Huggies Forum

Unassisted homebirth Lock Rss

I have a friend who had the most horrible birth experience with her first that she was adamant that she would never go to a hospital again. As her first was 10 weeks premmie I was worried what she would do when she fell pregnant again. She stuck to her guns and had her 4 week premmie at home unassisted. She is now pregnant with her 7th baby and has had every child since at home with her hubby and children. I am guessing she will do the same again. I know that an unassisted birth would not suit my family as my hubby suffers from anxiety but it seems to suit hers just fine. Her confidence is an inspiration to me and the support she gets from her husband is just amazing.

Whataheart - Girls16/1/00, 28/4/05 & 04/09/08

Sounds very inspirational smile

I have a friend who is a little similar, she had a HB in NZ, then moved to Australia, and was really disgusted to find HB was not accepted here, so went ahead and has now had 3 unassisted births, just her kids and hubby, she is just amazing.

homebirthing mum to three boys!

Good on her for doing it her way.........after 6 births she should just pop them out.
I am guessing I know of whom you are speaking deary smile. 7th!! Where do they fit them all in that house.
I don't know how they manage 7 kids let alone bith them all at home. I commend her strength - far more than I could manage.
I have recently had a unassisted homebirth, my baby girl is now 3 weeks old, we had planned a homebirth and the midwife didnt make it on time (was 5mins late) and my hubby delivered our daughter, it was an awesome experience although I wouldnt plan an unassisted homebirth if we have another baby, here in NZ we are ment to have 2 midwives attending a homebirth, we were just lucky nothing went wrong I guess.
Congratulations tinky winky smile

You weren't lucky nothing went wrong, it is normal for nothing to go wrong! Birth is very safe smile

Don't feel you're hubby's anxiety should keep you from a home birth environment if that's what you want, he'll be anxiuos no matter where he is, so will need different support to you anyway.

Something mu hubby is dealing with now, I want homebirth, he wants hospital, I'm birthing, so will be at home, unless I change my mind at the time - of course!!

Brissie mum 5 & 2 y.o munchkins & 1 due

I just watched the unassisted HB on 60 minutes and what an amazing and beautiful birth it was....so calm and serene.

Im not planning anymore but would serioulsy consider HB as an option if it was to happen..
It was beautiful, wasn't it? smile

This bub is going to be born at home with just a doula, but I kind of don't see that as unassisted, as I will have a doula for support, but it will be awesome anyway!!

wow i just find that amazing. she must be a really strong woman i could not do it knowing if something could happen as much as i would be more comfortable at home. wow that's just amazing good for her and to have 7 kids gee.

Do you have to do anything to have a unassisted homebirth? Bceuase normal homebirth with the midwife if nearly $2000. Do you still have antenatal appointments to make sure nothings wrong etc? I'm planned my next child as a homebirth but I am curious as too how i would go about the unassisted homebirth

Posted by: The_Sage_Mother
Do you have to do anything to have a unassisted homebirth? Bceuase normal homebirth with the midwife if nearly $2000. Do you still have antenatal appointments to make sure nothings wrong etc? I'm planned my next child as a homebirth but I am curious as too how i would go about the unassisted homebirth

I'm not having a midwife this time, and I have chosen to have a 'free pregnancy' as well, ie, i simply forgo monitoring etc, but if you wanted, you could always still have care with your GP, or a midiwfe you paid on an appointment basis...it's totally up to you really...

There is a really good website you can read up on all about unassisted birth, it is http://www.purebirth-australia.com

It covers everything from herbal remedies for common pregnancy complaints to reasons to transfer, to how to go about getting birth certificates etc...

Really well worth looking at.

All the best with your plans.

My bub will be here this month, I'm SO excited!! <span class="emoticon smile">smile</span>
[Edited on 02/01/2009]

Sign in to follow this topic