Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

thickened formula Rss

Hi. Any experience with thickened formulas? I have an 8 week old baby who has silent reflux. She is on Zantac and thickened formula. I tried her on Karicare AR firstly, but then switched to S26 (she had been having S26 gold previously). She appears to be unsettled since starting the S26 AR and I was wondering if anyone had experimented with the different thickened formulas.

Janette, NSW

Hi Jenb,
I'm starting to think there must be a connection between reflux and chronic colic. It seems the more people I talk to about reflux, the more I hear about being unsettled as well. You can buy some products over the counter for colic. We used to use the Donnalix and that was great. Infant's Friend did nothing. We have just moved on to Infacol. I think your baby needs to be 6 months or more for that one. You can try turning on the vacuum cleaner near the cot. It works a treat. Maybe the formula is creating a little etxra wind or pain in the belly. It probably interferes with our baby as well. But considering all the things our poor little mite went through with starving him (I didn't know my supply wasn't enough at the time), moving house, me getting sick, him getting sick, and the list goes on. You could also try a chiropractor. We have just started taking our little boy to see one and you can already see the difference. For the first time in a month or more, he has gone to sleep by himself in his cot not once, but several times and a couple of time a day. Definitely improving.
See how you go. I haven't heard of any other formulas to try. And it was a definite improvement as far as the reflux was concerned.
Good luck.
Ange
Hi Jenb,
Many of my mother's group have used S26 and found that it caused their babies to become constipated so that may be another reason your little one is having more pain. I use Karicare AR with my silent reflux baby (10 wks old) and have yet to start her on Zantac. My neice also had trouble with vomitting and my brother used the Karicare thickener in her Heinz formula. The Karicare thickener comes in a small tin and you just add a couple of scoops to your normal formula to thicken it up. A paediatrician at a day stay I went to suggested we try a soy formula too.
I hope this helps,
Peta

Peta, NSW, mum of 2 gorgeous girls

Thanks. I have used the Karicare thickener when we first started thickening up her feeds. I find it more convenient to just buy it already thickened. We are also in the process of trying to organise a residential stay for Emma and I. I am having great trouble trying to convince the doctors of Emma's problems. If only they could see her for 24 hours!!
Janette

Janette, NSW

Hi Janette,
Keep going until you find someone to listen to your concerns about Emma. If you're not happy, get a second opinion. It's really important to get to the bottom of any problem, no matter how big or small. I was always made to feel I was overly concerned with my eldest daughter Camryn until I insisted the Dr check her hearing and we found out her glue ear was so bad that she was nearly deaf! All the signs pointed to it, and as a teacher I've taught too many children who have missed out on so much due to this condition, so I kept going until the problem was fixed. I wish you the best of luck. Please write to tell us how you are going and if you've had any success.
Peta

Peta, NSW, mum of 2 gorgeous girls

I have twins that are nearly 5 and a 17 week old and I used formula thickner in the S26 formula in all of them and found that were much happier babies and they seem to bring up there wind alot better keep at it as i found it worked. As all of my children started sleeping through the night since about 10 weeks due to the thickend formula. I found it was the best thing ever but what suits some may not suit others. The Karicare thickener has added vitamins in it as well so its not unhealthy for them. Keep trying you'll get there.
Jenb,

My little one is now 16mths and she had colic and reflux. She was on losec from about 6weeks and I used S26 AR refulx formula. I found that I had to use a fast flowing teat (as is suggested) and had no problems once the medication and the formula were used in conjunction. I had her on the formula up until 12mths and the medication up until about 2months ago.

I also found Brauers Colic Relief to be great with colic but all babies are different.

Try to remember that reflux can be managed if treated right.

Best of luck!

Nae, Qld, SAHM with DD 7yrs, DS 5yrs & DD 22mths

I too have a baby (4 weeks old) who suffers reflux. I have been feeding her on Karicare and was reluctant to switch to another formula becuase I was pleased with Karicare.
Luckily I found a Karicarebrand of formula yhickener and I think it is great.
Emily still gets Karicare but I just add the Karicare brand thickener.
Sign in to follow this topic