Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Caesarean Births
  5. Anyone had their tubes tied while having c-section

Anyone had their tubes tied while having c-section Rss

Hello. I'm pregnant with my second child and are thinking of having my tubes tied when I deliver via c-section next year. Has anyone had this done and what are your thoughts?
Shell

mich

Howdy,

Havent had this done, but I am about to in 6wks when I have bub#4. When I spoke to dr about it, he put the fear of god into me, questioning if that's what i really want & giving some horrible scenarios(apparently they do the same for men having vasectomies). He also said there is a 1 in 200 chance of it not working properly, eg: ectopic preg.

A friend of mine told me it was best to wait 6 wks after c-sec to ensure all swelling has gone as clips may come off after. Going back to dr in 3 wks so will ask about it again, as that bit of advice scared me a bit, but I will still be getting it done.

C-10, T-3, D-22mths & #4 will be here on the 11/11

hi, i would definately wait for a couple of months ofter the birth and not have it done whilst having the c-sec as everything inside you is very swollen and the effectiveness of the contraception side of things is about 70%. i would wait until everything has had a chance to go down and then do it.

Hi,
I was wondering the same thing!. I'm due to have my 4th in 8 weeks and am having a CS. I have asked my ob for a tubiligation at the same time he said he'd do it and has requested it on my surgical booking form but he also went through the diff scenarios with me (counselling) and said that the effectiveness decreases at the time. He actually suggested the Mirena IUD to be put in at my 6 week postnatal checkup. But since I'm now in 2 frames of mind he simply said to make my mind up and tell him on the day. I really don't know what to do??.I hope someone out there has been through this and can give us some answers!!!
MMMM yes too much to think about, gotta get these blokes to go get the chop, lol, havent we been through enough!!!!!

With the IUD,i would do alot of research on that, as only yesterday I heard the scariest story from a friend of a friend who went in to have her IUD changed and she apparently "died" and they brought her back with adrenalin, they were about to use the paddles, but she "came back". Apparently some women have very sensitive cervix's and a wrong slip can do this. Not only that, even though IUD's are common, think about bacteria "hanging" around in there too?? Sorry if this is a bit much.

Really leaning towards DH to get it done now.

Definately more info from anyone who has been through this would be very helpful.

C-10, T-3, D-22mths & #4 will be here on the 11/11

yes i did and i wish i didnt now as i want one more baby i have 3 already i had my TL when i was 21 and with my ex now im remarried we want to have more

think about it very carfully

sarah
Hi there

They've offered to do mine when I have my 3rd child. They said it's not 100% failsafe and there is a risk of ectopic pregnancy.

I've been researching and heard lots of stories about ladies that have had no problems at all and quick healing and others that have had longer/heavier periods although I wonder if this is just because they have forgotten what it is like to not be on the pill anymore.

For myself, even though our family will be 'complete', I still don't want to cut off my fertility - it's a LOT harder to reverse than a vasectomy so my partner and I are thinking perhaps he gets the snip - that way, if we ever change our minds, the reversal success rate is much, much higher.

Your midwife/OB should be able to give you some information on the risks etc - I got pamphlets from my hospital outlining the whole process. smile

Tarns

Hi

My sister had 6 kids, the first 5 were VB and the last was c-section because he was breech and wouldn't stay turned. Anyway, she asked about tubal ligation and the doc agreed straight away and got her to fill in forms (I think this was a day or 2 before the c-sect). She didn't ask anything more of it and said that whole op was very quick and she didn't even ask if they tied her tubes at the time, because she was obviously too excited about meeting bub.

She asked her doctor at her 6 week checkup (I guess she didn't want to know before hand), and he couldn't find any paperwork to say it had been done, but was pretty sure that if she signed papers that it would have been done.

Anyway, 6 years later, she wants another baby (when the last one started grade 1) and she is devestated that they did infact tie her tubes. She read/heard that sometimes it is not 100% when done during c-sect and spoke to her doc. He organised tests and she is 'watertight'. I think they said that she can have them reversed at about $5000 per tube, and even then she would not be guaranteed of success.

I think it is something that you really need to think long and hard about and maybe wait til after pregnancy (too many hormones may influence your decision lol), and make sure it is the right decision for you, even though it can be a pain in the ar$e organising it later or relying or other methods. You really do need to be sure. Hope this helps smile
hi! i had my tubes tired after i had my little girl in 2006 by c.section and now its the worst desision i had made now im wanting a nother baby and the only way is yo go through i.v.f
hi! i had my tubes tired after i had my little girl in 2006 by c.section and now its the worst desision i had made now im wanting a nother baby and the only way is yo go through i.v.f
[Edited on 27/10/2008]
Posted by: tammy 26
Sign in to follow this topic