Huggies Forum

Waking during the night @ 8 months Lock Rss

My 8 and a half month old son had been sleeping through the night since he was a couple of months old. In the last week he has suddenly decided to start waking up anywhere between 12.30 and 3.30am, he wakes up crying and if not attended to straight away, stands up in his cot crying VERY loudly! As soon as he is given a cuddle he settles down and will go to sleep in my arms, but as soon as I put him back in his cot he starts crying again. I eventually give up trying to settle him in his cot and let him come back to bed with me where he can have a cuddle.
I'm back at work full-time and have been for the past couple of months, so I can't spend half the night trying to settle him. What can I do to ensure he sleeps in his cot throughout the night without waking for a cuddle? Mummy & daddy need sleep too!!!
Any advise/hints/tips would be hugely appreciated!!

Michelle,SA, Lachlan & Holly

Hi Michelle,

I think you are smart to do something about this before it gets too far down the track. Your son has probably been going through 8month separation anxiety and this is when it is easy for us to get into some habits that you mentioned. I suggest that you start to resettle him using the settling techniques in <a href="http://www.huggies.com/au/pregnancy_parenting/yourbabysleep/">Your Baby’s Sleep</a> section instead of the cuddle and into your bed. You will all benefit from it.

Best of luck, Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Sign in to follow this topic