Huggies Forum

honey on his dummy Lock Rss

Hi

My son is totally reliant on his dummy and falls asleep sucking on it. Sometimes just when he is about to nod off the dummy might fall out of his mouth and he will start crying waking himself out of his sleep. My mother said that she would put a little honey on the dummy when putting us to sleep and that solved the problem. Does anyone do this? Does it cause any health problems?

Mum to Jonathan born Oct 2004

putting honey on dummies was the done thing for many babies, when we were being raised, but is a really bad idea as it can cause tooth decay, so you should really avoid it,

Cheers
Heléna

Liam Evan, 2

Hi there,

One of my baby books 'What to expect the first year' says that in the first year honey can cause health problems as it may contain the spores of 'Clostridium botulinum' which is harmless to adults but can cause botulism in infants. (constipation, weakened sucking and poor appetite - can lead to pneumonia & dehydration). It says that it is more of a problem in the US but some cases have appeared in Aust. Some doctors ok honey at 8mths others at 12mths. Hope this helps smile

Linda - mum to Riley 13.04.04 (#2 Due 29.12.05)

hi,
my sister in law put honey on my nephews dummy and his teeth came through rotton. the poor little thing had his 4 front teeth and 3 others pulled out when he was 3 and had no teeth till they grew at 7 or 8. the dentist said that honey would have been the cause.

The Deeks 07/08/02, Googie 23/11/04

Hi Katy

My cousin had the same problem as you. Her little girl was so reliant on her dummy, but would wake up 9 or 10 times in the night when the dummy fell out. Unfortunately the only thing she could do was completely take the dummy away. They had a couple of sleepless nights, but now after a week or so, their little girl can fall asleep by herslef and is sleeping 10 hours straight.....so the only advice i can give you is take away the dummy
some doctors actually recommend that no baby under 2 be given honey as its not pasturised. my husband is from india, and for first food they give a very small amount of honey (i forgot why) but they wouldnt let us do it with my recent baby and the nurse told me that.
it is not recommend to give honey to a child under 12 months as the risk of botulism? is high.

I agree with above posters, it is no longer recommended to give any honey to infants due to risk of botulism and tooth decay.
i agree with previous posters honey is not recommended for the 2 reasons already stated!

the reason people put honey on dummys is to get them to take to it in the first place. you will still have to put the dummy back in when it falls out...it will just be sticky.
Hi

Instead of honey try using glycerine. It is pretty much the same as honey, sweet tasting however without the sugar. You can buy it from chemists and supermarkets. Neighbourhood Centre Nurses tell you not to use it as it apparently decays teeth, but as it does not contain sugar I don't see how it can. Both my mum and my partner's mum used it on all of us and none of us out of 8 have ever had any problems with our teeth. We use glycerine on our 17 month old son since he was first born and now with our 4 month old daughter. We couldn't live without using it.

My son is now 17 months and it is not very often now he uses a dummy. It is only when he goes to bed or when he is very tired that he wants it.
No, putting anything on baby's dummies is very silly imho eps honey. Dummies are made to soothe babies and if they were supposed to have anything on them it would have been invented by now. Honey is quite dangerous to give to babies under age 2. Trust me, he does not need ANYTHING on his dummy.

Cassie, mum to Hayley and Skye

Sign in to follow this topic