Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Sterilising Rss

Hi there,

I am going to be returning to part time work in a few weeks, and hope to be able to express for his daytime feeds.

Can anyone help me with sterilising info?

I have been told that boiling equipment (pump, bottles, teats, dummies) in water for five minutes is an alternative to chemical sterilising tablets or microwave sterilisers? In the chemist, I have seen the disposable bottle bags - has anyone had experience with these (positive or negative)? Also I have seen reusuable plastic bag microwave sterilsers ... again, has anyone had any experiences (+ve or -ve) with these?

Thanks in anticipation of any help,
Kerry, mum of 7wk old beautiful boy

Kerry, WA, Son born Aug '03, Daughter born Feb '05

If you have a dishwasher, this works fine as the water gets to temps that are hot enough to sterilise. If not, u could try putting the bottles in boiling water. Put them in cold water and then heat it. Once the water is boiling, leave the bottle etc in for 5 minutes (NOTE!! Dont burn urself like i did!! lol).

Hope this helps
Jaime
Hi Kerry,

I personally think those methods are expensive or too time consuming! I have a microwave steam sterilizer, which i have used now for both children!
You just add a measured amount of tap water, the cleaned bottles etc. and place in microwave for 8mins. I have a Bid W one that cost less than $20, i think! Each to there own, but this is what i find most practical!

Goodluck, I'm in exackly the same position! smile
Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

I have just been using the Milton Method with my baby's bottles because that's what my Mum used and she recommended it, although, i do worry about using chemicals, so i always rinse them with boiling hot water after they come out of the Milton.
Hi there,
Well, it's the end of the year, we survived the term, I worked three days a week, and I am still breastfeeding! Quite proud of myself!! (sorry, little big-headed here!!)
We ended up buying a microwave steriliser .... best $20 I ever spent! Began with a Pur breast pump, but mid-way thru the term, melted part of it in the microwave steriliser, and bought a secondhand Avent Pump ..... best $45 I ever spent!!
Mostly I was able to express enough milk for my baby boy to have at least three feeds while I was at work. Only a couple of weeks he had some formula (stick-packs @ $4.50 for half-dozen at the chemist) on a Friday as I was unable to express sufficient milk for him.
I used the bottle bags to freeze the milk in, they are a great product, and used wire ties (from the plastic freezer bags ... never used them for the freezer bags anyway!) to seal them.
Our little boy is now 4.5 months old, and we have started him on some solids. He had gone back to 2 hour feeds, watching us eat and grabbing at everything we try to eat. So far, so good, he's not real keen on the carrot or potato, but we're persevering!!
Good luck to everyone else, hope you haad a great christmas, and best wishes for a fantastic new year with your beautiful bubs.

Kerry, WA, Son born Aug '03, Daughter born Feb '05

i found the microwave striliser good but have also used boiling the bottles & milton

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Sign in to follow this topic