Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Labour and Birth
  5. Vaginal Birth After Caesarean (VBAC)

Vaginal Birth After Caesarean (VBAC) Rss

Hi, im pregnant with me 2nd baby, a girl! yay! and im going to be trying for a vbac. im so positive and determined to have a vbac after my horrible first birth.

i went into labour with zane but after many hours of labour, syntocin drip, pethidine, gas, epidural i was whisked away to have a em c-section. and to add to that the epidural wasnt working at all and i could feel the ice on my belly so i was put under general anth.

i really felt like i missed out on my beautiful baby boys birth and im so determined to have a vbac. if i achieve it, i think it'll be a really empowering and healing time for me.

Reading this and i thought someone had written it about me!!! I also had an emergency c-section and was fully out to it because the spianl didnt work! Its so nice to hear other people have been through to same thing! I am determined to have a successful VBAC this time round smile

Hi all! This is my first post in here, I've just rejoined after not being on huggies since before I found out I was pregnant, I'm 21 weeks now. I had an emergency c-section with my 2nd DD after having a placental abruption at 37 weeks and 3 days. I found out after that I have a blood disorder so I don't stop clotting when I should (had a blood clot a month after DD2 was born) so this time I'm classed as high risk cause I'm on daily blood thinners. I want a VBAC so bloody much lol and my doctors are fine with that as long as I go on my own. I'm just scared out of my mind!! Would be nice to chat or hear from people who are going through the same thing or have already been through it. I had a vaginal birth for my DD1.
Hey there!

I had a c section with dd1 in 2008 as I just wasn't dilating because she wouldn't engage. She was 9lb13oz and she just wouldn't fit!

Our dd2 was born 3 weeks ago by VBAC. After quite a trying pregnancy (we were being monitored closely for the last 10 weeks as baby was on the small side and then to top it off i presented with cholestasis) it was decided that I would be induced at 38 1/2 weeks. Because I'd had a c section they were unable to induce me using hormonal methods so I was induced using floreys (not sure how to spell it sorry!) It was successful and they were able to break my waters the next morning. Our dd2 was delivered using forceps at 555pm that night.

The labour itself is not a pleasant experience but I didn't expect it would be - the epidural was a blessing!! smile However, the recovery was what made the whole experience well and truly worth it. I felt that I'd recovered well from the c section with minimal pain but the recovery from the VBAC was great. We were home with my nearly 3 year old 48 hours after dd2 was born.

I was always open to the possibility that I may have needed another c section but I wanted it to be out of necessity rather than choice. And with many friends who have had second and subsequent c sections and feel that they've "missed out" on something by not having a VB, I can only reassure them that the only thing they've "missed out" on is the recovery!
Hi everyone,
I am just wondering about trying for a VBA2C. I had a c-section with my son in Nov 07..it was all a bit confusing at the time and now looking back i don't see there was actually a need for it except for the chance he may have been too big (and he was 2 weeks over and wasn't coming). In 2010 i was allowed to attempt a VBAC with my daughter but that was an epic fail. The let me go over by 2 weeks and because they wouldn't even discuss any form of induction (i was trying to ask about balloon catheter etc...) that resulted in another c-section. I am desperate to have a VBA2C but have a few issues. I am not sure if it is even possible if i was allowed to try....my daughter was so stuck they needed to use forceps to get her out. Does this mean the chances of birthing another large baby naturally are slim taking into account my son was big too? I had a PPH after my daughter...is this likely to happen again if i was to deliver naturally? The biggest issue however is that i need to find a hospital willing to allow it. Is there anyone in the Brisbane area (i live in Ipswich) that know of a hospital or have successfully had one? I have applied to the Mater but don't have much chance being out of the catchment area apparently....Ipswich have already told me they will not touch me. I would love to chat to someone going through this or who has had one already. Would really love to find out about what kind of resistance i will be up against and if you can negotiate the 'terms' too smile

Hi everyone,
I am just wondering about trying for a VBA2C. I had a c-section with my son in Nov 07..it was all a bit confusing at the time and now looking back i don't see there was actually a need for it except for the chance he may have been too big (and he was 2 weeks over and wasn't coming). In 2010 i was allowed to attempt a VBAC with my daughter but that was an epic fail. The let me go over by 2 weeks and because they wouldn't even discuss any form of induction (i was trying to ask about balloon catheter etc...) that resulted in another c-section. I am desperate to have a VBA2C but have a few issues. I am not sure if it is even possible if i was allowed to try....my daughter was so stuck they needed to use forceps to get her out. Does this mean the chances of birthing another large baby naturally are slim taking into account my son was big too? I had a PPH after my daughter...is this likely to happen again if i was to deliver naturally? The biggest issue however is that i need to find a hospital willing to allow it. Is there anyone in the Brisbane area (i live in Ipswich) that know of a hospital or have successfully had one? I have applied to the Mater but don't have much chance being out of the catchment area apparently....Ipswich have already told me they will not touch me. I would love to chat to someone going through this or who has had one already. Would really love to find out about what kind of resistance i will be up against and if you can negotiate the 'terms' too smile

Would love to know how you went. Sorry I have only just started back on Huggies, now being 29 weeks. Otherwise I would love to have been there for you to have someone to talk to about it.

I had my first at the Royal Brisbane but had a c-section due to my son being sick. So unfortunately I couldnt have recommended anyone. Do you have private cover? Did you come across resistance like you had been afraid of?

I am having this next baby by VBAC in Darwin. Deliberately going public even though I had private cover being a Defence member. I was told by a midwife and an independent gynae/obs that I had a better chance of VBAC being public. I went to my first appointment with as much knowledge as I could get my hands on, expecting resistance. But instead I was overwhelmed by the support, was told there was absolutely no reason why I couldnt have a vaginal birth. I am unable to use the birthing centre which is understandable, but was still able to make the choice of midwife clinic care over obs.

Happy with how its all going. Would love to know if there are other mums going for VBAC's soon.

Hi,
Im new here and i read every page up till page 14 then i gave up lol. I wil tell my story:

My first pregnancy was girl/boy twins. I was induced when i was 37 weeks (they broke my waters and put a drip in) and i was given a time limit up until 4:30pm that afternoon, well that time came and went, I was fully dialated but Alice's hear was facing up instead of having her chin to her chest, i was running a temperature and so i had to have an emergency csection. i also should add that i went privately

Second time around i was pregnant with a singleton (a boy) I waited and waited to go into labour, i kept going into labour but it would go after a few hours and it never stayed. At my 39 week appointment my Ob gave me the choice i either booked in for a csection or i had to wait another week, i decided to book in. Im forever grateful that i did as he was a big baby (4115kg) and he was actually really sick at birth, he wasnt breathing as he had mechonium in his mouth etc. they had to suction it out of him and he ended up going to the SCN for 6 hours. The pead had told me that if i waited another week that he would of been dead especially if i had laboured with him.i also should add that i went privately and that he was measuring a week ahead in all the scans and nobody would listen to me in regards to that.

So now im pregnant again (22 weeks) and i would really really love a VBA2C but this time im going public and im still at the same hospital (the mater mothers in brisbane) and when i said that i wanted a VBA2C you would of thought that i was telling them that its a hostage situation or that i was going to shoot them. The OB said that its not a straight up no however most OBs at the hospital wont do it and wil refuse it. I would have to wait until the day to see who is on and weather they will take me on or not, if not straight up to have a csection. Im now feeling very sad and upset, i want a VBA2C as i have 3 kids to run around after already (i caught my partner cheating on me, it had been going on for 3 months so now im a single parent) so its a mission of mine to at least try for one.

The 2things that bothers me is the OB stated to me that the risk of rupture is 1 in 100. Well thats fine with me and my other problem is why cant i just try, why do i have to fight this. I guess my dream option would be that i get induced at 38 weeks and try to have a VBA2C even though there is more of a chance at a rupture, i want to get induced as this baby is measuring a week ahead also and i dont want something happening like the last one. I would hate to wait to go into labour and then get told that they wont let me labour and that i would have to have a csection as that would devistate me.

What can i do?? Do i get a doula? or a private midwife to help me fight this and be supportive if i get my VBA2C way?? Or do i try and find an OB who will be suportive of me trying this and still let me deliver at the mater mothers in brisbane??

I know that im still a while away from making the offcial decisions but the midwife told me to talk to teh Ob today and he obviously thought that i was nuts

Any and all advice is greatly accepted as im a little sad right now that my dream looks like its not going to happen
Hi Lily-Lynette,
I am also hoping to try for a VBAC (1 emergency C-sect) and will be private at the Mater. My ob is happy for this but WILL NOT INDUCE. Apparently this increases the risk of rupture significantly. I suspect this might be part of the problem. SHe has done a strip and stretch and would be happy for my membranes to be ruptured if I go into labour myself. If I do not go into labour spontaneously I will end up with a planned C-sect about 8-10days over dates.
I hope you manage to find something that is right for you!
A&A
Im going VBAC this time around. ( 1st attempt ) As my DS was normal vaginal delivery - DD was emergency ceaser. This is bubba number 3. They can induce you Naturally but can not use the gels with the hormones in them ( Or the drip). They can Insert a balloon into your cervix to open up ( Dialte it) Far enough so they can get to break your waters. This is how i hope to go rather than c section. I am going to be given 1 week to go overdue - Then if nothing - They will induce. smile
Hey there, I'm only just pregnant with #2 LOL! But DS was an emergency c-sec (overdue, induced, failure to progress, fetal distress, large baby, wrong position - so many reasons!). Maybe subconciously I knew that it would end in a c-sec but I just never felt like I would get to the pushing stage, I was also very exhausted as it was 33 hours from beginning to end. I did lose quite a bit of blood and nearly needed a transfusion, but in general I felt I recovered quite well from the c-sec. Granted I didn't have a toddler to run around after.

So I emailed my midwife to book in and first thing she says is hope you get your VBAC this time. Kind of freaked me out because hadn't even thought about it. Now I have been reading this forum for days! I am really scared of VBAC or another c-sec, too late huh.

Anyway, we will be having the baby at Wellington Hospital, New Zealand. Does anyone have any experience of VBAC's at that hospital? And what are their policies?

Hi,
Im new here and i read every page up till page 14 then i gave up lol. I wil tell my story:

My first pregnancy was girl/boy twins. I was induced when i was 37 weeks (they broke my waters and put a drip in) and i was given a time limit up until 4:30pm that afternoon, well that time came and went, I was fully dialated but Alice's hear was facing up instead of having her chin to her chest, i was running a temperature and so i had to have an emergency csection. i also should add that i went privately

Second time around i was pregnant with a singleton (a boy) I waited and waited to go into labour, i kept going into labour but it would go after a few hours and it never stayed. At my 39 week appointment my Ob gave me the choice i either booked in for a csection or i had to wait another week, i decided to book in. Im forever grateful that i did as he was a big baby (4115kg) and he was actually really sick at birth, he wasnt breathing as he had mechonium in his mouth etc. they had to suction it out of him and he ended up going to the SCN for 6 hours. The pead had told me that if i waited another week that he would of been dead especially if i had laboured with him.i also should add that i went privately and that he was measuring a week ahead in all the scans and nobody would listen to me in regards to that.

So now im pregnant again (22 weeks) and i would really really love a VBA2C but this time im going public and im still at the same hospital (the mater mothers in brisbane) and when i said that i wanted a VBA2C you would of thought that i was telling them that its a hostage situation or that i was going to shoot them. The OB said that its not a straight up no however most OBs at the hospital wont do it and wil refuse it. I would have to wait until the day to see who is on and weather they will take me on or not, if not
straight up to have a csection. Im now feeling very sad and upset, i want a VBA2C as i have 3 kids to run around after already (i caught my partner cheating on me, it had been going on for 3 months so now im a single parent) so its a mission of mine to at least try for one.

The 2things that bothers me is the OB stated to me that the risk of rupture is 1 in 100. Well thats fine with me and my other problem is why cant i just try, why do i have to fight this. I guess my dream option would be that i get induced at 38 weeks and try to have a VBA2C even though there is more of a chance at a rupture, i want to get induced as this baby is measuring a week ahead also and i dont want something happening like the last one. I would hate to wait to go into labour and then get told that they wont let me labour and that i would have to have a csection as that would devistate me.

What can i do?? Do i get a doula? or a private midwife to help me fight this and be supportive if i get my VBA2C way?? Or do i try and find an OB who will be suportive of me trying this and still let me deliver at the mater mothers in brisbane??

I know that im still a while away from making the offcial decisions but the midwife told me to talk to teh Ob today and he obviously thought that i was nuts

Any and all advice is greatly accepted as im a little sad right now that my dream looks like its not going to happen

Hi, I'm due in 6wks and going for vba2c. I went private with my 2 boys. This time have a private midwife and am birthing at nambour general hospital. My previous private ob is now the head of obs at nambour so I have to see him prior to get the all clear however at the end of the day it is my decision. I am aware of the risks, I have a friend who's uterus did rupture....her and baby are both fine. I have another friend who had twins through vba2c successfully! My midwife does hypnobirthing which has been great to learn and I feel is going to be great for me. If you arm yourself with information and are 100% comfortable with your decision then you will be able to show your ob that you're making an informed choice. With regards to being induced....i will not be. I have gone 2wks over with my boys and they are happy to let me go a week over this time. My friend who had the uterine rupture was induced using the drip.....which I'm surprised they would even do!
I feel the same as you, like I have to fight for the right to birth how I want. Even up to the last minute. I've done all this prep and still have to fight for it when I see my ob! The only thing I think he's going to be put off by is that my boys were 4.7 & 5 kg!! This time I'm having a girl and I know she'll be just the right size to be born vaginally and I can't wait to do it! If it does all go bad and ends with caesar I will feel like I did everything I could and had control rather than having control taken from me by some scared doctors.
Good luck with your fight. x
Hi lily-lynette - just had an appointment with a different ob while my ob is on holidays and he said he would induce some people with synto (not augment if you are already in labour and stalled, but would induce - not sure in what circumstances, might not still be keen to do it pre-due date). He does go to the Mater, not sure if it is only private or if he does some public too. His name is Murray Stone. Might give you another option.
Hope it helps!
A&A
Hi,

I had a VBAC in April after emergency ceaser for twins in 2004.

The VBAC ended in an emergency laparotomy due to PPH. I lost 3 litres and had 3 units of blood.

In hind sight I wish I'd had a ceaser again, although I had a perfect vaginal delivery up until the PPH. Mind you, I blame the OBS for forcing me to deliver the placenta eventhough I was not ready too, I wasn;'t contracting. He had to pull at the cord which tore from the placenta.

I had ongoing issues with bleeding pain etc for 3mths post partum.

Goodluck and hope it all goes well.

Remember we are all individuals. Tell your obst that too.

Be your own advocate, but utimately take their advice, and keep yourself and bub safe.

I had both deliveries at NWPH on brisbane northside. Different obs though.

Hi,

So now im pregnant again (22 weeks) and i would really really love a VBA2C but this time im going public and im still at the same hospital (the mater mothers in brisbane) and when i said that i wanted a VBA2C you would of thought that i was telling them that its a hostage situation or that i was going to shoot them. The OB said that its not a straight up no however most OBs at the hospital wont do it and wil refuse it. I would have to wait until the day to see who is on and weather they will take me on or not, if not straight up to have a csection. Im now feeling very sad and upset, i want a VBA2C as i have 3 kids to run around after already (i caught my partner cheating on me, it had been going on for 3 months so now im a single parent) so its a mission of mine to at least try for one.

Sign in to follow this topic