Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Labour and Birth
  5. castor oil does it really bring on labour????

castor oil does it really bring on labour???? Rss

i just wanted to get some ppls opinions on this matter as there are soo many diff ones out there:)

renee edd 14.12.03

Someone asked this question at my first birthing class when I was pregnant with my son- the midwife said that in majority of cases Castor oil just gives you terrible cramps and the runs for a few days.

She said that it doesn't actually work as an aid to bring on labour.

Relaying just what I was told

Susan, QLD, mo2 = B3y4m & G18m

oh ok thanks for that there have been heaps of ppl that i have spoken to and some of them say that it works and others just say the same thing you have that it gives you the runs and a sore stomach well i spose its all about weather or not it works for that particular person

hey good luck to you

renee edd 14.12.03

hey,

i tried the castor oil (along with everything else known to man) and it didn't work for me.. in fact it did nothing at all, no cramps, no runs, nothing.. i even tried walking and mowed the lawn the day before i was to go in to be induced.. but all that gave me was a sore back.. lol

good luck..

Mel, Briz, 3 children

Hi, my midwife told me of a lady she knew (her patient) who had caster oil to bring on the delivery of her 4th child and although it did that, her labour was a lot longer and wasn't as easy... although she did get there! The midwife felt it was because she induced the baby when he wasn't ready. She did it at 40 weeks but all her other children were delivered (without induction) at 41 weeks - must be her cycle.
I hope that helps.
a firend swears by it i tried it but just gave me the runs

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

I am 10 days overdue and tried castor oil last night. My midwife swears by it and gave me her special recipie. It wasn't nearly as bad as what some people say - it was a halgf and half mixture with orange juice and over the period of 2 hours I took 100mls. about 2 hours later I spent 4 hours on the toilet with the runs - but wasn't terrible - apparently this is what can start labour due to the bowel and cervix being so close togther.
Well I was still in one pice this morning and have no contractions as yet - so no it didn't work for me!

Mum of 3 year old boy and 1 year old daughter

Hi

I was told you have to be careful doing this as it can make some people violently ill and most of the time doesn't work anyway.

Kristi

4 lovely munchkins DD 10/03, DD 03/05, DS 10/06 &

I heard it can work but it can do more harm than good as it can make your baby have tummy cramps and do it's first poo inside the womb...and that's not good!! This happened to me with my mum and I almost died!

Mum(29) - DS 7yr, DD 4yr & DD 2yr

Sign in to follow this topic