Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Planning for Pregnancy
  5. When to expect a period after a d&c?

When to expect a period after a d&c? Rss

Hi i just have a few questions.

I had a D&C 3 weeks ago for a blighted Ovum. After that i bled for about 2 weeks, and in the beginning actually passed something too. I was in a lot of pain and the dr said it was due to my abdomen being inflammed.

Anyway all is well now, and last week i think i may have even had ovulation pain (but im not 100% certain)

My question is when should i expect my period, and if i fall preggers again (we are trying) how will i know.
I heard that hcg levels dont necessarily go down straight away and my dr hasnt checked them via bloods. My main concern is getting a false positive due to having HCG levels still in my system.

Any advice from anyone who has been in this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Girls smile

Bec

Hi Bec-

so sorry to hear about your mc. I know this is an extremly hard time, especially when all you can think about is getting pregnant again.

This is a very common question on this site, and there are plenty of us who've been through it.

My period came back 9 weeks after my d&c. You're right about the dangers of false positives- I got several, although I can't remember for how long. It was several weeks. There are women, (including some on this forum), who've fallen pregnant immeadiatly, without having a period in between. There are also many who fall after one period, and there are many of us who are still not pregnant 6 months or more later.

My period is still not back to normal- it always used to be very regular, but 6 months on it's still unpredictable and much longer cycles than usual. Last month I started using ovulation tests. I wish I had started using them earlier, (although it gets expensive, especially when you have no idea when you're going to ovulate). If you want to, maybe you should start using them in your next cycle- after your period returns.

I hope you are feeling ok, and staying positive, although be careful not to place high expectations on yourself. Many women fall pregnant straight away after a m/c, but if you set your heart on this happening, you may be in for dissapointment.

I hope I'm not putting you off- and I really ope things work out well for you and your family. Keep up your folic acid- you may be pregnant again in no time!

Ellie, NSW, DD 3 yrs & TTC # 2

Sign in to follow this topic