Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

question about placenta labour. Rss

Just a question I hope someone can help me out with.

With my last pregnancy in labour the placenta didn't come away at all and had to have it manually removed.
My question is for anyone whos been through the same thing, did your placenta come away with your next labour??

TIA
I had a drug free birth with my last labour and also had the injection to help bring the placenta away but it wouldn't budge. So I had to have a spinal injection and have it removed which I really hated so I was just wondering if it might not come away again and go through it again like last time. Thanks for your reply tho!
Mel+2 wrote:
Oh wow I thought the injection worked but obviously not for everyone smile I had a spinal for my last birth so that's why I guess it was manually removed to hurry things along as I wasn't in great shape last time around. Good luck with your next labour smile

Thanks Mel+2! Appreciate your reply!
Rosie Mumma wrote:
Hey, I had a manual removal of placenta (none of it came out) with DS 4 weeks ago- it was also a drug free birth and I had the shot to help placenta move but it didn't work...... Can't help you with the subsequent labour question but my midwives did warn me that because I'd had 2 D&C's prior to this birth (one with an incomplete MC and the other after our daughter was stillborn last year- placenta failed to come away at all) I was at higher risk for the placenta not coming away this time. They were right unfortunately.

Thank you for sharing that info with me. It is rather helpful! I think I just want to prepare myself for the possible what if's this time around! I will talk to my MW at my next appointment.
Thanks again Rosie Mumma!! Can't believe your little boy is 4 weeks old already! Time is flying!
Yep I totally agree! I was soo nervous when I came out of theater and my baby was no where to be seen.i kinda freaked! But he was brought to me swiftly! I really want hours of skin2skin contact this time around too! Im just gona try everything thing I can to help the placenta along this time. I hadn't even read a thing about the placenta not being able to come away so I had no idea! I'm prepared this time! smile
Hi there, I had to be put under after having DD1 to have the placenta removed as well. I was worried it would happen again as I hated being taken away from my baby and also the anesthetic really seemed to knock me around. DS had to be born by CS so I don't know what would have happened there but DD3 is now 4 months old and when she was born the midwives were straight on to it. I was given the injection straight away and when it didn't look like it was coming one of them came behind me and used the accupressure point on your shoulders and it came out pretty soon after she started that. May have been coincidence but it seemed to work pretty well. When I asked about it through my pregnancy they kind of said it is one of those things that can just happen once or some women seemed to have a tendancy to retain the placenta. Hopefully for you it was just a once off. Good luck!
Thanks kbbear!! Thats so cool that your midwife/s knew what to do and were on2it asap..I just hope my midwife is the same! I really don't want to go down that road again...but who knows!-I'll do what I gota do!! Thanks for your advice & helpful reply!
Apples&Oranges wrote:
Thanks kbbear!! Thats so cool that your midwife/s knew what to do and were on2it asap..I just hope my midwife is the same! I really don't want to go down that road again...but who knows!-I'll do what I gota do!! Thanks for your advice & helpful reply!

No worries, I also just remembered that my midwife also got me to start taking raspberry leaf when I was around about 34wks. Not sure how far along you are but if you would like to do this please talk to your midwife first because I can't remember how much, when it was safe to start taking it or if there were any reasons why it shouldn't be taken ect
I am not sure what hospital policies are because I have not birthed in a hospital for a long time but how long were you given to let the placenta to detach naturally?
I am slow when it comes to my placentas the two younger kids took over an hour but once they came away they were whole and complete.
Skin on skin contact and breastfeeding helps the placenta to detach because it produces the hormones that are needed to help the process along.
Maybe discuss natural options and positions that help the placenta too.

http://decadent-delights1.webnode.com/blog/
My blog, take a peek into my world

BellyDancingDanni wrote:
I am not sure what hospital policies are because I have not birthed in a hospital for a long time but how long were you given to let the placenta to detach naturally?
I am slow when it comes to my placentas the two younger kids took over an hour but once they came away they were whole and complete.
Skin on skin contact and breastfeeding helps the placenta to detach because it produces the hormones that are needed to help the process along.
Maybe discuss natural options and positions that help the placenta too.

I was given the injection after about 10mins of the placenta not comming away then my MW checked about 30 mins after that but it wasnt comming. So I was booked into have the manual removal. But I had to wait atleast 3 hours for a space in theatre. And I don't think anyone checked it before I went in. sad
I did have all that time with my baby skin2skin tho so that was good.

But hey-I guess these things teach u life long lessons!!smile

Sign in to follow this topic