Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Labour and Birth
  5. Vaginal Birth After Caesarean (VBAC)

Vaginal Birth After Caesarean (VBAC) Rss

Hello,

I am trying to decide if I should try for VBAC or have another c section. my 1st was an emergency c/s after drawn out awful labour experience and I am terrified of having the same thing happen again.

Why do so many people try so hard to have a VBAC what are the advantages??

To me the thought of tears and episotomies and an exhausting painful labour is far worse that a planned c section. My main reason for contemplating VBAC is so I will be able to lift my wee boy.
The advantages of a VBAC are those of a natural birth. All a VBAC is a Vaginal Birth After having had a C-section. Yes, being able to pick up your other children after giving birth is wonderful, as compared to the pain you may feel of a c-section. Also for some, its not just physical benefits its psychological - having my VBA2C really helped me get over the negative feelings I had after my 2nd c-section (it was an elective that I shouldn't have elected to have lol!).

I too had a long first labour only to end in an emergency c-section. Though my 3rd DD's birth was also long it ended in a vaginal birth and meant so much for me to be able to have that chance.

But its a choice. It depends on your reasons for wanting a VBAC or c-section. There are no right or wrong choices. Just your choice (apart from medical advise from your OB that is!).

I would love love love to have a VBAC but I wont get a chance after two cesareans.. In fact i dont know any Ob that would let me.. my own ob definately wont...

I attempted a VBAC with my second after having about 6 sessions of accupuncture I went into labour naturally but decided early on to have a cesar for the recovery factor and that Bubs wasnt in the right position.

Good luck to those that are getting the chance. I envy you.

I would love love love to have a VBAC but I wont get a chance after two cesareans.. In fact i dont know any Ob that would let me.. my own ob definately wont...

I attempted a VBAC with my second after having about 6 sessions of accupuncture I went into labour naturally but decided early on to have a cesar for the recovery factor and that Bubs wasnt in the right position.

Good luck to those that are getting the chance. I envy you.


Is there a medical reason that your OB won't 'let you' attempt a VBA2C?

You mentioned bubs wasn't in the right position for your VBAC?

It may be possible to try for a VBA2C, maybe ask for a referral to a different OB.

Recovery factor is a debatable one with natural vs c-section. The recovery after my first c-section was more painful than the second, even with a toddler. After my VBA2C the initial recovery was fantastic, could pick up the kids without a painful wound to be mindful of! Just had some natural birth complications wiggle their way in there but not everyone has this! Are you concenred re giving birth, like maybe tearing, to opt for a c-section for the recovery factor?


Is there a medical reason that your OB won't 'let you' attempt a VBA2C?

You mentioned bubs wasn't in the right position for your VBAC?

It may be possible to try for a VBA2C, maybe ask for a referral to a different OB.

Recovery factor is a debatable one with natural vs c-section. The recovery after my first c-section was more painful than the second, even with a toddler. After my VBA2C the initial recovery was fantastic, could pick up the kids without a painful wound to be mindful of! Just had some natural birth complications wiggle their way in there but not everyone has this! Are you concenred re giving birth, like maybe tearing, to opt for a c-section for the recovery factor?



I have been told by a midwife who is a very good friend as well as my obstetrician that there is too much risk for uterine rupture in a second VBAC attempt.

I had failure to progress after being induced at 40 weeks with my first. He was OP presentation with his head lodged sideways in my pelvis and I only got to 4cm in 14 hours and he went into distress hence emergency section.

Second DS I went into labour naturally at 39 weeks and 3 days after trying accupuncture and painting the lounge room! My hind waters broke but he was not engaged and stayed up under my ribcage and my contractions were too inconsistent. I decided on a section and recovered better apart from a wound rupture two days after due to falty suture material.

This one I have been advised I wont be able to try naturally.


I decided on a section and recovered better apart from a wound rupture two days after due to falty suture material.

This one I have been advised I wont be able to try naturally.


Ouch you poor thing!

Well good luck on a safe arrival of your bubs! How baby enters the world is just one part of the experience and I wish all the best to you and your family with your upcoming little bundle of joy.


I have been told by a midwife who is a very good friend as well as my obstetrician that there is too much risk for uterine rupture in a second VBAC attempt.

Ask them to provide the stats and information that supports that. The risk of rupture is less than 1% and only increase slightly for VBA2C (still under 2%) You always have a choice, after all they can't go ahead with a c/s if you don't consent smile
my ob basically said two strikes and your out.. with regards to vbacs and trying for a 2nd.. so i am happy to go with the cesarian option. its easier all round as dh will have the 8 weeks or so off and my mother inlaw can book her flights to come and visit!
Hi everyone,

My first son was induced due to lack of amniotic fluid, he was 10 days overdue as well. Within 20hours of full on labour I opted for an epidural which ended up not even working very well! another 22hours later and baby became distressed, i got an infection and so i had an emergency cesearean. Ill spare you the details but scariest time in my life due to epidural not even working and i was so beside myself i couldnt even communicate this!
6months later i got pregnant again and i was so scared - i told my midwife i want GA and no trial of labour - i just wanted it cut out and over with. Luckily my midwife is an amazing woman who gently talked me through and educated me about VBAC. Despite getting gestational diabetes i pushed on with my dream of a a vbac and after getting induced (due to possible large baby) using the catheter method I went in to labour. The whole experience was wholly different! the pains started off small and grew bigger and more painful but i had time to adjust and work with it. 4 hours in to established labour i said ' what if i want an epidural?' and my midwife kindly said 'give me 1/2 an hour Joeliee, try a shower first ok?' and i was like ok so i got in the shower and immediately needed to push - It was amazing, the pain vanished and i became engulfed in the need to get this baby out. After an hour o f pushing and sucking on gas lol i pushe dout a beautiful 10p 2oz baby boy. With only an episiotomy to help! The most amazing part was that i had an shower within the hour - with my first son it was 3 days! Cesearean IS NOT the easier option. It IS NOT the safest option and although i am 2 weeks from giving birth to another equally large baby I will NOT be having a cesearean unless its a life threatning situation. The biggest thing ive learnt is how little doctors actually know for sure - its one big informed guess - it can be empowering and beautiful. Dont get me wrong im scared... of shoulder dyslocia, of labour, but i know one thing - my vbac was WAY better physically, emotionally and psycologically for me and our family

Does anyone know of a pro VBAC Ob in the st george area, as DS1 was a C-section due to him not engaging by 40 weeks and my Ob encouraging a C-section (I had Gestational Diabetes too; even though i regret it now); DD1 was another c-section with a different OB as i was 42 weeks and hadn't gone into labour spontaneously; because the head was still high he wouldn't induce me; planning on Baby #3 and i really really want to try for a VBA2C; but i'm convinced i need the right obstertrician who is willing to assist me in trying for a vaginal birth after 2 c-sections; any ideas would be greatly appreciated. thanks

St George Area in Sydney NSW; sorry i forgot the state.


Hi,

I do wish to have a VBAC after having emerg.. c-section.

I have Gestational diabetes so I am worried the baby will be big again. I am on insulin.

My OB told me I will not be induced at 38 weeks dont know why.

This will be our last child per the complications so I pray to god for a VB and a healthy baby.

My husband doesn't understand my pain that I experienced and I had post natal depression.

Good Luck to you other mums with a VB.
We can only pray for the best outcome of the baby.

Katia

i can tell you the reason they will not induce you after having a c-sec is that the fact that inducment is usually full on from word go and it puts too much stress on the scar and there is a possibility of rupture.

Make sure you look into all your options and good luck.
Sign in to follow this topic