Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Water Births - comments welcome Rss

I am 25 weeks into my second pregnancy and am starting to stress out about labour. My 1st labour wasn't what I would call great (induced early).
I am starting to seriously contemplate the idea of a water birth. Not that I feel comfortable having it at home - I would prefer to be in hospital or a birthing centre 'just in case' (plus, don't really want the neighbours to hear me just in case I am loud).

Has anybody experienced a water birth? If so, can you please tell me all of the positives and the negatives about it, in particular if you are able to compare it to having a 'land birth'.

Also, how do you go about hiring a birthing pool etc etc.

Interested in hearing any advice I can about water births.

I have really painful varicose veins in my legs so I am hoping that by having a water birth it will help with the pain in my legs at least by being in the water. (the pressure from the water really helps my legs feel good).

Thanks....

Linda

Linda (Jessica 3/4/03, Caleb 11/4/05)

My sister had a water birth with her third but it was at the hospital. She said it was the best thing ever! I know that her first birth was pretty hard (she lost a lot of blood and it took a long time) and her second was better but not by much. She keeps telling me to consider it so I'm going to talk to my midwife about it. I don't think I'd want to do it at home (or have any type of birth at home) for the same reasons as you - who wants the neighbours to know!

Another girl I know had hired a pool for use at home but by the time they had filled it for her she didn't want to get in. She'd been in the bath while waiting for them to fill it and had found the water uncomfortable (she said it felt like the water was going inside her) so she never used it.

Mum to Caitlin & Owain

Hi Linda,

I have not had a water birth myself. I did use the bath during my labour at the hospital though and found it a great help. I would love to have a water birth next time and will be checking into it. Good luck finding out info, I will keep my eyes on this forum to see what people say. Also, if you do have a water birth, I would love to hear how it goes smile

Linda - mum to Riley 13.04.04 (#2 Due 29.12.05)

hi, i had a water birth with my son, he was born 8/6/04 i had him in the spa in the burthing unit at flinders hospital. and i recomend it to anyone. my first was born in the labour ward and i feel that with my son i was much more comfortable in the bath... i still used gas though (THANK GOD FOR GAS). but i think most people make the mistake of getting in the bath too early, you need to get in there when your close to needing to push. it was the most magical thing i deffinately feel it was better than a normal birth. give it a try

Hi.

Can't compare it to a land birth but I had a water birth with my dughter Maddison back in August and I'm so glad I did. I had wanted to have her in the water. It's so relaxing that in between contractions I was falling asleep. Before I got in they were 2 minutes apart. Then when I got in they slowed down to 4 minutes apart but they were so intence I had the urge to push straight away. The water also reduces the need for drugs (I didn't have any, not even gass) and stitches because the water softens up the perineal area. Didn't have stitches either by the way. I guess everyone is different and all you can do is give it a go but if you love having a bath at home and find it relaxes you then go for it. My daughter came into the world very calm and relaxed aswell and has not been a scrap of trouble in 5 months. They say baies who are born without much stress are easy babies to deal with. Sleep better, eat better, just generally calmer babies. Maddison also loves the water. The only time she whinges in the bath is when she has to get out. She starts swimming lessons next week so she's gonne have a blast. If you have any questions feel free to email me at dvl10n@lycos.com Goodluck

Maddison,NSW,20/08/04

Hi Linda
You're on the home stretch now... Congratulations!
I 100% recommend a water birth. It's so natural and relaxing for both you and bub.
I went through a birth centre, so I didn't need to worry about hiring a birthing pool. They looked after everything.
I can't compare my labour to 'land birth' but I can say I didn't need drugs or any stiching afterwards, and I think the water contributed to it. However, I did spend some time on a fit ball etc outside of the bath which helped too. Just remember to work with your body, not against it and you'll soon be welcoming your little one into the world : )
Just quickly, have you booked into the birth centre at your hospital? Places fill up really quickly so if you're considering it, it's best to let them know ASAP.
Best of luck.

Jennifer, DS 21/06/03, DS 16/10/05

Sign in to follow this topic