Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

changing routine Rss

My daughter is almost 5 months old and up until the last week, had slept every night 8pm till 8am. Now shes decided to wants to be tucked in bed by 7pm and wide awake at 4.30am! I have tried keeping her up later, only for her to scream and scream till i finally gave in at 7.45pm, but she still woke at 4.30am. She sleeps well during the day. Does anyone have any other suggestions for changing her sleep habits back to 8-8?? It would be much appreciated for a very tired mum and bub!

celeste,wa,baby Ella

Hi Celeste,
I'm not sure of your feeding routine, but when my son started sleeping through at 6 weeks, he would sometimes sleep past the 9 or 10 o'clock feed and I was so worried he would wake up during the night, I made noises and bumped the cradle, etc so he would wake up and then I would give him his last feed. Sometimes it may have only been a top up but it got him all the way through until 8 or 9 in the morning. Now it is a pretty solid routine. He just wakes up for the last feed and then sleeps through. 12 hours is a long time for them to sleep but 10 is really good. Just enough time for me to sleep too. We also found that keeping him awake for a couple of hours between the 5 or 6 o'clock feed and the 9 or 10 o'clock feed helped him settle down quickly after that last bottle and he wasn't wide awake and wanting to play. He will just put himself to sleep when he is ready, but quicker rather than later.

Maybe another idea could be to introduce some solids around dinner time and the extra solids in her belly will help her to sleep longer too. She won't get hungry quite so quickly.

Anyway, good luck. It worked for us. It worked a charm actually and very quickly and easy one to do. No pain involved in this routine.

Ange.
my son started waking earlier and earlier as the weather started to warm up and the sun come up earlier. he always woke at 6:30 then it was 6 then 5:30 then about 5 so we hung a heavy sheet over the window to make sure no light gets in and we got him back to about 6:15. probably not relevant to you but just an idea

Kelly,QLD, boy 23.01.03 and girl 08.04.05

Sign in to follow this topic