Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Labour and Birth
  5. Interested in using a Doula, wanting feedback

Interested in using a Doula, wanting feedback Rss

I am really interested in hearing from anyone who has used a doula, am considering using one for our first birth to try and minimize medication intervention if possible.
I haven't used one but I don't really get what they offer that your dh or partner (assuming you have one) can't offer. My husband was great. Encouraging, let me lean on him when my contractions were at their worst. A dpula is non medically trained and very expensive.
Apologies to any of the doulas on here but its just my opinion, each to their own.They may prove me wrong if I saw one in actiom but the only one I saw was on one born every minute and the husband stood therr awkwardly because this woman was doing his job. The midwives commented on the husband looking a bit left out.

It's great if your husband is supportive and you feel that is what you need, I guess that would be considered ideal. Unfortunately not everyone is the same and my partner is not keen on birth at all. I am scared he won't be able to help me if I need, but also that if he's freaked out I wont be any good to him either if I'm in the depths of labour pains so that leaves me feeling both upset and guilty. I was on my own for my last labour and birth and my son was still born. So this time terrified doesn't even begin to describe how I feel. I have been considering a doula but am too shy to actually make enquiries or find out about it. I've thought instead of asking a girlfriend but not sure if that's too much to ask of someone? I think maybe it is. I think a doula could be great in that they are a neutral, third party person that stays calm and strong and unemotional through your labour, which could be really helpful for some people. Just my thoughts.

Sorry powerkath - haven't used a doula so not much help to you. But my neighbour used the same doula for both her children and says she found it really helpful. let us know what you decide.
Slacktarts wrote:
It's great if your husband is supportive and you feel that is what you need, I guess that would be considered ideal. Unfortunately not everyone is the same and my partner is not keen on birth at all. I am scared he won't be able to help me if I need, but also that if he's freaked out I wont be any good to him either if I'm in the depths of labour pains so that leaves me feeling both upset and guilty. I was on my own for my last labour and birth and my son was still born. So this time terrified doesn't even begin to describe how I feel. I have been considering a doula but am too shy to actually make enquiries or find out about it. I've thought instead of asking a girlfriend but not sure if that's too much to ask of someone? I think maybe it is. I think a doula could be great in that they are a neutral, third party person that stays calm and strong and unemotional through your labour, which could be really helpful for some people. Just my thoughts.

Sorry powerkath - haven't used a doula so not much help to you. But my neighbour used the same doula for both her children and says she found it really helpful. let us know what you decide.

Slacktarts that is awful about your last birth, you poor thing, completely understand why you would be terrified this time round! sad

I think a doula sounds like an excellent idea, and I suppose it just depends how supportive your husband is. My husband was great, but he didn't really know what to do and our midwife was a bit useless and didn't offer any help or advice, so having someone around who was calm and supportive and could suggest things to help you would be awesome.
But they do sound V expensive!! smile

Love this quote!

“Asking your husband to be your sole guide through labor is like asking him to lead the way on a climb of Mt Everest. He may be smart and trustworthy, you may love him, but in the Himalayas you’d both be a lot better off with a Sherpa!” - Pam England
Thanks, I don't doubt my husband will play a vital role, regardless of whether we a have a doula, he likes the idea of someone ( other than me in labour) giving advice and direction not only to me but him also.... Will discuss with our obs after our antenatal classes if we are still looking that way
Powerkath1 wrote:
Thanks, I don't doubt my husband will play a vital role, regardless of whether we a have a doula, he likes the idea of someone ( other than me in labour) giving advice and direction not only to me but him also.... Will discuss with our obs after our antenatal classes if we are still looking that way

Powerkath1,

Have you considered a student midwife as additional support during your pregnancy, labour & birth?

I am a second year bachelor of midwifery student at ACU in Melbourne and as part of my degree I am involved in the Continuity of Care program (CCE). This program involves me supporting 20 women through their pregnancies, labour & birth. Being part of this program would provide you with an extra support person for the rest of you pregnancy, your labour and the birth of your baby (for free).

I have completed the CCE program with 8 women and am currently supporting number 9 through her first pregnancy.
Midwifery is something that I am very passionate about and I strongly believe in women having adequate support during labour to reduce the need for medical intervention (if this supports the woman's wishes).

If this sounds like something that you're interested in, or you would like to ask me any further questions, please feel free to contact me.

Hope to hear from you soon,
Erin
Missedodd wrote:
Have you considered a student midwife as additional support during your pregnancy, labour & birth?

I am a second year bachelor of midwifery student at ACU in Melbourne and as part of my degree I am involved in the Continuity of Care program (CCE). This program involves me supporting 20 women through their pregnancies, labour & birth. Being part of this program would provide you with an extra support person for the rest of you pregnancy, your labour and the birth of your baby (for free).

I have completed the CCE program with 8 women and am currently supporting number 9 through her first pregnancy.
Midwifery is something that I am very passionate about and I strongly believe in women having adequate support during labour to reduce the need for medical intervention (if this supports the woman's wishes).

If this sounds like something that you're interested in, or you would like to ask me any further questions, please feel free to contact me.

Hope to hear from you soon,
Erin

Hi Erin I would be interested in this, however not sure if you know of students around the snowy mountains NSW? I have send you a follow request also so I can message you. Keen to find out more if possible. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this topic