Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

1 hour feeds Rss

I have a 7 week old baby who is taking up to an hour to feed. And even so she still doesn't manage to drink all her 120 mls of formula - at the most 100mls. Once I have started to feed her she falls asleep & refuses to awake. I have tried the suggestion of changing teats to a larger size - but she chokes and splutters the formula.

I am not sure what to do as she seems quite content, burps easily, wants to feed 4 hrly & only cries hysterically prior to wanting her feed. She has put on weight, but not a considerable amount.

Should I be worrying or do I continue trying to force the feed down my daughter?
If she is putting on weight and is content, I would not worry. If she is hard to keep awake try a cool washer on her face, changing her nappy.

Good Luck

Lee,QLD,18/12/02 baby girl 26/09/05 baby boy

Hi, I found I had the same problem with my first son (now 2yrs old) I agree with the previous reply that try to keep her awake by using the wet flannel on her face, I used it also on my sons feet (he HATED it). I also have been told that baby should be leaving approx 10 - 20mls in the bottle to let you know that they have had enough. If she was draining the bottle each time then I would think that she was still hungry. Hope this helps.

Karan, Queenstown, NZ, 2 Boys

hello again
I don't know if this will help you,but my daughter up until a month ago was feeding (quite the opposite to your baby) every hour and only for 7/8 minutes at each feed (breastfeeding).
I too was told by nurses etc that they should feed minimun of 15/20 min but she also used to fall asleep and couldn't be woken up no matter what I tried.
If she looks content and is putting on weight don't worry.
My daughter is 5 months and still only eats very little at a time but she is now 10 kgs.

mary.NSW 11 month baby

Thank-you to everyone for their advice. My daughter is now 9 weeks old and is 'just' starting to feed for the recommended 20 minutes! She has been started on Nan Ha which is a lot easier for her to digest. The problem was that she was severely constipated.

The change in formula has been a welcomed relief.
hi mary my son does the same thing I had so much milk that he would take in so much air when feeding but would be so tired after feeding for 5 mins and getting burped he didnt want anymore. At nught he feeds for longer. But still frustating getting mastitis all the time but I continued to breast feed and now at 11 weeks my son weighs 6 1/5 kilos.
Sign in to follow this topic