Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Periods Rss

You will be able to reply to this one....

I have already got my periods back my bub was born 18/12/02 (not even four months old). Has anybody else got these back early?? I am fully breastfeeding, I though I would not get them back until a little later.

Lee,QLD,18/12/02 baby girl 26/09/05 baby boy

Hi Lee,

I got my 1st period 28 days after the usual 4-6 week bleed after birth with all 3 of my children (so when my babies were about 8-10 weeks old).

With my 1st i was quite shocked (and felt very ripped off), because i was also under the impression that you don't get them while breastfeeding.

Are you using some type of contraceptive. If you aren't and you don't plan on falling pregnant again just yet you might want to take a visit to your dr for some advise on what you can and can't use while breastfeeding - a lot of woman fall pregnant at this point (and some before they even get their 1st period, because they don't realise you can fall pregnant while breastfeeding and before your periods start again).

You may have this period, and now not get another one for a few months, everyone is different.

Mel, mum of Joshua 8, Maddison 5, Hailey 5 mths

Hi Mel

Thanks for that. Since I have got them back I have felt a little bit off colour and bad headaces. I hope my body is not lacking anything. I have been well ever since I had my daughter.

Bub is due for her injection in the next couple of weeks I might see what the doctor says...

I'm like you I am a bit shocked and feel ripped off. I surpose the positive side is that at least my body must by ovulating. My daughters a miracle as I was not surpose to fall pregant....(after several ops to remove cysts and my tubes were blocked) never believe doctors. So maybe I should feel greatfull.

Thanks again.

Lee,QLD,18/12/02 baby girl 26/09/05 baby boy

Hi Lee,

sorry i haven't written anything sooner, i've been really busy (8 y.o.just diagnosed with add and dyslexia, and my 5 y.o. already has adhd).

It's amazing how much i find ihave in common with other mums on this site, i also had problems with cysts and also had endometriosis when i was younger. i was also told i wouldn't be able to have children, and 4 years later i had my son. when i was pregnant with my 2nd they found i had 3rd stage cervical changes (cin III), and had to have a cone biopsy when she was 6 weeks old, that was probably the scariest thing i've been through, and i found out when during the routine pap test they take at the beginning of the pregnancy, so i spent the whole pregnancy worrying that by the time i had the baby i would have full blown cancer.

The whole fertility thing is a mystery. After having her tubes reversed to have more children my mum had difficulties falling due to blocked and damaged tubes from the surgery, after a couple of procedures to clear her tubes, several attempts at ivf they gave up. she fell pregnant less than 6 months later. when they decided to have another, they had problems again, they used some type of hormone tablet to help her fall pregnant for this one, and for the next one they had. They decided not to have any more kids and she got her tubes clamped again, 3 months later she was pregnant again (this one did not survive to term though as by this time my mums uterus and other parts were to weak to carry it). If your wondering she has 7 children all up, 4 to my father (me being the eldest), and then 3 to her 2nd hubby who didn't have any children when they married.

As for the period matter, i am having difficulties with mine again because of the endometriosis, so i have started on a new pill called yasmin - they claim it improves symptoms like bloating, swelling or weight gain related to fluid retention, improvement in acne (not that i have that problem) and improve painful periods. it alters the lining of the womb as well meaning lighter periods, and an improvement in endometrial problems.

i'll let you know how it is after the 1st month (just started yesterday), in case your interested. Only problem with this pill is you can't take it while you are breastfeeding.

Mel, mum of Joshua 8, Maddison 5, Hailey 5 mths

Hi, I got my period 4 weeks after my daughter was born. I rushed to the doctor thinking there was a prblem. Maybe the afterbirth hadn't come away properly. But all was well. Just try to lay down as much as you can that helped my discomfort.
With my first baby I had no periods at all when I was breastfeeding, so you can imagine my shock when the week after the afterbirth bleed i started again. This continued for another week and then stopped and I was told it was normal. Since then I have had another period, which I am having now and it has continued for two weeks non-stop and really heavy. As far as I know I have CIN(II), but my doctor thinks it might have progressed a lot further during my pregnancy so I am now having to wait until my 9 week old is 3 months to go have all the right tests. I have had 6 weeks out of 9 of bleeding. It has been a real shock to my system. I am faint all the time and very pale. My breast milk has also weakened a lot so I am feeding a lot more than I did when my daughter was first born and a lot more than I did with my first girl.
Periods after birth are really scary....especially when they are that close together. But as mentioned before everyone is different, but I will always reccomend having a papsmear if you are concerned, just to be on the safe side.

Chelsea, SA, 9 week old and 3 year old girls

I got my every mouth From when i had him I had him on the 30/nov 2002 thats was a saturday and home on the monday and got home from the hospital had 2weeks break than got them back the same day that i had them before i fell pregnant.

Johanne_Chambers@yahoo.com.au plainland qld

I was surprised when I got mine yesterday two months after Emma was born. I'm breastfeeding and didn't think I'd get them back until after I stoped breast feeding. How wrong I was! Anyways if anyone want to get in touch and start emailing etc my email is jessica21_nz@yahoo.co.nz

Emma 31/7/03, Daniel 11/1/06

I got my period after 8 weeks. My baby is exclusively on breastmilk, although I express into a bottle once a day (so if I want to go out for a morning/night/etc, she's already used to taking a bottle and her dad can feed her). I was told by medical staff that everyone is different and periods can start again just 4 weeks after birth. However, my mum never got hers until she weaned so I still didn't expect to get mine for at least six months. Maybe I was just hopeful, now I feel a bit disappointed! lol

When my brother was 8 months old, he went into intensive care for a time and Mum expressed for him during that time. She got her period back but when he got out of hospital, she continued breastfeeding him regularly (without expressing) and her period stopped until she weaned him. I don't know if this related directly to the breastfeeding patterns or if her period just started irregular for a while.

I have now been told that the hormone released when feeding your baby is not released when expressing, so mums who express are likely to get their periods back early. Does anyone know if this is true or if it is just an old wives' tale?
Sign in to follow this topic