Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Cord Blood Donation Rss

Clamping vs. Not clamping

My GP said that they clamp straight away, unless I don't want them to.
But they're all pro 'skin to skin' straight after birth, GP said that if baby is on my chest that the blood will be running from baby back to placenta.

To get the full benefit baby would have to sit between my legs for the 10 minutes or so it takes to stop pumping.

She also said something in regards to not clamping straight away increasing likelihood of Jaundice. Anyone know what that is about? I think I need more info on this.

So far google & my GP differ greatly on this topic. Need some facts!

Anyone help??

Rubbish, rubbish and more rubbish! <span class="emoticon angry">angry</span>

With DS2 we did delayed cord clamping and he was on my chest the whole time; he had jaundice but not nearly as bad as DS1 who we didn't do delayed cord clamping with.

IMO the benefits of delayed cord clamping outweigh any benefits of immediate clamping assuming there are no medical issues for mum or baby. Not sure what you have read so far but these might be beneficial:

Cord Blood – Why Delaying Cord Clamping Benefits Your Baby

5 Good Reasons for Delaying Clamping the Cord

Will see if I can dig up any med journal articles about it.

Once considered a waste product, umbilical cord blood (UCB) was discarded with the placenta after delivery. It has been found to be a rich source of life-saving hematopoietic stem cells with advances in medicine and has saved many lives over the past decades. UCB can be collected after the delivery of the baby from the umbilical cord. No risk to the baby or mother is posed by this process. UCB is collected from the umbilical vein into an anticoagulant solution containing a sterile closed system collection bag. The bag is then transported to the blood bank of the cord, where it is tested, processed and cryopreserved.

The role of cord blood stem cells in the field of regenerative medicine is still under study and the benefits are largely speculative in this respect. Private banking is highly recommended when an existing family member has a condition that has been approved to be cured by allogeneic stem cell transplantation such as leukemia, hemoglobinopathy, bone marrow failure, etc.

visit, https://www.cordlifeindia.com/about-stem-cells
Sign in to follow this topic