Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. After the Birth
  5. Periods & breastfeeding

Periods & breastfeeding Rss

I just got my period after nine and a half weeks after having my daughter. I am fully breastfeeding and feel very disappointed to have them back already. My gran told me when you get your period back that your milk supply drys up. Does any one know if there is any truth to that or is it a old wifes tale. I am intending on breastfeeding my little one for the year. Does my period affect my milk supply??
Hi,
I got my period back with avengeance after about 4 months. I too was fully breast-feeding. I am not sure if there is truth in what your gran says, however, my milk supply became inadequate at some stage between 4 months & 6 months. Although I continued fully breast-feeding my baby, she weighed less at 6 months than at 4 months & so I had to put her on formula. I am unsure if my period returned because I wasn't making enough milk or if I stopped producing enough milk because my period returned. My M&CH nurse was concerned that I may be pregnant again as she said it is unusual to stop producing enough milk when you are fully breast-feeding. It seems however that my mum & my grandmother had similar problems of thier milk drying up after 4 or 5 months.

As long as your baby continues to gain weight & reach her goals than you shouldn't need to worry. If concerned I would suggest discussing it with your M&CH nurse.

Best wishes,
anniesmum
hey ajs
iam brest feeding (well expressing) and i had my daughter 5 1/2 weeks ago and this week i got my period back, i was shocked as u i wasnt expecting them, everyone is different i guess ( so my hubby keeps telling me) my milk did dropp off slowly but that was 3 weeks ago and i was given tablets for them and now im fine...
kaz_april

karen,NSW, mummy to Caitlin Born 14 weeks early

Hi,
I had my baby last week, so i haven't had time to start my period, but apparentley (my doc told me) that you can get your period straight away although it could take a little longer to start ovulating again, although everyone is different. A girl i work with, her sister fell pregnant while her baby was only 6 weeks old! She now has three children under 3!

Mummy to Talana Michelle Kimberley (13/12/2003)

I bottle fed my son frrom about 3 weeks old and only got my period when he was 6 months old but I breastfed my daughter till she was 3 months and got my period when she was 9 weeks old! I think your period will return when it's ready, sometimes earlier than we'd like! As for the period effecting your breastfeeding? I can't see why it would effect the level of milk you have!

Mum(29) - DS 7yr, DD 4yr & DD 2yr

hi all
i have been told that when u get ur period that the flavor of breastmilk can go more salty in taste and when ur baby tries to feed they squirm around as though they havent had enough but it may be that its a new taste for them and they have to get used to it. also its better to be relaxed when you breastfeed to get a good let down , so tell me ladies ..............how many of you can relax with period pain?? lol i know i get really stressed

the more you think u r drying up... the more you will...... its all power of the mind...smile

DD 13/11/03 -DD 11.11.05 - DS 17.4.08

Hi !

I am having same difficulty. I am mother of twins 3 months old and i got my periods. my milk dried dramatically and i am trying hard to get my milk supply going. Which tablet dr suggest you? or any thing else i can do to get my milk supply going? Please help!
Sign in to follow this topic