Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

need motherly advise Rss

My baby girl is only 11 days old but gee,it feels like a month since we have been home.(a week ago) !!!
she is so unsettled.during the day she just wants to breastfeed all the time.It's very hard as I have a 17 month old as well.I feel ilke I never do anything with him. Anyway, she lost over 500g in hospital and has only put on about 60g since we got home.I have been told that my milk supply is not enough for her.I don't know.I never feel overly full or tight in the breasts.I never leak. well the child health nurse suggested I take this medication called 'Motilium'.
I have been on it for 4 days and have had headaches and started bleeding heavier than before.don't know if it's from this medication or not??? I since got some info on the drug and I was not happy with it and for alot of reasons my hubby and I think it would be best to stop taking it.Anyone else heard of this or taking it themselves??? We have been giving her a night bottle of formula to try and fill her up ,she loves it,although she only takes about 70mls but she sleeps for a few hours after. I know that the first weeks are hard and things can only get better.I think I have carried on enough.I would love to hear from anyone.I am feeling a bit down and lonely. ???
Hi Maryanne,
Congrats on your baby girl. Don't stress. My son is 11 weeks old and I breast feed and give formula for every feed. My milk supply was not enough either but he is thriving with the combination. Have you heard of the breast feeding association in Carlton, they are fantastic in providing suggestions over the phone or through a visit. I too heard about motilium but was told you would need to express as well, as it stimulates the breast, a glass of beer with the meal also helps with production. My suggestion,go natural...it's not worth the stress. The reason your baby wants to breast feed all the time, perhaps is because of your supply. Try both combinations or just persevere with the breast.
With our son we started with 60ml of formula and now he takes 110ml plus breast.
I too felt so down it's only natural. Good luck!
Hello Tommygirl
Don't worry about how much formula bub is taking at the moment. The bubs stomach has to get used to receiving the larger amount of food and this can take awhile. In notime at all she will be having that much that you will be amazed. It's a shame that you don't have a good supply of milk (I could have feed triplets with my second but she couldn't keep my milk down- changed to formula at 2 wks). She has aready got the most important part now and formula feed bubs strive beautifully. Don't blame yourself or get upset if you have to make the change. She will be a fabulous little girl as she grows and no one will be able to tell she wasn't breastfed for the first years of her life. Can you tell in the kids you see now?
Try not to panic. Relax and let nature take it's course.
Andrae

Andrae,WA - Liam, Siobhan and Erin

Maryanne,

If you are not comfortable with the medication then don't take it, would be my advice.

I also suffered from insufficient milk supply with my first baby (now 3 1/2) and battled for 13 weeks with constant breast feeding and the associated stress. After he began to consistantly lose weight, I put him on formula. What a relief that was, particularly as my partner could help more as he was able to also feed Jasper.

Best of luck.

Therese

Therese, BRISBANE, 3yr old boy 6 wk girl

Hi Maryanne,

My boy also wanted to feed all the time when I first brought him home. We had several midwives visit us the week after we came home and they all had something different to say (except - "keep up the good work you are feeding well). I knew something was not right as my nipples we cracked and bleeding all the time. I was also topping him up with formula.One midwife finally discovered that Lachlan was not attaching properly and from that day forth I decided to put him on formula 100% as I had gone through so much stress thinking what was wrong with me.
Lachlan is now 8 weeks old and is thriving on the formula and is a very healthy little boy.

I would stop the medication if it is giving you headaches and causing heavier bleeding. You have to remember that your body still has not recovered from the birth yet and will take sometime to heal. It took me 6 weeks until I felt right again.

Just remember there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Good luck.

Mandi, The Oaks NSW, Bub born 20/11/03

Hi Maryanne,

I would definitely stop taking that medication!

My milk supply wasn't real good with my daughter either and after having troubles trying to breastfed my first I just stopped it and mainly formula fed her! I would have loved to breastfeed but it wasn't possible...the main thing is that she was well-fed, happy, healthy and loved!

If you ever want to chat my email is: j_n_blair97@bigpond.com

Mum(29) - DS 7yr, DD 4yr & DD 2yr

hi all.thanx for all advise.I did stop the medication.I was too suss about it so I knew I shouldnt take it any longer.didnt help me anyway.so with much regret I put millie on formula at 3 weeks old.she actually never got back to her birth weight untill she was just over 4 weeks old.other than having terrible reflux she is doing well and 3 months down the track we are finally settling in. maryanne.
Sign in to follow this topic