Huggies Forum

What are the essentials? Lock Rss

I thought the best people to answer this question would be those with the newborns! What have you found is 'essential' and what is 'good to have'?

I'm worried that I'll forget something and then have a big panic when I need it or simply never realise that there is a product to help with whatever it is! I also want to avoid going overboard and getting too much unnecessary stuff that I'll never use and will just have to store (like the musical mobile with remote that my sister somehow convinced me I "needed").

Mum to Caitlin & Owain

It's been a few months, but I'll see what I can remember.
-Somewhere to sleep (a bassinet is great, but a baby can go straight into a cot as they are generally swaddled when young anyway)
-A carseat if you have a car. Must be backward facing for the first six months
-A pram, look for one that is easy to lift, does from newborn, fits in your boot and is easy to steer. If there is any likelihood of having another child fairly close to the first one, get a pram you can add a toddler seat to. Also you will need a raincover and a shadecover.
-Clothing
-A couple of good cot blankets (these can be used in the bassinet as well). 3 sets of cot sheets.
-Bouncinette (keep in mind some babies don't like these, but they are great for most.
-Baby gym. Most say from nb to 18 months. Practically speaking they are from nb to rolling around (approx 6 months)
-At least 2 packs of newborn nappies, sometimes babies grow out of these b4 you need many more packs, so best to stock up on the next size up.
-Baby bath, or you may want to do what I did, bathed baby in the bath with me. Only problem with option 2 is that sometimes their little botty's explode in the bath. Yuk
-Baby wipes.
-Cloth nappies for putting over your shoulder when burping baby
-Changing pad/waterproof cloth.
-2 rattles
-front pack or sling. I never got the hang of the sling, but some mothers swear by them.

Hope this helps, I'll add things if I think of them. If you have anything you're not sure if you'll need ask on this post and I'll reply.

Rachelle, NZ, son George 10.12.02, Ian 15.06.04

Are you planning to breast or bottle feed? Cause if you plan to use the bottle I recommend you get yourself a relly good electric steam steriliser.They are a godsend!No smelly chemicals to sterilise bottles, YUCKY!!
I just recommend you get bonds jumpsuits, singlets, couple of cardigans and quite a few bunny rugs(You can never have too many, bubs can chuck up heaps!).When buying a carseat you want to get one that does from birth-4yrs, instead of getting the capsule then carseat, just save you a bit of money.Some cots you can get have a newborn position so they are higher in the cot, you have to move it down once they can sit up, save you buying a cradle which you might use only for 6 months.
If you have a big family you will find that you will recieve a lot of things as gifts.I hope I was some help.

Jordan 7/3/01 & Ashleigh 5/4/04

Thanks! I think I have most of the things that you've mentioned and sometimes more than one! My sister has three kids and went a bit mental handing things on to me so now I've got a house full of stuff. I was worried that there was something vital that I was missing but so far there is nothing that either of you have mentioned that I don't have. I guess I can stop worrying and just get on with the waiting!!!

Mum to Caitlin & Owain

A couple of newborn dummies, just in case
but don't push it if they dont want it

Sydney,twin boys 22/10/04+girl 26/03/02

Hi, im a new mum (10week bub) and found both a dummy and night light the essentials. Also have a few soft but light blankets for comfort. cheers

Jes, Alice Springs, 10wk baby

Sign in to follow this topic