Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. After the Birth
  5. Meals to freeze in preparation for bubs to arrive

Meals to freeze in preparation for bubs to arrive Lock Rss

Hi,

I'm 38 weeks pregnant and am looking for some great ideas/recipes to make now that I can freeze to make things easier when bubs arrives and time is limited. Also I am keen to know what you store meals in, in the freezer and that you make them in? I bought some of those tin foil pans, but not completely sure if you can freeze them. So what do people freeze thier lasagnes, quiches, soups, stir fris etc etc in? Also when it comes to eating them do you just whip them in the oven to heat through?
Thanks any ideas on record, freezer storage ideas as above etc, appreciated.

Thanks smile
Not long to go now! I made a lasagne on Monday (lined the dish with baking paper to make it easier to lift out). Left it in the fridge overnight to help 'set' before cutting it into squares the next day. Then just froze it in a Tupperware container, today I'll put them in a big snap lock bag so I get the container back and have more freezer room!
Quite often (even now) we have jacket potatoes for tea as once they're wrapped in tin foil in the oven it doesn't matter if they're in there for 2-3 hours, I buy the really big ones and do 2-3 dinners worth at the same time. By the time you add cheese and sour cream it's a meal in itself!
I freeze my meals in snap lock bags too.
I freeze bolognese, nachos, stews this way. To defrost I run hot water over the out side of the bag to loosen it. Then I defrost in the microwave before heating in a pan.
If I'm onto it I will take it out of the freezer and defrost in the fridge or on the bench - depending on time.
Soup my Mum freezes in ice cream containers. Once frozen she pops it out of the containers and puts into snap lock bags. She defrosts by gently heating through.

Other ideas to freeze is pizza, make up as many as you like and wrap in gladwrap. I store them in a plastic bag. Put in the oven frozen and cook when you want.

You can freeze curries.

I make enchiladas and while I have never frozen them I reckon it would be easy. I would put them in the freezer in the tray and once frozen divide into snap lock bags to freeze. To defrost I would unwrap and place in the oven to heat through.
A few things I cooked and froze before my son was born:

homemade sausage rolls
homemade rissoles
fried rice
little quiches & quiches sliced up into serving portions
chicken curry that has stacks of vegies in it - gets served with pasta
chicken asparagus - gets served with rice
curried salmon - also gets served with rice
couple of pasta bakes
tuna slice dishes - (layer of rice, tuna, white sauce, cheese & breadcrumbs on top)

Pretty sure there was more, but can't think of any at the moment.

if you want any recipes, feel free to ask smile

I freeze a lot of stuff in those "chinese takeaway" containers - buy them at the supermarkets. Also for the bigger stuff, I have a fair few pyrex dishes with the plastic lids that I use.
I make things like lasagne, cottage pie etc in the glass pyrex dishes with lids, freeze like that then defrost on bench and then take lid off and pop in oven to cook....

Other things like soup I freeze in ice cream containers, old margarine containers, and some of the round breastmilk containers (these are actually great as you can pop them out straight into a mug and does a single serve..). smile

I also do pies in the foil trays and wrap with glad wrap to freeze, then again I can just pop in the oven to cook (minus the glad wrap of course)

Things I freeze:
Lasagne
Cottage pie
Mince pie
Sausage meat pie
Chilli con carne
Tomato soup
Pumpkin soup
Green soup
Chicken and ham pie
Sausage pasta
Chicken pasta
Mexican mince

Um.... cant think what else right now.. smile
This a great list of ideas! I too use snaplock bags or the cheapo chinese containers (so that if hubby takes one to lunch for work he can just toss the container). In my freezer at the moment I have:
beef stroganoff
pasta bake
spaghetti bolognaise
tuscan meatballs
white wine and chorizo gnocchi
chicken soup
cauliflower and bacon soup
zucchini soup
lasagne
taco mince
premade rissoles (to be cooked)
premade salmon and sweet potato patties (to be cooked)
Muffins
Banana Bread
Raspberry and Pear Loaf

(my freezer is pretty full!

Sewing my way through pregnancy - www.buttonsandbooties.blogspot.com.au

Wow, there are some fantastic ideas thank you all very much!!

May I ask what type of Lisa come with the Pyrex dishes? Are you referring to the glass Pyrex dishes like the ones from briscoes? None of mine have lids. Just trying to stick up on dishes before I get started. I might but some more plastic containers from countdown for the freezer too.

Thank you smile
Oh and great idea about he snap lock bags too. Loving those recipe ideas, I'm going to be busy! smile
Yep, I have glass dishes with blue lids from briscoes. They stack well like that. smile

But when I make the pies I use the disposable foil ones because I would run out of the glass pyrex ones otherwise and I find they work better that way. smile
TP09 wrote:
Wow, there are some fantastic ideas thank you all very much!!

May I ask what type of Lisa come with the Pyrex dishes? Are you referring to the glass Pyrex dishes like the ones from briscoes? None of mine have lids. Just trying to stick up on dishes before I get started. I might but some more plastic containers from countdown for the freezer too.

Thank you smile

I'm from Australia and my pyrex dishes with lids are either a blue or red lid & I got most of mine from Big W.
When i make dinner, there useally is a left over portain. So ive been freezing that portain in the clear conatiners, labelled with masking tape on the top. Wish i knew about the glad bag idea. ive run out of conatiners but i have full freezer, 38wks today and didnt cook or buy anything extra! the hardest part is keeping my husband away from pre-eating the food.
we have ready to go-
fish cakes
potato bake
tandoori chicken rice
tikka masala rice
beef vindaloo rice
beef black been veg noodles
saguses veg mash potato
beef curry pasta veg

Good Luck every one!
good
Sign in to follow this topic