Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Labour and Birth
  5. Scared of Caesarean Section Delivery

Scared of Caesarean Section Delivery Rss

Hi Mums

I posted here a while back in relation to making a decision about whether to attempt my second birth by elective caesarean or VBAC.

I have an appointment with an OB at my hospital next Tuesday (8th Feb) to discuss mode of delivery. I am quite sure that they are going to recommend an elective caesar as the baby is in the posterior position and is on the larger side which was why I had an emergency caesar the first time around.

I have been doing lots of reading on caesars and the risks involved and I am feeling quite anxious about the whole thing. I also feel like I am a bit of a failure if I elect to have a caesar rather than a VBAC.

I was hoping to hear from any other mums out there who had an emergency caesar the first time and then the second time around what they decided to do and why. Any comments welcome.

Thanks
Kristi

4 lovely munchkins DD 10/03, DD 03/05, DS 10/06 &

I'm having my first baby so can't really help you with your decision but please don't feel like a failure if you elect to have a second caesar! Whatever you choose to do you are making that choice for a very good reason - your health and your baby's health! And you're doing the right thing to check out all the information so that your decision is an informed one but in the end, it is your decision and you will do what is right for you and your baby. Don't let anyone judge you!!

Mum to Caitlin & Owain

Hi,
I do agree with pml, but even the best planned birth dosen't work out the way you want. Although it is your decision, you still need to do whatever is best for you and the baby at that time, either way is the SAFEST way into life for your little one.
I have three kids and have had two caesers, both were absolutly fine, would go back and have another one any day if I had too.
I had them for medical reasons as it was the safest way for me and babe.
Just make sure you know why?you have to have it, and that ists the best way at the time
Good luck
Oh how far are you????

Sydney,twin boys 22/10/04+girl 26/03/02

Hi

Thanks for your replies, they were very encouraging! Twins + 1 I am nearly 35 weeks so not long to go. My appointment is next Tuesday and I am hanging out to see what the doctor says.

I spoke to someone yesterday who strongly advised me against having a repeat caesar. She had a vaginal birth with her first baby and an emergency caesar with the second and said that if she could help it she would not go through a caesar again. Her baby is 8 months old now and she is still having pain and was on pain relief for two months after the delivery. With my caesar I was off pain relief two days after getting home and had no scar pain after a few weeks and felt normal again within a month or so.

I guess I should just keep an open mind until I speak with the doctor next week.

Thanks again for your replies
Kristi

4 lovely munchkins DD 10/03, DD 03/05, DS 10/06 &

Hi again,
I suppose everyone goes through it differently. Mine were completly fine where as my sister was petrified for me to have one because she went through hell.

Anyway it sounds like you are going about it the right way, whatever happens will be the best way.
Good luck again with it all

Sydney,twin boys 22/10/04+girl 26/03/02

Hi Kristi,

I had an emergency caesar after 29 and a half hours of labour, with my son, 10 years ago.

21 months after he was born, I had an elective caesar with our daughter, after an ultrasound revealed that I had a tilted pelvis, which is apparently what caused my problems in the 1st labour.

I am now pregnant again, with our 3rd, and had been hoping to try for a VBAC, but was told yesterday that I will be having another caesar. I am also a little anxious, knowing I have the older 2 kids to care for,(however, they are fairly independent now!)

I did feel a little disappointed, but in the end, the safety of my baby and to myself is the most important thing...and I will end up with a beautiful little bundle of joy, no matter which way I go!!

All the best! Would love to hear how you go!!

Tina, mum to Jake, Tylah & Jayden smile

Hi Everyone

Thanks again for your replies.

I saw the OB at the hospital and she has told me that I have the choice of either a repeat caesar or a VBAC attempt.

The reason I could not deliver my first baby after 40 hours of labour was not only that she was posterior but her head was deflexed (face presentation) and she did not engage in my pelvis because of it.

I am in two minds about whether to go for the elective caesar as I would like to experience a vaginal birth (although I have been told it can be highly overrated!) but at the same time I don't know whether I am willing to accept the consequences that can result from attempting a VBAC no matter how small the risk is. The idea of a hysterectomy or still birth, although a tiny possibility is something I don't think I am willing to accept.

I have been looking on the net at birth stories of VBACs and there have been a few that resulted in uterine rupture, however I can't seem to find any stories of women who had repeat caesars and why they chose to have them.

Well thanks again and if anyone has elected to have a repeat caesar even though they had the option to have a VBAC I would love to hear your story! I have to let the OB know what my decision is on the 22nd Feb.

Kristi

4 lovely munchkins DD 10/03, DD 03/05, DS 10/06 &

Hi. I was in the same boat as you. For my son was in labour for 24 hours then they decide it was time for an emergency caesar as my son was lying in a brow position. Then last year for my daughter i was all for a VBAC for the same reason as you to experiance a natural birth. I recieved brochures all about it which absolutly scared the pants off me about uterine rupture but they also told me how rare it was so I still decided to go with the VBAC. When the time come for my little girl to be born I was in labour for 8 hours and the whole time a midwife was by my side and contantly monitering my babys heart rate as the first sign that uterine rupture could occur is a drop in the babys heart rate. Sometimes it was annoying though as I am having these huge contractions every couple of minutes, trying to push and she is there finding the babys heart beat, my partner said while I was under the influence of gas (haha) I pushed her away. Anyway by the end I was screaming for another caeser and they must have asked me 10 times if I was sure (my baby was in the wrong position again) and I signed the form got wheeled to the anaethesic room, screaming and pushing all the way (i can laugh about it now) in the Anaethesic room all the doctors and about 8 midwives were all getting ready to drug me up and give me a epidural when all of a sudden the midwife said keep pushing we are going to have this baby and sure enough in about 5 minutes my princess was laying on my belly. I did have to have an episomy (gross) and I suffered a lot of blood loss but it was great I could get up and walk around as with a caser I was in bed for more than 24 hours after and didnt get to see or hold my son until 2 hours after he was born. Anyway my point is that you will be monitered throughout your labour very closely and if there is a slighest change in bubs heart rate action would be taken asap. i hop I have helped! kelly

Kelly, NSW, Caleb born 3/10/00, Hannah born 21/8/0

hi me again!! i just read how you wrote that vaginal births can be over rated well yes. once i was given the anaethesic to numb down there for the episomy I didnt even feel my bub come out so I was disappointed by as I did say it was much better as a caeser. Let me know what you decide! My email is davekel@ozemail.com.au if you want to talk more about it??

Kelly, NSW, Caleb born 3/10/00, Hannah born 21/8/0

Hi Everyone

Thanks for your feedback.

Just updating you on some things. Hubby and I have made some decisions about whether to have a caesar or a attempt a VBAC.

After ALOT of research we talked about what I had read, made a list of pros and cons of each option (the ones that mattered to us anyway) and decided that we are going to book in for a caesar just before my due date of 11th March. We have decided that if baby decides to come early we will let nature take its course and I will attempt a VBAC and will be writing a very strict birth plan of exactly what I want to happen - this will include continuous monitoring and a c section at the first sign of anything going wrong. If the hospital does not agree then I will be definantly having a caesar.

After my research I discovered that I have a 2 to 3 times greater chance of uterine rupture with a VBAC because it has been less than 18 months to 2 years since my last caesar. If I go over my due date there is a much higher chance that a VBAC would be unsuccessful. There is also a higher chance of infection if I labour and then have a c section. If I were to experience a uterine rupture, the consequences can sometimes include a hysterectomy, death of the baby or brain damage to the baby. All these risks I am too scared to accept when I think about the health of my baby and the chance to have another child.

My husband is absolutely petrified of anything happening to myself or the baby during delivery and he has also played a big part in deciding to book in for a caesar near my due date.

I am still worried a little about being judged for this decision for opting to take the 'easier' way out, however I don't see it that way as while a caesar is not a natural birth and carries its own risks, it is the safest option for myself and my baby at this point.

I have an appointment at the hospital tomorrow morning (22nd) to discuss this and to check the baby's position and I hope that I am strong enough to stand up for what we have decided! The OB would have to have some pretty strong arguments for an attempt at VBAC for me to change my mind.

Thanks again for your replies

Kristi

4 lovely munchkins DD 10/03, DD 03/05, DS 10/06 &

Hi Kristi

It sounds like a very smart decision. I applaud you for really thinking it through.

TD, WA

hi kristi

i think you have made the right decision in being that youre last c section was only 18 months ago. i had my son by c section in 2000 so it had been nearly 4 years between my kids. during my ante natal visits last year the doctor told me that he delivered a baby and it was the womans 5th caesarian! you shouldnt worry about being judged becasue its mainly people who havent had a caesar before so they dont know what its like and i dont think its the easier way out at all and i think that you are great in putting yourself and your bub first. good luck with your app tomorrow and i hope everything goes well for you and your family!

Kelly, NSW, Caleb born 3/10/00, Hannah born 21/8/0

Sign in to follow this topic