Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Planning for Pregnancy
  5. When is the best time to have a second baby?

When is the best time to have a second baby? Rss

When is the best time to have a second baby? My daughter is now 14 months old. Should I wait longer?
I don't see that anyone can tell you when the best time is to have a second baby.

To me it would be personal preference, I have waited 7 years and am now due to have my second, other people have two close together.

I think whatever you are comfortable with.

S Brooks, Hobart

as soon as you feel ready my 1st and 2nd are 16 months apart and no 2 and 3 are 14 months apart

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Just depends on wether you think you can handle another. And also wether you would like them to be close together in age & grow up closer together as playmates. We also considered what age we wanted to be when the kids move out of home! We are only having the two & they will be 21 months apart.

Also consider the time that it may take you to fall pregnant again, it took me 6 months after I stopped breast feeding. Depends on the individual.

Kristina, Mum of James 3yrs & Matilda 14 months

hello my daughter is 15 months old, my parnter and are just starting again, hopefully this month is the green light!! i looked at with the cons and pros of hopfully conceiving now to later, and i hope now and i cant wait to find out. good luck in what you decide, look forward to hearing what you choose!!

catherine mum to tasmin and Liam

It is a personal choice. I have a 15 month old daughter and am 18 weeks pregnant with my 2nd bub. I don't expect it to be easy with 2 little ones 19 months apart, but my husband and I always wanted our children close together.

Go for it if you are ready... and goodluck! smile

Michelle

P.S. Being pregnant with a toddler can be very tiring, trust me I know, but you get by.
thanks ladies for all your replies. much appreciated.
I guess I'm just a bit concerned because I was so so sick when I fell pregnant the first time round. I'm just a little concerned cause I had morning sickness for 7-8 months of the duration and I'd lost 10kgs and I couldn't work any longer and I needed to sleep up to 3-4 hrs each afternoon without fail. I guess Im scared of being so sick again and then I ask the question of - who'll look after my daughter? I guess its not so easy hey? Is it easier the second time around? Or will it differ? Please if anyone has any info or advice, let me know. Thank you, Saf.
Hi Saf,

I'm finding my second preganancy much more difficult mainly due to the fact that I was sick this time around and also the exhaustion is a killer! I'm finding being pregnant and running around after my son very very tiring. Plus I work full time so it is a real struggle sometimes. However, all pregnancies are different so it may be a completely different story for you. I think you decide to have another baby when you feel that need inside of you. Then even though it might be difficult, at the end of the day, you survive, and love every minute of it.

Yvette
Well it is up to you.

I have two girls who are 18 months apart. It was not easy but I would not change it for the world. They are 8 and 5 1/2 now and I am expecting my third and I am so tired this time around.

One thing, I think you should think about is "If you want two children in nappies?"

Good luck.
Hi there Saf,

I am 20 weeks into my second pregnancy and I have a very energetic 15 month old daughter. I am finding my second pregnancy a lot easier in some ways, not so stressful and knowing that every little ache is nothing to worry about...

But on the tired side of things, well yes I have been more tired with a toddler to chase after. But while I have been so busy, the pregnancy feels like it is going very fast.

I have a wonderful husband who helps me a lot and takes our daughter out when I need a rest, without him I think I would struggle some days.

You find ways to rest even with an active toddler so don't be too concerned...

Take care,

Michelle smile
Hi I am not sure as I did not just have one baby. For my first child I had twins. So in that sense I had 2 at once. I have no idea of what it is like to just have one child. I have always had 2 bums to change, giving cuddles to 2 babies at the same time. Feeding them together and doing everything at the same time. It was very hard but I got used to it as I have no idea what it is like to do one.

We are thinking of maybe having a 3rd baby, my second pregnancy next year. I have no idea how the twins will cope with a new baby and not sure how we will but we would like to do it and I am sure we will be fine. It is just how do you explain to the kid or kids in my situation that you are having another baby and they are still so important.

Currently one of my twins gets really angry and bites herself and things when she is not getting her way or gets frustrated or angry. I would desperatley like to add to our family but worried it is going to hurt them in some way.

I know they will get used to it and we will give them the same love and attention as per ususal. As it is not happening yet I have not put it on high prority. But as it is currently May and we wanted to do this next year, it might not be that long to wait.

Any advice on new baby with existing twins in the family? Does this pose an extra issue as they might be more demanding? I have no idea and have just started thinking about this all now. Not pregnant yet and if we do decide on a third child it will be next year some time.

Thanks all,
S.
Sign in to follow this topic