Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Air travel Rss

My husband and I are booked on an overseas holiday to the US in late April and I have just found out I am pregnant. Am looking for some advice from people who have travelled whilst pregnant on how to make the trip more comfortable, proper precautions to take etc. The pregnancy is by no means going to stop us going - just want to make sure we do it right!

Lou, NSW

Hi Lou

I have heard/read that it is not safe to travel during the first 12 weeks due to the air pressure and not reccommended in the last 12 due to being far from home and you might need your dr.

I suggest talking to your dr/ob just to make sure but i think the second trimester is the safest bet.

But thats what I've heard I hate flying anyway smile

love steph

Steph VIC Mummy to one gorgeous boy

Hello lou29,

Not wanting to freak you out or anything but I travelled overseas whilst pregnant and two weeks later I miscarried at around eight weeks.

People warned me not to travel but I felt they were being over the top and ignored the advice. It's pretty bad miscarrying in a foreign country.

Was it the plane trip or something that was going to happen regardless? Nobody knows. I read up about it but there doesn't seem to be any concrete information to suggest whether flying is bad or not.

Regardless of what decision you make, good luck.

Super.

bubsy32

Hi lou29.

How are you?? I travelled by air when I was about 3-4 weeks pregnant, and I now have a happy healthy 17 month old boy. I have heard it isn't safe tavelling by air in the last trimester though. I guess the best thing is to go and see your doctor and see what he/she says, they know better than us.

Anyway, good luck and if you do go away enjoy your trip smile

Karen, Vic, Nicholas 26/10/02

Hi Lou29

Wondering if you took the trip - how was it and how is the pregnancy going?

Steph

Steph VIC Mummy to one gorgeous boy

Just to add to anyone wanting to travel. I flew from japan to sydney, then sydney to NZ at 34 weeks. I had no problems whatsoever. But I must admit, the flight attendants on Japan Airlines were fantastic and helped me a lot. they even managed to get me a row of seats to myself. I also went to the doctor beforehand and got a medical certificate. I went to the dcoctor while in Sydney before I continued on and he said both Baby and I were fine. So hwile I wouldn't recommmend the travel, if you have to, not so bad.
Hi Melly,

Just to let you know I recently went from Sydney to Hamilton Island and back again at about 25 weeks pregnant (4th & 9th Nov), as things worked my appointment with my OB was the day after we got back. She checked me out and everything was ok. I spoke to her before we went and as I have had no problems so far she thought I would be fine.
I can now say both bubs & I are fine, if anything for a few days after bubs seemed even more active than normal, which I have been told is a good sign.

Good Luck, I hope your flight goes well smile

Sydney, BJ born 28.01.05 CJ born 17.08.06

you may find too some airlines dont accept you if you are too pregnant - not sure how many weeks is considered unsafe by the airlines tho...prob best if you could go in second trimester anyway cause that is when symptoms are less, some say is when you feel the best...
again have just now seen how old original post is - suppose you have already been and gone and come back...
I have done a lot of flying and have had no problems. I first flew at about 6wks and the last time was at 27wks, which was overseas. I spoke to my doctor and midwife about it and they saw no problem with flying. Some airlines may not take you and most have a policy that once your 28wks you won't get insurance.

I think it's a choice thing, based on how your feeling.

Hope that helps.
Sign in to follow this topic