Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Newborn
  4. After the Birth
  5. menstruation after stopping breastfeeding

menstruation after stopping breastfeeding Rss

Hi,

Does anyone know the average length of time after one stops breastfeeding that menstruation starts?

There appears to be a lot of info about menstruation while a mother is breastfeeding but not once a mother stops.

Thanks
Tracey
i had bubs on the 23/3 and i still haven't got my period. I'm on concraception and at first i thought i was pregnant angain! (god help my husband) but that was negetive. Does anyone know what the deal is???

tash,qld,1st baby

I expressed with my first and one month after I stopped I got my period again. I've spoken about it with all my friends and unfortunately each one of us has had a different experience. I think it all depends on your stress levels, general health and, of course, the hormones.

Peta, NSW, mum of 2 gorgeous girls

I don't know what is average but my Mum doesn't get hers until her babe is 14 months old (her youngest is 1 1/2) and that is on the long end. She didn't used to have that long a wait, maybe your age has something to do with it? My baby is 7 weeks old and I have no signs of my period returning yet... hopefully not til the end of the year smile
PS I have now had my first period after 8 weeks sad and have found out the average time... 22 months! That can sometimes depend on breastfeeding (although I am breastfeeding exclusively; I fall into a 2% catergory) and whether you have had a c-section (as I did).
Edit: Sorry! Just to clarify - I haven't weaned yet; baby was 8 weeks when I got my first period... it doesn't always depend on weaning.
Hi Tracy
I stopped breastfeeding when my daughter was 6wks, I had an IUD put in at 6wks, and i've just got my period at 8 1/2 wks.
I'm 20, and sasha is my first.

Good luck, maybe you could ask your doc.
melissa, sasha 6/1/04

WA Sasha 6/1/04

Hi Peta,

I was just wondering if you BF as well as expressed. I had trouble with my baby attaching and so I ended up expressing for her until she was 6 months old. How long did you express for?

Mum to DD 08.08.03 and DS 12.05.05

My first period was also approx 7 weeks after delivery (my Lochea had only finished about 4 days b4 period started), but I then didn't have another one until my son was 8 months old, despite the fact that I was breastfeeding. A month later I was pregnant again (planned pregnancy)

Rachelle, NZ, son George 10.12.02, Ian 15.06.04

I have asked obst and apparently everyone is different, can be a few weeks after birth even when feeding or not until you have stopped feeding. with both of mine it was when they were 13 months and I was still feeding a bit.Feeding is not a reliable from of contraception, so if that is a worry then see your doctor discuss different options.
Sign in to follow this topic