Huggies Forum

12 month old wakes twice per night Lock Rss

My son is nearly 12 months old and for the last six months has woken several times a night - terrible.

In that time we've had a thousand excuses - illness, a move overseas, he's very "advanced", teething ...

And he does sleep well during the day - one or two sleeps of an hour and half.

So he gets his 12 hours of sleep, he just wants to see mummy at 11.30 and 4.00. And since she's there anyway a booby feed would be nice. It's not even as if he's hungry, he just calls out until I go to him. grrr.

Do you think weaning him will help?

Hi,

You sound very frustrated! No need to wean him, but you could try our settling techniques in <a href="http://www.huggies.com/au/pregnancy_parenting/yourbabysleep/">Your Baby’s Sleep</a> section instead of offering the feed at 11.30 and 4am just go straight into the settling. You need to follow this program for ALL sleeps to make it work best for you.

Cheers Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Hi Maree,

thanks for this advice (and all the others - I've been reading everyone else's stories too and it helps a lot!)

It's three-four weeks later now. And for a while everything was good. We got him down to just a single 5.00 am wake and feed. (And it felt like we were the best parents on Earth!)

But last night he woke 4 times. yes, 4! Once his dad held him/calmed him to sleep within 5 minutes, but the other 3 times were terrible... And today we are white, shaking wrecks.

Why? Why this regression? How long DOES it take for good habits to stick? Why do some babies wake and others not? Regardless of what we try, can we hope that at some age he will just "grow out of it"? If so, what age?

At this rate there is NO POSSIBILITY of any siblings!

Thanks for listening!

Hi Moira,

Many babies regress after a few weeks, just to try you out. They liked it the old way. You are doing a great job, try to persist you know he can do it now - you’ll get there.

Cheers Maree (P.S. I waited 10 years to have my second!)

It's Time to Sleep

Hi Maree,

Thought you'd appreciate an update (and a pat on the back!).

Baby is behaving like an angel nowadays.

Bedtime about 8.30 (Dad gives him a bottle, so we know he is chockers full!), then not a peep out of him until somewhere between 6.00 and 7.00.

There might be the occasional mid-night stir for a quick sip of water because of the heat, but otherwise nothing from him.

I had one last question - he also sleeps for an hour to an hour and a half each afternoon. Is 11 hours in total about right for a 13-month-old?

Once again, thanks to everyone else who posts - it's comforting to see so many other non-sleeping babies are out there.
Hi,

Congratulations on a job well done, keep up the great work. Yes I would be happy with those hours of sleep. Let tired signs be your guide to napping.

Cheers Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Sign in to follow this topic