Huggies Forum

20 month old won't sleep through Lock Rss

Hi there,
I have a 20 month old daughter who has started waking at least 2....or 3,4,5 times a night. She was getting to the point where she was sleeping through most nights but about a month ago started waking up again. Sometimes wants a bottle but not always. She is in her own bed and we have to lie with her until she settles, some nights she is so disturbed that she has to come into our bed so that we can have some sleep. The child health nurse said to check her and see if she needs anything then leave her to cry but if we leave her she gets hysterical and won't settle at all. We also have a 3 1/2 month old and a 5 year old with autism who sleep in rooms near her and she wakes them too. often by the time I've gone from baby to toddler to baby again...dozed for 10 mins then do it over again I only get 2 or 3 hours of sleep a night and am just about at the end of my rope and getting them all down for a sleep at the same time in the arvo so that I can have a kip just doesn't happen, do you have any suggestions?

Erin,W.A. kids 12,5,2 and 1

Hi Erin,

Laying with your daughter until she falls asleep is her sleep association and when she wakes on her light sleep (as we all do) she looks around and you are not there and then she doesn't know how to resettle without your comfort.

If you want to change this and get her to sleep independently then she will need to fall asleep on her own to start with. You will also need to stop giving her the bottle when she wakes beacause this too is a sleep association, she needs this and your comfort to return to sleep.

I don't suggest just letting her cry it out instead I would suggest that you implement some settling techniques. If she is still in a cot you could use our 6 to 12 month settling techniques where we are out of the room for 2 mins and then in the room for 2 mins and then 4,6,8,10. You can get details for the settling program on <a href="http://www.huggies.com/au/pregnancy_parenting/yourbabysleep/">Your Baby’s Sleep</a> page or from <a href="It's time to sleep</a"http://www.itstimetosleep.com/">It's Time To Sleep</a> DVD&Book.

It can be a tough week or so but keep in mind that what you are doing now is also very hard and in a short time everyone will be happier. Best of luck

Cheers Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Sign in to follow this topic