Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Portacot as full time bed Rss

Has anyone used a portacot permanently instead of a proper cot?
I recently brought one for that purpose, but was wondering wether they are sturdy enough for that kind of thing?
I can see disadvantages of having a young bub in there (without the added bits & pieces some come with) but at least my toddler can't fall over & hurt himself on wooden bars! But having only had it for 2 days I'm not sure if there are other safety hazards associated with them?

Kristina

Kristina, Mum of James 3yrs & Matilda 14 months

Kristina

It says on the leaflet that comes with the portacot not for long term use as the matress is not very good for their backs for a long period of time.

Good Luck

Bec
Hi,

You can go to a place that sells foam, and have them make you up a mattress! Just give them the measurements. Then it just needs to be covered, not to technical sewing!

This is what my mother in law has done for her house!

Just an idea anyway, not sure if that would be recommended! My sister did it for 6 months with her son so i could have the cot!

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

i have used one since my 17months old was born, no problems yet. i was not aware of the mattress being a problem on their backs, i thought the firmer the better but i could be wrong. the portacot we use is great, we used the bassinet bit for a while to save our backs, just make sure the cot is not too close to a wall.
we also take ours every where we go, not just for sleeping but also to keep her safe at family and friends houses.

catherine mum to tasmin and Liam

Thanks for all your replies, I have decided to just see how he goes for a while. Honestly I reckon it would have to be better than the mattress we have in the other cot (I can feel the springs & imagine it's not the most comfortable thing), so it was either get a new mattress for the other or try the portacot. We got it secondhand so it doesn't have the papers that come with it.
Our other cot is pretty old too. And like one of you said there is the foam idea, although I realize you would have to becareful in what type of foam you choose (with sids & all that).

cheers guys....

Kristina, Mum of James 3yrs & Matilda 14 months

Sign in to follow this topic