Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Labour and Birth
  5. How you react to contractions directly relates to speed of labour?

How you react to contractions directly relates to speed of labour? Rss

I'm just after some other opinions, I am pregnant with No.2, due in August and I'm thinking about the birth.
With DS we were in hospital we were in hospital - we were due to be induced at 38 weeks (DS had stopped growing), my waters broke the night before, we went in, and had gel on cervix the next morning to speed things up.
My contractions were around 3 minutes apart from 10 in the morning, at 3pm I was 3cm dilated, at 7pm I was 4.5cm, I was told I would need to go onto the syntocin drip and I requested an epidural. While we waited for the epidural I was kind of out of it, I seemed to completely relax/embrace the pain as i knew it would be over soon, by the time they came to put the epidural in I was fully dilated and DS was born an hour after I had been 4.5cm.
So, (sorry for the ramble) I am wondering what your thoughts are on how quickly you dilate is directly related to how you react to the contractions? All day through my contractions I had tensed up, counting through them, rocking from side to side on my yoga ball (I was monitored the whole time, so couldn't move more than a metre from the bed), then once I knew I would get the epidural I think I relaxed and then it all happened.
Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences/views smile

I agree that in a normal birth (without complications) the calmer you remain the quicker things are likely to go. Had both birth 1 and 2 at home. The first taking 9 hours and the second 7. Both were straight forward and who knows maybe able to shave some more time of in my third labour smile
Thanks for your opinions smile

I hear you Mimsy!! For me the internal examinations were by far the worst part of labour. One of the midwives was lucky she didn't get kicked in the face. She was doing an exam, which was not wonderful but OK, the contraction came, I told her it was coming, she puts had further up and is trying to feel if baby still has sac in tact - I had told her my waters broke at home - but oh no she is fully in there trying to pick a hole in it with her hand and I'm trying to squirm back up the bed and get her hand out of there - what a B^%&h!! I know that perhaps she was trying to do her job, but from then on in I was absolutely dreading the exams, which were two more, but thankfully then I had a different midwife attending me who was really gentle and instead of trying to get the non existent waters to break with her hand, she attached a heart rate monitor to DS's head which killed two birds with one stone, monitored him and if sac was still in place it would have pierced it.

Hi Wageha,

Congratulations on your pregnancy! I believe that if you are more relaxed your body follows and does what it needs to do. I read some Hypnobirthing books when I was pregnant with my DS and it taught me how to relax and breathe through each contraction etc. My labour was only 4.5 hours. I wanted to stay at home for as long as possible but after only an hour, my contractions were less than a minute apart. I got to the hospital an hour and a half after I went into labour and they did an internal examination half an hour after that and I was already 8 cm's dilated. I don't know if I was just lucky, but I really thought that what I had learned helped me through it quickly.

I hope your second labour is easier from the beginning smile
quote post="3553066" name="Keen Mummy"][b]Keen Mummy wrote[/b]:
Hi Wageha,

Congratulations on your pregnancy! I believe that if you are more relaxed your body follows and does what it needs to do. I read some Hypnobirthing books when I was pregnant with my DS and it taught me how to relax and breathe through each contraction etc. My labour was only 4.5 hours. I wanted to stay at home for as long as possible but after only an hour, my contractions were less than a minute apart. I got to the hospital an hour and a half after I went into labour and they did an internal examination half an hour after that and I was already 8 cm's dilated. I don't know if I was just lucky, but I really thought that what I had learned helped me through it quickly.

I hope your second labour is easier from the beginning smile[/quote]
cool, thanks for that, I'll definitely have a look at getting a hypnobirthing book smile

I think it's true to some extent. With both my labours I did most of the work at home, was pretty relaxed and coping with the pain. With DD I was 6cm when I got to the hospital, after 5hours at home, which was pretty good for a first labour! Then I asked for pethidine (not cos I needed it for pain relief, but because I was told it can make you dilate faster.) 20min later I was fully dilated, but completely out of it so I wasn't pushing very well. I felt like I couldn't do it, didn't want to do it anymore, and it took 40min pushing till she was born, with a fairly large 2nd degree tear.
This time around I started contracting in the morning, but spent most of the time hoping it wouldn't stop, which of course it did for a few hours, I think now because I was stressed that it would stop, and we dropped DD off at my mums early and DH took the day off work for no reason. Then as soon as I dropped him off at the train so he could go to work they started again. And since DH wasn't there I didn't mind what happened and things moved pretty quickly. 1hr after picking DH up from the trains including going home so he could change and dropping things off at my mums DS was born, 5min pushing.

I do think that sometimes no matter what mood or state if mind you are in, your body just does it's own thing. I believe that there are people who are never going to have a easy labour, because their bodies just cope and work differently...

*Mimsy wrote:
wageha wrote:
Thanks for your opinions smile

I hear you Mimsy!! For me the internal examinations were by far the worst part of labour. One of the midwives was lucky she didn't get kicked in the face. She was doing an exam, which was not wonderful but OK, the contraction came, I told her it was coming, she puts had further up and is trying to feel if baby still has sac in tact - I had told her my waters broke at home - but oh no she is fully in there trying to pick a hole in it with her hand and I'm trying to squirm back up the bed and get her hand out of there - what a B^%&h!! I know that perhaps she was trying to do her job, but from then on in I was absolutely dreading the exams, which were two more, but thankfully then I had a different midwife attending me who was really gentle and instead of trying to get the non existent waters to break with her hand, she attached a heart rate monitor to DS's head which killed two birds with one stone, monitored him and if sac was still in place it would have pierced it.

I know. Picture that girl from the exorcist crab walking down the stairs. That was me, trying to crawl backwards while lying down to escape the exam. Probably looked a bit like her too by that point. I had a lot of pressure from DDs head down below because she was posterior, so for someone's hand and arm to be jammed up there was the only time I screamed and needed gas.

lol!I don't suppose her name was michelle at Waikato? I'll never forget her! Better hope I'm not back in there with this one, as I will just refuse to be cared for by her smile

Yep, I'm really hoping I can have this one at Huntly birthcare as it's only 5 minutes down the road.
Last time I was wanting to go to Waterford in hams, but now that I've had 3 minute contractions the last thing I want is a 40 min car journey smile
Fingers crossed this one keeps growing so I don't have to be induced again smile

I handled the contractions calmly and positively and still spent 13 hours in pain with no progression. I ended up having a Caesarian as the baby was in an awkward position. Sometimes stuff just happens, there seems to be no reason behind the way births go.
Sign in to follow this topic