Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Elective Cesarian or Induction? Lock Rss

Im just wanting to hear some ladies opinions on this. Brief history my Obstetrician has given me a choice of either an elective cesar or an early induction the main reason is because with my last baby i had a bad third degree tear as he was 9p 7 so a good size and a postpartum hemmorhage, so to avoid this again she has suggested either inducing at 38wks or a cesar im confused have no idea what to do. My question is what would you do in my situation. This is my third baby so im thinking third time lucky? Thanks in advance.

L.Moore

Neither...but that's me. LOL

If I had to choose between the two though I'd personally go induction first over a c-section any day of the week.

Usually tearing or not can be something as simple as the position you are in, baby flying out unexpectedly, or forceps/vacuum extraction etc. So knowing the WHYs can sometimes help avoid that happening again. I actually found giving birth to DS2 was heaps easier and he was 1lb 7ozs bigger than DS1 and his head was 3cm bigger.

Same as Hippie - preferably neither.
But if those are the choices then I would choose an induction over major abdominal surgery any day!!
I've been induced with both mine, and pretty much expect to be induced with this one too and it's not fun, but it's not that bad either..
Good luck - and make sure you get stuck into gently stretching your perineum!!

Well an induction would be more painfull innitually (i was induced) but a c-section would be alot more painfull after and has a long recovery where as with an induction you'ld be able to get up straight away. Theres also more risks in the long term with a c-section and problems that can arise if having anouther baby.
Personally after putting things into perspective i'ld preffer an induction instead of a c-section if I was in your possition but its your desisition at the end of the day what you do and no one can decide it for you.
I wish someone could decide, the obstetrician just scared me a little and said the chances of me tearing just as bad again was very high but a cesar scares the life out of me.

L.Moore

Get another opinion. Seriously, does she have some magic crystal ball that tells her what YOUR birth is going to be like before it has even happened? From what I have read about these kinds of tears they can't be predicted; so just like we can't say it won't happen again, equally your OB can't say it will.

There are heaps of things you can try to prevent from tearing again, and depending on WHY you tore last time things you can try and avoid to mitigate a repeat occurrence. This link might be an interesting read for you and if you google preventing vaginal tears in childbirth you'll probably come up with heaps more stuff. LOL One of the biggest things you can do to prevent tearing is your pelvic floor exercises. I did mine religiously both pregnancies and I had slight 1st degree tears but they didn't require stitching; DS1 was an hour of pushing, DS2 is down as 9 minutes but none of it 'active' (well I didn't feel like I was pushing all that much) and we actually didn't know his head was out till we looked down and there it was. LOL

Like I already said, if it were me I'd pick neither but if forced to pick one based on the risks involved I'd still pick induction over a c-section every time.

Hi, if this is your 3rd and the other two have come naturally if a little late, I'd be inclined not to worry too much about an induction - if you look at the stats (hospitals don't always make them available but they are supposed to, I'm not sure where you can get them from otherwise though) but most issues with inductions happen with first time labours/pregnancies. (I didn't know this until I was scared out of my wits about being induced with my 2nd).
If you have laboured before, and if you are even slightly dilated (very common to be 2 or 3cm to start with, with 2nd and more pregnancies) they can break your waters which can be enough to bring on labour "NATURALLY" (thats all I needed in the end) but make sure your dr is on your level with timings (make an appt prior to find out their timeline - even ask their reasons, because they are often a bit unreasonable - in that they may give you an hour before syntocinon 'due to infection risk' but you could push for a little more if you are confident)
I know heaps of people who've been induced with a drip and not even needed drugs so don't be too concerned, it may not be the best thing but then it may save you all the tearing and pain after.
Oh and I would avoid a caesar unless it was life or death for me or bubs (which is what they are supposed to be there for!!!)
Perhaps get a private midwife or doula if you aren't confident in your knowledge but want someone on your side in there (who knows when its too long and needs sore drugs etc)
Feel free to ask questions if I haven't made sense!!!

[img]

Posted by: angelbubs
I wish someone could decide, the obstetrician just scared me a little and said the chances of me tearing just as bad again was very high but a cesar scares the life out of me.

I think you need to ask yourself what are you more scared of:
a chance that you may tear with a chance you could be perfectly fine or going through a c-section and everything that comes with it?

Also have you tryed to do things to soften the skin down there to prevent a tear?
No with my last two pregnancies i could not reach down there and this time i have already told my husband if i can not reach then he just has to do it for me lol.
The only reason why i tore last time was because of his size and presentation, he had his fist up to his chin with arm outstretched if that makes sense im not sure of the propper name. Wow only a week ago i was convinced i was having a c-section but now after the info you all have given me i think i need to change my mind plus both my last 2 labours were all natural no drugs etc, so if i was to have a c-section im just not sure weather i could emotionally cope.
Also thanks for the link im going to check it out.

L.Moore

No with my last two pregnancies i could not reach down there and this time i have already told my husband if i can not reach then he just has to do it for me lol.
The only reason why i tore last time was because of his size and presentation, he had his fist up to his chin with arm outstretched if that makes sense im not sure of the propper name. Wow only a week ago i was convinced i was having a c-section but now after the info you all have given me i think i need to change my mind plus both my last 2 labours were all natural no drugs etc, so if i was to have a c-section im just not sure weather i could emotionally cope.

L.Moore

That tells me you could definitely do it!!! And maybe just keep thinking and talking to bubby about coming on a date 2.5wks early and that way what you are worried about may never come to pass!

I've had 2 totally drug free - my 2nd was induced though, and this time I am positively waiting for my placenta to move up (sort of) so I don't have to have a caesar - it is quite daunting isn't it, and I don't blame you for your concern - as I said I was reaaly worried about my induction but going in prepared is very helpful. (google Ina May Gaskin; she had some extremely alternative read: very natural, ideas that we used in labour to speed it up to reduce further interventions, like open mouth kissing and eye contact - I would have tried anything but those two worked magically) feel free to PM if you want more detailed info about that - it is a little TMI but happy to share if it helps!

[img]

Ohok I can't remember what you call that ethier, I have it in a book somewhere all the types of positions.
The thought of a c-section scares me too, I don't handle operations well and don't think I could handle being awake whilst its happening.
I have had an epidural and it was really good.
I think it is probably a little safer being induced then having a c-section and better long term and of course if you did end up needing a c-section whilest in labour they can give you one.
I have been induced and although it was full on and painfull (i'm not going to lie to you, this is why I had an epidural) I would much rather have anouther then have a c-section if I was given a choice.
Its a quick recovery too.
I'm sure your ob is monitoring bubs size and won't let him get to big for you to handle before inducing you, I don't think he would give that option if he felt it would endanger you in anyway.
good on you for telling your husband he can rub things down there to help, there are some products on the market that are meant to be really good.
Thank god things have advanced so much when it comes to pregnancys, labour ect and we don't have to go through what our great great grandmothers did.
Sign in to follow this topic