Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

WATER BIRTHS? Rss

HI EVERYONE. JUST WONDERING IF ANY BODY HAS HAD A WATER BIRTH AND WHAT THERE FEELINGS ON THESE ARE. I HAVE A TWO YEAR OLD AND WAS A PUSS WHEN I HAD HER BUT I'M TOLD THAT THE WATER HELPS EASE THE PAIN. I'M DUE IN MAY AND AM OPEN TO ANY NON DRUG IDEAS BEFORE I JUMP FOR THEM AGAIN. THANKS LANI

Anna 25/8/02, Joshua 27/4/05

Hi lani

I dont know much about water births but I wanted to know why you think you were a real 'puss' with your first daughter's birth?

Jeanie

Jeanie, QLD, toddler girl and boy and pregnant

Hi Lani,

I agree with Jeanie, why were you a 'puss'? I am also considering a water birth, or at least spending most of labour in the shower or bath. I now know they have they gas connection in the bathroom at my hospital, so that has made me happier.

I don't regard myself as a wuss, nor do a lot of my family or friends, but I figure why endure more painand as such stress yourself and possibly the baby out.

Sydney, BJ born 28.01.05 CJ born 17.08.06

hi thanks for your replies. I was a big puss cos as soon as they made me concentrate and time my contractions i needed the gas, I was fine up until then and just ignored them. I tried the shower which worked for a little while, they wouldn't combine the gas with the shower even though they had a portable.
They have just upgraded the bathroom in they labour ward and they have a portable permently in there, I just have to make sure I'm the first one there that day as it is the main labour ward they use and the only one with a bath.
Also don't use the gas on the bed with a bean bag this equals disaster, i fell off the bed and my partner just managed to catch me before i hit the ground. I thought this was hilarious at the time as I was so high on the gas though. Regardless of having a water birth or not i will probably still be sucking on the gas, that stuff works miracles.

Anna 25/8/02, Joshua 27/4/05

Hi lani

Just because you use drugs during labour does not make you any less of a woman or a 'puss'. Agony in labour isnt some sort of right of passage we as women have to go through.

Hey I used the gas and I had an epidural and then a c/section and I dont feel like a pussy or less of a woman.

I can relate to your gas and bean bag incident though. That gas can definitely be dangerous. lol

I remembered to that the latest issue of the Woolworths Australian Parents magazine has an article on water births in it, so maybe that will help.

I hope you are able to have your waterbirth and you will have to keep us posted on how you go.

Jeanie

Jeanie, QLD, toddler girl and boy and pregnant

Hi Lani,

I don't think any woman who gives birth c-section or vaginally is a puss. We are delivering one of the most amazing miracles ever. Just because it is extremely painful and we resort to drugs doesn't make us pusses.

I haven't had a water birth, but I came very close with my second daugther. Through both my labours I spent most of time in the bathroom. Either under the shower or in the spa bath. I was in the spa bath when my water broke with my second daughter and I only just made the bed in time to push her out.

I am sure that you will find a solution. Even if it means sucking on the gas again. Just remember that men would probably die if they had to go through what we do. I hope everything works out for you.

Good luck.
Danielle

QLD DD 2/02 DD 3/03 DD 2/05 Jack 23/3/07

hi, i had a water birth with my son, he was born 8/6/04 i had him in the spa in the burthing unit at flinders hospital. and i recomend it to anyone. my first was born in the labour ward and i feel that with my son i was much more comfortable in the bath... i still used gas though (THANK GOD FOR GAS). but bare in mind by the time i got to the hospital i was almost compleately dialated. i dont feel the pains were less painfull being in the bath but i relaxed more between contractions though. thats what you really need. anyways i hope yous all give it ago because its fantastic.

tamara

Sign in to follow this topic