Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

bubs has engaged Rss

Hi everyone.. I am now 37 +3 weeks pregnant with my first. Doctor has just told me that bubs' head has now fully engaged (has been in the process about a week or so)
Heard many stories and theories about when baby is engaged. - Does this mean theres a count down now?
My MIL tells me that all her 5 bubs were born within 5 days of the head becoming 'fully' engaged, and that is how it happens.
Other people tell me that it means that you are going to give birth within 2 weeks.
Does anyone know about this? Or have any stories of their own experiances they would like to tell me?

Either way... it won't be long, Was just curious.
Thanks!
Cindy

Cindy due 26th December 04

I wouldn't have a clue about whether it means the time is close or not but I'll be interested in the responses as I'm also pregnant with my first. I just want to wish you luck with the birth (and afterwards of course) and express how jealous I am that you are so close when I still have so long to go!!!

Mum to Caitlin & Owain

hi cindy..
when this happened to me i was told to get ready as it was nealy time well i was ready but he decided to stay in that position for another 3 weeks so i went from first week in dec til the last week sitting around waiting for something to happen mind you i had my first contraction on christmas morning and that was it until the 30th when he did decide it was time.

dena,vic, 12 year old and 3 year old boys + ????

I was fully engaged at 35 weeks and was finally induced at 41 weeks so in my case id didn't mean anything. I think the cirvics ( sp?!?! dosen't look rightcan't even spell my own body part! ) has to be ripe aswell ..
hi smile

the most my baby's have ever engaged is 3/5's and they were born at 37 and 38 wks.

good luck smile

Kristi 5 kids. www.familynfriends.forumwise.com

hey!
This usually just means that the baby is in a good position for birth, head low down ready for the big journey! good luck!

SaM, EviE NoV 03 AnD TuLLy AuG 05

Its hard to say when your "going" to have your baby, no- one can really say when, usually in your 1st pregnancy the head starts to become engaged around 34 -36 wks, in subsequent pregnancies it engages when your about to have it; so if your 37 wks + thats prefectly normal, my first only engaged 2 days before delivery (due to polyhydramnios, and freedom of movement).

My sisters 1st was fully engaged at 35wks, and she went 2 days overdue and ended u p getting induced; so...... i guess they just come when their ready.

Good luck!!!!!

Rochelle, mother of 2

I dont believe the 5 day or the 2 week thing. As my first son engaged at 36 weeks, my 2nd son at 39weeks, adn I am now 30 weeks with my 3rd son and he engaged last Sunday morning when i went into labour which the doctors stopped thankfully. My mum always said to me it just means take it easy as it isnt far now and thats what i have done. My first son was 5 days before EDD, my second son was 5 days after EDD, and thsi one well the doctors think anytime. I just advise tostay close to home and dont over do your self, and it will happen.

Good Luck

Kathy,VIC,Josh 8, Alex 7, Michael 1

Sign in to follow this topic