Huggies Forum

Support Thread - Stepfamilies Lock Rss

Hi everyone,

Welcome to our new support thread for stepfamilies. We hope this becomes a supportive space where you can connect with other step-parents and share your your unique experiences as well as your encouragement.

Many thanks again for our on-going member suggestions, they add so much value and depth to our site smile]
Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Who else from Huggies is in a step family situation?

Hey, I am too. My DF has a seven year old daughter from his previous relationship. My DD is just over 8 months now.

I am! grin I'm a mum to my partners daughter who is now 3 1/2 been her mum since she 9 months old and we have given her two sisters 1 1/2 n 8 months smile

Jess - http://www.playtimemagic.co.nz

I am too!!

I am step mum to 2 boys that are 14 and & a girl that's 11 and together we have a daughter who's 11 months old tomorrow smile

Hi everyone, I am a step mum too, to two boys, aged 4 1/2 and 6. I have a daughter who is 16 months and another bub due at Christmas.

I will confess and say that I emailed the mods and asked if they could start this thread for us. I struggle to be a step parent and really hate it most of the time, but some times there are good times too.

I thought it would be good if there was somewhere we could go and chat, about the good times and the bad times. And to chat to people who understand where we are up to.

I also thought it would be good to get some thoughts on people who are the parent of the step child and also those who have been part of blended families.

Step parenting is not easy, and i hope that we can find some support here among each other.

Take care and I look forward to chatting to you all.

Cheers

Sue

I am in a stepfamily situation but I really only consider myself stepmum to my husbands youngest son as his other 2 children (girls, 20 & 21) choose not to like me. I have been married to my husband for 4 years now but we have been together for 7 years. We have a baby boy on the way (due in about 1 and a half months)and I am very conserned about how the girls will treat him as they are yet to even acknowlege my pregnancy. I am very angry and hurt by this but my husband just pretends that nothing is wrong. I feel very unsupported with regards to how they are alowed to treat me also.

bens mumma

Hi Moshe,

Congrats on your little bundle of joy. Being a step mum is never easy, and I don't know that there are any right words to say in your situation.

In some ways it is not a bad thing if you and the girls have made the decision not to deal with each other, and as for your DH not being supportive, I have to say I have found that to be the case with my partner when it comes to his boys. We have been together 4 years, and whenever there is a conflict surrounding his kids, he takes their side.

I don't know that it will ever change, it is something about them and their kids.

But that said, don't feel like you are alone out there. Us Huggies Step parents are here for you. We cannot solve your problems, but can be here to chat.

You never know what might happen, but maybe once your little man is here, the older girls might have a change of heart. It is very hard to ignore a beautiful little bub, and especially one that is your brother.

Take care and keep your chin up. Anytime you want to chat, we are here.

All the best....

hi,
I have been in a relationship with my partner for just over a year now and we have a 5mth daughter, i also have a 9yr son and my partner has 2 boys 14 and 12 to previous partners. what i am having issues with is the way my partners 12yrold is such a spoilt and rude little s****, i know thats not very nice but i dont know how to deal with him!!!!!I try talking to my partner but he doesnt see the problem, i just feel like i dont know where i stand in whetheri can discipline him as he is only ever rude to his father and i dont like the way he speaks to him as my son is picking up on it, dont know what to do, any suggestions?

Awesome thread! I have been with DH for 7 years now and initially his kids weren't in the picture at all because we lived in one place and they were in another. I was really young when we got together and I had no idea what I was in for. His boys are now 11 and 8 and we have spent so much time and money on family court trying to get access to them and it seems like such a waste because the mother disregards the orders. Grrrr......
We have a 26 month old and a 10 month old girl and another baby due in March and true to form, the ex has started causing problems for us again. I keep thinking, "Why me?" which is probably selfish but I am upset that every pregnancy gets ruined by having to go through family court or having family taking sides etc. Oh and I hear you on the way DH backs the kids over you. It is so demoralising and unfair!
Anyways, thanks for strating the thread. I don't have much of a chance to vent about the step parent thing and the few times I have posted about it in General I have been attacked by some members and made to feel like an awful person!
Posted by: ~Two*Tinkerbells~
Anyways, thanks for strating the thread. I don't have much of a chance to vent about the step parent thing and the few times I have posted about it in General I have been attacked by some members and made to feel like an awful person!

Hey, I totally get that bit! My step-daughter is hardly ever here so I don't really have much to talk about step-family wise lol and when I do need to vent people always jump on you like you're such a bad person and you need to grow up because they're just a child. Oh well.

When me and DF first got together he had her every weekend but he's changed jobs since then and doesn't get to see her as much cause he works weekends now.

Does anyone else find it hard having a step-child? I think part of it is I kinda forget DF has another child because I don't think about her really when she's not here so every now and then we just have an extra child in the house for a few days and she's always really rude to my DD!

Hi. Im step mum to my hubbys twin sons.
The were 4 when i got together with there dad and have been step mum for 4 years.
The 1st 2 years were tough as they didnt really know how to accept me.
Im more there friend then there step mumas they already have a mum.
They wouldnt admit they love me but they do!! lol.
We have now got 2 beautiful girls ourselves and the boys adore them.
They are always willing to help out with them.
I wanted to be with hubby so the boys were never an issue.
The boys are now 14 1/2.

Sign in to follow this topic