Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Labour and Birth
  5. Birthing or pulling out of placenta

Birthing or pulling out of placenta Rss

I hadn't come across this before, but recently read that it is better the placenta is birthed out, but that some midwives or doctors just pull it out (and that this can have risks) Curious other peoples experiences?
With DD1 it came out naturalty, but with DD2 the midwife didnt even ask and just pulled on it and it hurt, alot, i told her to stop, she jumped straight to telling me if i didnt let her help me, by pulling it out, i had to have the injection. I refused and it came out naturaly within the minute. It can cause bleeding if it doesnt detach properly cant it?
Nobody just yanks it out. Usually they wait for signs of it detaching and ask the mother to push while applying a bit of traction - but by this stage, it should already have separated from the uterine wall.

Follow my blog "Bed Rest for Baby" at http://www.babysteps1804.wordpress.com

With DD1 they pulled mine out and it shredded leaving big peices of plecenta still attached and I had problems afterward. They didnt even ask what I wanted to do they just did it. It didnt hurt tho. I was too occupied at the time by my baby because she came out flat line. Next time I will probably specify that I want to birth the placenta naturally in my birth plan
mummypride wrote:
With DD1 they pulled mine out and it shredded leaving big peices of plecenta still attached and I had problems afterward. They didnt even ask what I wanted to do they just did it. It didnt hurt tho. I was too occupied at the time by my baby because she came out flat line. Next time I will probably specify that I want to birth the placenta naturally in my birth plan

Im glad im not the only one who had it pulled on. Sad that they couldve done some serious damage tho. Aww that would have been hard having bubs born like that. Where im from they give you 15min to birth placenta naturally before you get the injection to help it out. I had my DD1 and DD2 in diffrent islands so maybe down south midwifes do it differently.
I got the injection straight after giving birth and mine just came out. TBH I didn't even feel it! Lol
My hospitals policy was to give everyone the injection. We had to sign a consent when we did the admission forms.

I had an injection and didn't even feel the urge to push but the midwife just said to.

She must have pulled a little to fast as I haemorrhaged so I am guessing mine was still half attached as well.
Mine came out with just a gentle nudge after 20 min. Had the baby on the breast which made the contractions pretty strong.
Morganh_Nz wrote:
mummypride wrote:

Im glad im not the only one who had it pulled on. Sad that they couldve done some serious damage tho. Aww that would have been hard having bubs born like that. Where im from they give you 15min to birth placenta naturally before you get the injection to help it out. I had my DD1 and DD2 in diffrent islands so maybe down south midwifes do it differently.

Was scary but she came good and only had to stay in special care for 3 days. I think it all depend where you have your baby cause hospitals have different policies and some mw are quick to pull.
Sign in to follow this topic