Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Dummies Rss

I have an 8 week old baby who is a challenge to settle I usually end up putting him on the coach with the tv going just so I can get things done. As I have 3 other children I can't spend too much time settling him down. Two of my other children were thumb suckers - which doesn't bother me I was hoping he would find his soon and settle better but he hasn't I havent used dummies before and don't really like the thought of older children walking around with them or which are the best ones to use etc I am tempted to buy one as I end up spending ages with him trying to get him to sleep! help!
I don't feel that there is anything wrong with dummies, they are much easier to get rid of than thumbs!! What i plan to do is leave the dummy in the bedroom, so that it is only used for sleeping and let Reece know that it is not to come out of his room, that way he will not be walking around with them when he is older.
Some ways i have heard of people getting rid of their childrens dummies are - leaving them out for santa so that they can get presents, throwing them out the window of a car (not too good for the environment) and telling their child its gone forever, telling them that daddy doesn't like dummies anymore so they can't have one around him & eventually they don't want it at all.
I know of children that have sucked their thumbs into their teens and have buck teeth because of this, so as i said earlier it is much easier to get rid of a dummy than a thumb.

Mother of Reece - 24/01/03

My daughter (2y.o) still has her dummy but only when she sleeps as we are weaning her off it and my son (3 mth) doesn't really like his dummy much and never really has. We brought both our children good dummies Madison has the Nuk brand in the silicone and Jaxson has the Tommee Tippee brand that the ring glows in the dark, we brought Jaxson a different shape dummy because we knew Madison would'nt like it or want it when we finally take hers away for good. I recommend buying a good one as they last much longer, are better made and rarely deflate. Madison has had 3 dummies, one we lost while shopping and the other two she chooses from when she sleeps, they are the same brand one is the newborn teat the other is the one for her age but she likes both. There is an old wives tale about children who suck there thumbs can end up with buck teeth than again the same is said about the wonderful dummy at any rate I want both of my kids to be dummy free by the time they are 2.5 y.o.
My daughter is nearly 4 months old and i will only use the nuk dummies.I was wondering do u have any ideas on teething as i dont wish to use bonjela
I found teething gel really difficult to apply. My daughter got her 2 bottom teeth at 5 months. I used a Nuk teething ring, just put it in the fridge for a while (don't freeze it), and that worked really well. Also when she turned 6 months Rusks worked really well too.
Hope this helps!
Re: Teething you can use teething powder (Weleda have one on the market) or crushed ice wrapped in gauze.I would often gently rub my childrens gums with gauze while bathing them as the bath can help relax them.
I would recommend using the nuk brand of dummies. I found both the avent & tommee tippie brands caused colic in my daughter. The nuk brand has a special anti-colic teat, you may pay a little more - but in the long run it is worth it.
Hi how are you becca .. my big brother little one is two and she still got a dummies one day she will get rid of it..do know how they can get rid of it..

Johanne_Chambers@yahoo.com.au plainland qld

my daughter, now 4 months, suffered with colic from 4 weeks until she was 9 weeks. The only thing i found to settle her was a dummy! i never liked the idea of using one, but would much rather that than a screaming baby!!! The sucking seemed to calm her. She still has it but i started giving it to her less and less once the colic eased, and now she only has it at sleep time. I found the after buying different brands and sizes the only one shell take is the cheapest, Happy Baby brand. At about $1.50.

celeste,wa,baby Ella

I agree with Celeste, with little babies if they are fed and clean a dummy can make a very contented baby.

My 2yo askes for her dummy, indicating she wants to go to bed! She is never allowed to have it otherwise!

There are so many around now, but like celeste my daughter only ever liked the $1.50 HAPPY BABY dummies!

goodluck and let us know how your going,
Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

many people may not agree but i absoluely loved the dummy in our early days. my son wanted to suck something and i would much rather a dummy than a thumb. the older he gets (8months)the less he wants it. the best ones are happy baby dummies they have the best shape and are the cheapest. a dummy certainly saved my sanity

Kelly,QLD, boy 23.01.03 and girl 08.04.05

Hi everyone,
I didn't like dummies either but as my little girl was early I was recommended to get one to help her learn to suck for food. It soon became my best friend and I found after spending up to $10- per dummy that her favourite was the happy baby one (($1-50 each). When she started teething she refused to have her dummy any more and has never looked back (although I will admit to trying to force it in her mouth a few months ago after a whole hour of crying - didn't work). I think if used only when your baby requires it - wheres the harm.

Fiona, NSW

Sign in to follow this topic