Huggies Forum

21mth old still waking through the night Lock Rss

My son was a fantastic sleeper up until the age of 8 mths when he began teething. 9 weeks of virtually no sleep we went to sleep settling clinic, which worked great, even got rid of the dummy. However, quite a few weeks later it all started again with the next lot of teeth and dummy was back (however this poses no problems now). At 11 mths I unfortunately had to return to work and into kinder he went 2 or 3 times a week. Here I noticed a huge change in his behaviour, becoming very clingly with me and wanting alot of comfort and reasurrance which I didnt mind giving considering I felt guilty enough having to leave him with strangers 3 days a week and put it down to seperation anxiety. Sleeping slowly became more and more of a problem, in between the teething and always getting sick from kinder he began coming in our bed of a night, anywhere from 1.00am to 4.00am, and being as tired as we were it was a rare occasion to try and resettle him back into his own bed. Or I would bring him to bed with me when he was running high temperatures, which seemed to be all the time.
I have since pulled him out of kinder (babysitting grandparents), which has improved his behaviour, but the sleep patterns have remained the same, (great sleeper during the day). We have the occassional sleep right through but not often. Yes its an excuss but we are so tired we cant get up and resettle him, but we have to. Please help as we are expecting our second child in a few months and we want to get his sleeping under control.
Hi,

Is your son going to sleep on his own and in his bed at night when he first goes down?
I don’t think I need to tell you that you need to persist with putting him back if you want to change the situation. It is really hard when you’re so tired, I know, but try to remember if you can persist then everyone will be so much happier for it and it probably won’t be any harder than what you are already doing.

Best of luck, Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Sign in to follow this topic