if you are drinking 2 litres of water a day, that fills up a lot of room also. And I eat choccie nearly everyday - but only once, and only a little bit : )

Hope that helps,

Mel
Sign in to follow this topic