Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Windy babies Rss

I just thought this may help some new parents. After a dream pregnancy and birth, I was shocked to recieve a screaming crying baby. My first few days of motherhood, consisted of trying to calm a very upset baby. He just cryed all night, and day in desperation the midwife would take him so I could get some sleep. Once we returned home, the crying continued, eventually we came to the conclusion he had wind. We eventually had a Childhealth nurse visit us, and she gave us some great advise, like bathing them at the worst time of the crying to calm them down, belly massages (my husband is great at that), tight wrapping, and expressing the first 10mls of breast milk off (it conatins high amounts of sugar that upsets their bellies) And she also gave me a huge list of foods that could set him 'off' (i am breastfeeding). I found the best thing to do was to introduce one new food into my diet a day. For example as I am a vegetarian, I ate alot of beans and legumes, on the days I ate beans he would get upset, also onion and choclolate. But I can eat as much garlic as I want! Basically just keep note of any foods you eat that are different And eat them in moderation! I hope this helps, someone a little bit, at the time i was willing to stand on my head if it would help him!!

Em Tmba - mum to Liam 31/7/03 & Callum 7/5/05

Hi,

I agree with everything in this last post! Sometimes i feel like an expert on wind as both my children had heaps of problems! If they didn't get wind, i've always said they would be perfect babies!

One thing i wanted to add is using INFANTS FRIEND and INFACOL. Infants friend seems to work better in young babies, up to 4mths, and infacol in older babies. The infants friend relaxes their bowel muscles and infacol helps to join up small bubbles in their tummys to a large burp!

The other thing i want to add, if mothers or fathers are out there pulling their hair out with frustration, things seem to get better from 4mths! Babies seem to start to learn how to do things a bit more for themselves like bringing up wind!

Well my son is now 15wks and i'm preying my advice is right :~
Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

hi my son is now 11weeks and had lots of wind. I tried weleda colic powder which was great. Im now using infocol and a remedy I got made up at a heaith food place which contains herbs etc. Also having peppmermint tea after your food can help aswell.
Yes I know how you feel, Georgia (now 14weeks)had a period from 5pm to 9pm where she was so unsettled. It is very upsetting when you can not stop their pain.

I tried infacol and all it did was make little Georgia throw up projectile style. Later I found out Infacol is the only colic treatment on the market that is not made from natural ingredients!

Anyway I went back to the basics and looked at my diet ( I breast feed). I love milk and like to drink it like it is going out of fashion! I have a feeling that was what was causing the problem, I noticed a day after replacing my milk intake with water, Georgia was more relaxed. It is amazing what a good diet can do. Hope this helps, I should have tried this first instead of turning to other treatments.....
Hi,
My baby suffers from bad wind as well and i have just bought infants friend which seems to help although i am unsure of how often i should give it to her? Are you supposed to give it to them after every feed? My daughter eats every 2 -3 hours so i am unsure of how often to use it?

Mummy to Talana Michelle Kimberley (13/12/2003)

Hi,

They say you can use it at each feed and in between if you need to! I never used that much, i started giving it to him at each feed, then weaned him down to just in the evening! If it is making an improvement, you will notice if you need to give him more. Try every second feed, hopefully that might be enough, if not use it at each feed for a week and try again!

Sorry if i don't make any sense,
Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Thankyou for your advice.

I've given the Infants Friend to Talana in the middle of every feed so far and she (almost) slept through the night last night!

It was amazing! She is more relaxed and happier!

Mummy to Talana Michelle Kimberley (13/12/2003)

I have found Brauers Colic Relief to be good for wind. I usually only need give it to my baby once a day in the middle of the day before a feed. It usually settles him down. I haven't tried Infant's Friend, but I would like to give it a go. Infacol worked the first few times, but usually makes him sick later so I'm not using it anymore, esp. if it hasn't got natural ingredients.

SA, 2 boys

I agree with you Tweetybird that Brauers Colic Relief is great. I have two children youngest being 10 weeks and I found it to work better than the others. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this to anyone.

Nae, Qld, SAHM with DD 7yrs, DS 5yrs & DD 22mths

Sign in to follow this topic