Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Inductions Rss

Hey everyone,
Just been the the obsetrician and everthing is fine I'm due on the 5th of Nov but was told that if I go over He will only let me go over for 7 days cause he is concerned about the baby being to big for me. So I'm booked to go to hospital on the night of the 11th to have some kind of gel inserted in my cervix. Has anyone had it done. Does it make labour more painfull and does it really work. I hope the the baby comes on it's own I'm a bit scared by it all,will the baby get stressed cause its not ready to came.
Pina
Hi Pina

I was induced, as I was 17 days overdue.I know how scary it seems, but it really isn't that bad. I will give you a rundown of what happened - I hope all Drs operate the same!!

I arrived at the hospital, and was put on the monitors to see if the baby was still moving around, and to see if I was having any contractions. I wasn't, so they inserted the gel, this was at about 9.30am. I then went and settled into my room, had a look around, blah blah - then went back to the birthing suites at 12pm to be put on the monitor for another hour.

Then at 2.00pm - my waters broke!! Some people have to have a second dose of the gel - and then if after 7 hours, that hasn't worked, they will break your waters I guess.

During labour, I was put on the drip ( is it oxytoxin or something?) which brings your contractions on harder and faster - so that was a little scary.

Don't let peoples labour stories scare you though! I was unlucky in my labour, I wasn't progressing, and at the last moment my son turned, so after 20 hours of labour - I had an emergency caesarean. My sister in law was induced - and she had her baby within half an hour!!

I think the scariest thing about induction - is knowing when you are going to go into labour! And being ssssssssooooooooooo nervous!

You will be fine - and think of what you get at the end!

Marti, NSW, Baby Boy born on 17th July 2003

Hi there.

I wasn't induced, but my labour was augmented with oxytoxins, so i felt the brunt of my contractions.

I went into labour naturally, but my contractions weren't doing much so i went on the drip that they use to induce you with. My contractions were strong and fast and it really hurt, but i was only in labor for 3 hours and i didn't have any pain killers (they warned me i would need them on the drip 'cause it would hurt but i refused). I won't lie, it hurts..... but don't worry, i got through it with no drugs, so you can too..... and there is always drugs there if you need them! So please, don't worry about what i say, it is a pain you forget as soon as that beautiful baby is in your arms. I'd do it again.

Good luck. Hopefully you'll go into labour naturally. I only was two days overdue. Walk heaps... it helps!
Thanks for both of your inputs, My Obsertrecian is male and it just sounds more comforting from people who have had it done to themselfs. It is a bit scary being told when to go into Hospital than just waiting for your baby to came. It's just one big waiting game.
Pina
Trust me Pina - you will be fine!! You have waited 9 months for this baby - and really - I would go through 50 times worse than what I had to 4 my boy ( Don't tell him that!! ) Haha - Good Luck - let us know when your bundle of joy arrives! smile

Marti, NSW, Baby Boy born on 17th July 2003

Sign in to follow this topic