Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. No longer likes his bottle

No longer likes his bottle Rss

Hi,

I have a 2 month old son who is breatfed, but I express milk and give a bottle to when I am out and about, and when he is being babysat by his grandparents. Recently, he will only take about 80mls of the milk (drinks around 150mls) and refuses the rest and will not settle until he gets the rest of the milk being breastfed. Any suggestions to combat this? I am going back to work in a few weeks and he will need to be able to take his bottle!!!

Thanks,
Anxious mum
At 5 months my daughter used to scream at the sight of a bottle, and refuse to take any of it. It took a stay in a mothercraft hospital and refusing to give her a breast feed to get her to take it. She eventually got hungry enough to take it. This was done under the supervision of mothercraft nurses to ensure she did not get dehydrated. I was told that it is not that uncommon for a breastfed baby to refuse a bottle (even if they had previously taken it with no problems). Maybe you could find a daystay or mothercraft hospital which could help you with this. Once my daughter got used to the bottle she was fine.

Good luck.

mum to 2 girls

Are you the one giving him the bottle, or is someone else doing it? I have heard that breastfed babies often won't take a bottle from mummy, because they can smell you and expect breast from you. However, if someone else is offering the bottle, they don't expect breast, and will take it more willingly. Don't worry about going back to work, he'll soon work out that if he's hungry and wants a feed, he's going to have to take that bottle!

Ellie, NSW, DD 3 yrs & TTC # 2

Thanks heaps for your input. Come to think of it, it was actually me trying to give the bottle to him when he started to refuse it. I will get my husband to do it again next time and see what happens.
My husband gave him his bottle of ebm last night and with me out of sight was happy enough to gulp it down... thanks for your help!!
No child will starve themself so just be stubborn and hang in there they will cry and scream and when they do that it is erally hard but you need to put your foot down about it or they will not learn that you cant feed them and the boottle can.
Thanks all for your responses

Funny little things arn't they? I had a bottle of ebm and attempted to give it to him today and sure enough, had about 80mls again then wriggled around not wanting any more... retried a few times then gave in and breast fed him. Isn't it amazing how they will feed from a bottle from someone else but not their mum? Amazing that they learn that a 8 weeks!
Sign in to follow this topic